Where do you live

Deepinthailand

Where do you live  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

I work 60 hours a week so have little desire to build something I cannot own outright in my name, luckily my employer covers my housing costs.

You must not be a resident Don - my understanding is in theory if you have/invest enough money (40 million baht I seem to recall) in Thailand you actually can own a small plot of land (1 rai) and build on it.

I don't have enough money though, quite happy for my wife and children to own the land. :smile: and I do not know any person who has put this 'Theory' to the test.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You must not be a resident Don - my understanding is in theory if you have/invest enough money (40 million baht I seem to recall) in Thailand you actually can own a small plot of land (1 rai) and build on it.

I don't have enough money though, quite happy for my wife and children to own the land. :smile: and I do not know any person who has put this 'Theory' to the test.

I don't believe ive ever said I was a resident.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah not a fulltime resident would be the same as not a resident.

Really not a resident who is out of the country for a week every couple of months then?

And Chiang Mai stated below

You appear to be far more of a resident than several posters who visit for three weeks twice a year and spend the rest of the year posting on TVF from their bedsit in Little Piddlington By The Sea/Near The Gasworks.

Edited by 473geo

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Really not a resident who is out of the country for a week every couple of months then?

And Chiang Mai stated below

You appear to be far more of a resident than several posters who visit for three weeks twice a year and spend the rest of the year posting on TVF from their bedsit in Little Piddlington By The Sea/Near The Gasworks.

As I do not have permanent residency or citizenship I believe Iam classed as an Alien.

Edited by Don Mega

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Have lived with my Thai wife in Fang a couple of hours North of Chiang Mai for just over five years

Great place would never live anywhere else

Just finished reading a fascinating book which includes a lot of history about your area approx. 70 years ago.  Focuses on the hill tribes, and frequently refers to their forays into the Fang valley.  Ascent to the Tribes, by Isobel Kuhn, 1999, OMF; avail. thru Amazon.  

Edited by Fookhaht

Live in the exact geographic center of Isaan.  I didn't choose this area.  It chose me.  In hindsight (15 years later), wouldn't have it any other way.  To me, the best possible combination of professional work and country living.  

Edited by Fookhaht

Why is this such a big debate? I never understood why posters get their underwear all twisted up in the cracks of their butt over it.

There are likely many full timers that have seen or engaged in very little, conversely there are probably some part timer folks who see a more because they travel around etc during their stay. It all depends on the make up of the individual as I see it. I like the poll  DeepinThailand started but one would question the integrity of the data as I suspect many will not tell the truth in fear that some how they will not be accepted or respected on TVF which is really an odd behavior

I work here like Don Mega, in fact most of the 10 years I have been involved with and living in Thailand I have been employed. I get out a lot and do many things and have been all around Thailand at one time or another. Its just another country not some elite place to live. Can I speak cognizantly on things that happen around here...sure,  I live it day to day as a homeowner, vehicles, insurance, bills etc. Does that make me smarter or better than the part time guy, nah. It just means I am deeper entrenched here than that individual. 

Sure there are the visitors that come for 2 weeks a year and try and spout like they know it all, whatever works. Everyone has an opinion and can freely post it on TVF but one has to be prepared that if what they post is nonsense they will be called to mat on it by the people that know better.  

Working here gives you a greater understanding and exposure to different types of Thais, how things are are for them, business and work practices, legal practices.

Travel does not for the average 50+ brigade.

part timers know very little, because they just repeat the same experience.

plus this board is dominated by experiences in Issarn from retirees married to a poorly educated women point of view ....that in itself is limiting, so when people comment on general Thai behaviour it's very narrow and for the most part something I don't recognise and I have lived here since I left university 39 years ago. There are some universal truths but I only see those from people who have been here a long time, then I recognise those who know something.Part timers have no clue..yes experience is everything. Experience of traveling here, marrying here, educating your children here, made unemployed here, being sick here, needing the police here, using the courts and institutions, knowing your rights even, not bending over because you are a farang like most farang do here..and most of all knowing the language..no a part timer will no very little..they don't even have the opportunity to observe as they are not here..and from the post made on here, that is evident.

3 hours ago, huawei said:

Working here gives you a greater understanding and exposure to different types of Thais, how things are are for them, business and work practices, legal practices.

plus this board is dominated by experiences in Issarn from retirees married to a poorly educated women point of view ....that in itself is limiting, so when people comment on general Thai behaviour it's very narrow and for the most part something I don't recognise and I have lived here since I left university 39 years ago. There are some universal truths but I only see those from people who have been here a long time, then I recognise those who know something.Part timers have no clue..yes experience is everything. Experience of traveling here, marrying here, educating your children here, made unemployed here, being sick here, needing the police here, using the courts and institutions, knowing your rights even, not bending over because you are a farang like most farang do here..and most of all knowing the language..no a part timer will no very little..they don't even have the opportunity to observe as they are not here..and from the post made on here, that is evident.

Oh dear oh dear if ever there was a troll post this is it. Either that or dripping with Sarcasm :smile:

Let us take this part

".Part timers have no clue..yes experience is everything. Experience of traveling here, marrying here, educating your children here, made unemployed here, being sick here, needing the police here, using the courts and institutions"

ExperieceTravelling here - I have used every mode of transport in Thailand, I have travelled 600 klms to Surin on every mode of transport. Once 600 klms in the back of a pick up overnight! I have travelled to Phuket, Chiang Mai, I use the local songthew to travel into town.

Marrying here - I am married, I married here in a local ceremony and completed the documentation at the Amphur. 

Educating your children here - I have two children schooling at local schools in Thailand

Made unemployed here - I never really looked on Thailand as a place I would seek be employed  - although my company has recognised I may appreciate the offer to work 'from Home' if the opportunity arose. That would be another experience.

