Video: Nasty scam targeting old pick-ups caught on tape

webfact

Video: Nasty scam targeting old pick-ups caught on tape

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A video posted on Facebook shows what police say is a scam to get motorists to part with money for minor scrapes.

The footage posted by good Samaritan driver "Pairoj Familyman" shows two cars hemming in a pick-up on the Bang Pa-In to Bang Pahan road (Route 347) on Saturday, reported Thairath.

Pairoj catches what happens on his dash cam then catches up with the pick-up driver to say he has the footage and give him his phone number if he needs it later.

He was soon contacted by the pick-up driver to say that both cars had driven up to him and demanded 8,000 baht for damage to their vehicles.

But when the driver called Pairoj and it was clear there was footage they backed down saying "May pen rai" , they would let their insurance sort it out. They then drove off.

And now it emerges they were just looking for another victim.

Pairoj stopped for gas but continuing his journey said that he saw the same black car involved in a dispute with another old pick-up by the side of the road. This time he had no footage and decided he could not meddle but he called the police and told them about what he had seen.

"Credit the force, "said Pairoj," they came out fast but once again the driver of the pick-up had refused to be intimidated and the black

car had driven off before they arrived".

Police in the area said that it was a scam to con drivers out of money for scrapes. They are examining the dash cam footage in an attempt to arrest those responsible.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-15

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Well done, Pairoj Familyman. Utterly despise con artists, thieves etc. Let's hope the cops do good and catch them, or better still, these low-lives try it on with the wrong martian and get shot!

Like this?IMG_2893.JPG

Edited by Bluespunk

Surely this does not make sense,they damage 2 cars by squeezing

a pickup,then demand 8,000 for damage,it would cost more to have

the cars repaired ?,so unless the cars are stolen,this crime will not pay.

regards worgeordie

15 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. 

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

It's only a light touch so there isn't going to be a lot of damage but perhaps there is damage there already that the scammers claim is new damage each time.  Each time they do it will put a little more damage on the vehicle so I suppose the scammers are able to claim more money each time for a bigger repair.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, ezrider62 said:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. 

They find 8 pick ups to crash per day. 64,000 per day. They don't intent on fixing until at the end of the month when they count their revenue of 1.9million. They then get an expensive paint job, plus full wax and polish done at 100,000 each for two cars. Good profit.

Its not only Thailand.  I had a scammer cut in front of me and put on the brakes driving a beat up Ford Taurus in the good old USA.  The cops came and were wise to the trick and told the offender's to sod off.  The automotive version of ransomware.  F#@kers anyway...

This kind of scam happens in the UK too.  A car in front and another behind.  The one at the back drives close to the back of you and the one in the front brakes sharply, the one behind hit you, causing you to hit the front car in the rear.  The rear car is stollen, so you cannot claim from its insurance.  They own the front car and claim from your insurance company for the reapair.  They don't ask for cash.

Just do a hard left turn as the pick up driver and the black car is sent to the ditch.....go on driving and not worry

reminds me on my time living in Venezuela....you never stop , better take the gun and shoot...hahahahaha thats how i have learned to survive these things

1 hour ago, Bantex said:

Yet another reminder of the need for dash cams in vehicles.

Can anyone recommend front and rear HD version suitable for a pickup and capable of reading numberplates by day or night? My current cam is pretty good but needs an upgrade.

Note: I want the rear of the pickup (Vigo) covered rather than the inside as per a duel lens model. I'll probably need a monitor/console/screen thing too as there isn't one in the car.

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If the pick up driver drove sensibly and correctly (ie in the inside lane) it would not have happened.

are we watching the same clip,

when the pick up first comes into view, the white car is in the nearside lane, the black car in the middle , pick up moves to the offside lane to overtake, as he does so the white car pulls right up his backside, pushing him on, he then starts to pull back to the middle lane, as the pickup is straddling the centre line the black car speeds up and the white car pulls along side him, making him the meat in the sandwich,( one more in front and one behind and it would be a good police stop.) there is no need to watch as i have explained it as simply as i can