Anyone experiencing a drop in speeds wth AIS fibre?  

arkom

On the PowerHome 100/10 package and been using it for about 4 months and it has been rock solid, always getting 100+ mbps whenever running a speed test. This week it seems that my speeds have dropped significantly, my speed tests from Ookla and Testmy.net have varied from 10-50 mbps.  Playing videos on YouTube and watching Netflix takes longer than normal to load, and for some reason my IP address is now showing that I am I Khon Kaen, instead of Bangkok.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I just had AIS "fiber" installed but as it connects through a DSL port into a normal phone socket it would seem I'm not getting what was advertised.

If you live in condo, that is perfectly normal. They won't let anybody drill cables into rooms.

I just had AIS "fiber" installed but as it connects through a DSL port into a normal phone socket it would seem I'm not getting what was advertised.

What you got was fiber to your building/condo like to a ground floor fiber termination/transtion point and then a
from that point a VDSL connection via copper phone/xDSL wire to your residence. Quite common as wiring already in your building is (must) being used for the final X-meters.

Usually to get fiber all the way to your router and the higherspeed packages you must live on a lower floor (like no higher than 3rd floor), the fiber run is easy to do, and building management allow the fiber run vs requiring current building wiring being used. Or you live in a house.

Otherwise you be limited to a 50 to 75Mb speed package and most likely VDSL.

Back home now....just run some tests (around 2pm on this Saturday) to Singapore using testmy.net and speedtest.net on my PowerHome AIS Fibre 100/10.  Results below.    

Now although the tesst below are very similar in speed that is not the norm.  Testmy.net is a tougher test than Speedtest.net.  I can pull 100Mb speeds on Speedtest.net pretty much all the time, but not so on testmy.net.   To Singapore my results on testmy.net will range in the 80 to 100Mb ballpark while speedtest.net will give me around 100Mb results pretty much all the time.   And of course time of day-night can make a big difference in results especially on testmy.net.  Additionally, getting 10-50Mb differences between the two testers can easily occur depending on where you are testing to like to the US/Europe....once again, speedtest.net will usually give you faster results (sometimes a lot faster) than testmy.net.

capture.jpg

6062516852.png

Regarding IP Location that depends significantly in the database(s) contained in whatever database the IP Location website uses.  I'm in Bangkok also, but testmy.net will say I'm in Udon Thani.  You might want to give www.iplocation.net a try as it uses several databases to give IP location info.   Like for me it gave 5 different locations based on 5 different databases....one database said Bangkok, one database said Samut Sakhon (a province bordering Bangkok) and three databases said Nakhon Pathom (a province bordering Bangkok).  Yeap, all depends in the IP location website you use and the database(s) the website uses to obtain IP location data.

Edited by Pib