Sick here - Have been well treated a couple of times here for minor scrapes, 30 stitches when I slipped and fell on a beer bottle, infected mosquito bite, and was in the hospital when my wife gave birth, was present for all the paperwork.

Needing the police here - visitors who go up country to their homes are requested to notify the local police, being a frequent visitor I know them well, often they come and chat to me about football, one of them runs a blog about Spurs. Sure have never required any other service so far. But then I don't see showing people respect as "Bending over"

using the courts and institutions - I instigated the Amphur marriage and assisted the officials being the first foreigner to marry at this Amphur. At first I was told it could not be done. I guided the officials through the procedure - guess what with the help of Thai visa. I went with my children to get them their first passport and followed the process, I visited the land office with my wife when we mortgaged a bit of land. I followed the chanote and land transfer process for land purchase by my wife. I regularly use the banking system and we hold accounts in 2 Thai banks. I move funds in and out of Thailand.

Sorry guys I know I am going on at length here, but please understand posts such as the above exude limited understanding!! Got to be trolling

Living in the South of Thailand. 4 years Ko Samui, three years Khanom.

Now considering to move to Chiang Rai, Lampang or Pak Chong. Just for a change.

Anyone got any recommendations. I am looking for a quiet place with about one or more rai of land around the house to rent.

I wonder how the 'experienced' resident with the black eye and 'Size 5' imprinted on his forehead is getting along?

Perhaps he was following the advice of our resident friend Huawei  "not bending over because you are a farang like most farang do here"

Well the guy is now experiencing knowing your rights, being sick here, needing the Thai police, and possibly later using the courts and institutions 

Not the way I would have chosen to gain experience myself, but you know 'Residents' will be 'Residents' :smile:

6 hours ago, 473geo said:
10 hours ago, huawei said:

Oh dear oh dear if ever there was a troll post this is it. Either that or dripping with Sarcasm :smile:

Let us take this part

".Part timers have no clue..yes experience is everything. Experience of traveling here, marrying here, educating your children here, made unemployed here, being sick here, needing the police here, using the courts and institutions"

ExperieceTravelling here - I have used every mode of transport in Thailand, I have travelled 600 klms to Surin on every mode of transport. Once 600 klms in the back of a pick up overnight! I have travelled to Phuket, Chiang Mai, I use the local songthew to travel into town.

Marrying here - I am married, I married here in a local ceremony and completed the documentation at the Amphur. 

Educating your children here - I have two children schooling at local schools in Thailand

Made unemployed here - I never really looked on Thailand as a place I would seek be employed  - although my company has recognised I may appreciate the offer to work 'from Home' if the opportunity arose. That would be another experience.

Sick here - Have been well treated a couple of times here for minor scrapes, 30 stitches when I slipped and fell on a beer bottle, infected mosquito bite, and was in the hospital when my wife gave birth, was present for all the paperwork.

Needing the police here - visitors who go up country to their homes are requested to notify the local police, being a frequent visitor I know them well, often they come and chat to me about football, one of them runs a blog about Spurs. Sure have never required any other service so far. But then I don't see showing people respect as "Bending over"

using the courts and institutions - I instigated the Amphur marriage and assisted the officials being the first foreigner to marry at this Amphur. At first I was told it could not be done. I guided the officials through the procedure - guess what with the help of Thai visa. I went with my children to get them their first passport and followed the process, I visited the land office with my wife when we mortgaged a bit of land. I followed the chanote and land transfer process for land purchase by my wife. I regularly use the banking system and we hold accounts in 2 Thai banks. I move funds in and out of Thailand.

Sorry guys I know I am going on at length here, but please understand posts such as the above exude limited understanding!! Got to be trolling

You hardly sound like a part timer so you basically just proved Huawei's point.

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

I wonder how the 'experienced' resident with the black eye and 'Size 5' imprinted on his forehead is getting along?

Perhaps he was following the advice of our resident friend Huawei  "not bending over because you are a farang like most farang do here"

Well the guy is now experiencing knowing your rights, being sick here, needing the Thai police, and possibly later using the courts and institutions 

Not the way I would have chosen to gain experience myself, but you know 'Residents' will be 'Residents' :smile:

I stand behind my original premise that the part time or occasional visitor to Thailand does not acquire anything close to the same amount of knowledge about the country and all therein as does the longer term resident, statistically, mathematically and in every other way that is hugely improbable. Whether you are or are not in either camp is another story, you tell us you are a casual visitor yet you are a repeat casual visitor, a hybrid to the argument, perhaps. Have you acquired some knowledge about Thailand, yes, is it to the same degree as a longer term resident, who knows and frankly who really cares, although it's interesting to read your arguments suggesting you might albeit there's a a strong element of "though doth protesteth too much" therein!. Regardless, my initial point was not about whether hybrids are a good source of reliable information on Thailand, it was a shot at casual infrequent visitors who pretend on TVF to know far more than they actually do and invariably get things wrong when trying to dish out advice and guidance to newbies - that shot was well aimed and appropriate and remains valid and highly relevant.

Came here on a 6 week assignment in '98. Only stayed because I couldn't face going back to work in Japan...

I am from UK, I live in Saphan Sung, just a few mins walk from the airport link.

Work at home, wife, 2 kids, 500 gekkos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrived to live and work here 1990 living ( the dream still) in Issan.

I can not see how working here gives anyone a better insight to Thai's in any form. Work/retire /holiday for month to months all the same in my eyes. The only way to try to get an insight into Thailand is just  to live it. Helps if you can understand at least a bit of the language of course. Never been tempted to leave and never will.