New Visas in the pipeline?

Interesting article being run in the Pattaya weekly's, regarding new types of visas. Could be a big change in August regarding airport arrivals according to the announcement being spoken about on the second page. Not really a surprise though considering the rules that have been implemented at land crossings.

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Could be a big change in August regarding airport arrivals according to the announcement being spoken about on the second page.

Announced by who and when? I expect visa exempt airport arrivals will get restricted again at some point, but I haven't seen or heard of any changes planned for August.

The rest of the article doesn't tell us anything new and contains factual errors and comments that could unnecessarily concern some people, again!

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Announced by who and when? I expect visa exempt airport arrivals will get restricted again at some point, but I haven't seen or heard of any changes planned for August.

The rest of the article doesn't tell us anything new and contains factual errors and comments that could unnecessarily concern some people, again!

I have no idea by 'Who' exactly the same as I have no idea by 'Who' exactly sets the standards on a daily basis at consulates and Embassy's throughout the region. I assume by the same Police and Immigration setup that set the immigration rules in the first place? Why not contact Immigration and ask if they really are going to stop people living here continually on tourist visas.

Edited by Lovethailandelite

The title of the post is new visas. The Elite visa is pretty good if u think about it. About $15000 for 5 years. So $3000 per year. An unmarried person or a person who can't get another type of long term stamp would probably spend close to or more than $15k total on visa trips over a 5 year period anyway (if they were here all that time). My last visa trip was a week and including hotels, flights, the fee to enter Laos, taxis, and everything else, was over $800. I do realize a lot of folks don't have an extra $15k in their account.

Some people aren't sure if they will be here 5 years. Would be nice if a 2 year visa was available that could just be paid for like the Elite visa as it would be in line with the theme that they just want more money. Maybe something like $7000 for 2 years would be fair. A few ppl I know can afford the Elite but they can't be sure what they are doing after 12-18 more months so they risk a lost value on the investment if they bought Elite then went somewhere else after a couple years. 

Just my thoughts I guess. I don't make the rules. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Bar rumors in Pattya again.

I don't go into Bars so don't judge posts on your own standards. The main stream newspapers in Pattaya were running it. Maybe the doubters will at some stage get a personal visit from immigration to run it by them just to confirm your OK with it?
Why not contact immigration or the papers that are running it and ask about it? I can supply a phone number direct to the Editors desk if it helps? It would save your 'Bar rumour' talk.

15 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

The average thai here in phuket has been devastated by the government  crack downs.

No money. No tourists. Thats all i hear from thai people i know.

But then you read stuff like this saying tourism is booming.

Whatever.

Cant fool me.

This article claims chinese are huge spenders now.

What changed since yesterday.

Looking around here the clientele has changed considerably.Its busy but with family's not single guys filling the bars. The Russians are also back but again family's again and also they are actually nice enough people, not what we had before. I am out some 18 klm outside of Pattaya though. The restaurants are busy here, big seafood restaurants with up to 400 covers full night after night. The shops are busy as are the hotels so I don't see tourism as being down. I think people have moved on from the same old Pattaya and Phuket. It certainly wouldn't be my idea of a holiday destination anymore. IMO, the days of the single European guys and the bar scene is over. Even the big Go Go's are full of Chinese, Singaporeans, Koreans etc spending big money. Far more than we would ever spend.

The Chinese certainly do spend. I have a lot of Chinese friends who laugh when they here the claims of them not spending. They just don't frequent the same places we do.

3 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I have no idea by 'Who' exactly the same as I have no idea by 'Who' exactly sets the standards on a daily basis at consulates and Embassy's throughout the region. I assume by the same Police and Immigration setup that set the immigration rules in the first place? Why not contact Immigration and ask if they really are going to stop people living here continually on tourist visas.

Exactly. The writer of the article doesn't quote the source of their claim so for now I think it's best to ignor it as poor journalism/speculation/rumour-mongering. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Exactly. The writer of the article doesn't quote the source of their claim so for now I think it's best to ignor it as poor journalism/speculation/rumour-mongering. 

Like you did the reports of needing a TM30 when it first surfaced you mean? Why would you expect a special announcement for passport checks at the airport anyway? They should should already be doing it. I very much doubt it's rumour considering the editor allows nearly a complete front page to go to press. Somebody knows something.

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Like you did the reports of needing a TM30 when it first surfaced you mean? Why would you expect a special announcement for passport checks at the airport anyway? They should should already be doing it. I very much doubt it's rumour considering the editor allows nearly a complete front page to go to press. Somebody knows something.

I don't expect a special announcement. This article is claiming an announcement has been made about a change happening in August. I don't believe it without the source of this rumour.

Airport IO's have been "scrutinising" the over use of visa exempt entries since guidance was issused to them in 2014. So what is being reported as happening from August is already happening.

The only change I see happening is a return to limiting visa exempt entries as we had between 2006-08. And that will probably only happen if the softly approach being used for the last two years doesn't reduce numbers and pushes more people to getting visas.

Just now, elviajero said:

I don't expect a special announcement. This article is claiming an announcement has been made about a change happening in August. I don't believe it without the source of this rumour.

Airport IO's have been "scrutinising" the over use of visa exempt entries since guidance was issused to them in 2014. So what is being reported as happening from August is already happening.

The only change I see happening is a return to limiting visa exempt entries as we had between 2006-08. And that will probably only happen if the softly approach being used for the last two years doesn't reduce numbers and pushes more people to getting visas.

Read it. It isn't visa exempts that are being spoken about. It's visas which are designed to be used for short term stay and to ascertain or not if people are 'living here without a prior and approved visa'.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If changes are to happen I would think they are likely to be ones that encourage long-term visas, like the much discussed 10 year retirement visa and the multiple entry tourist visa, and some restrictions on repeated visa exempt entries.

They want people on the correct visas for staying here long term as you have stated.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Read it. It isn't visa exempts that are being spoken about. It's visas which are designed to be used for short term stay and to ascertain or not if people are 'living here without a prior and approved visa'.

"Read it." Back at you!!

The part of the article I'm referring to refers to "visa runs" which is the common term used for people using back to back visa exemption (no visa).

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

"Read it." Back at you!!

The part of the article I'm referring to refers to "visa runs" which is the common term used for people using back to back visa exemption (no visa).

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

"Read it." Back at you!!

Your so in denial its crippling! lol
Is a 'Visa run' only classed a visa exempt now days? That's cool then that the part referring to ascertain or not if people are 'living here without a prior and approved visa' means nothing? I suggest in that case not putting yourself forward as an immigration lawyer :smile:

44 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Your so in denial its crippling! lol
Is a 'Visa run' only classed a visa exempt now days? That's cool then that the part referring to ascertain or not if people are 'living here without a prior and approved visa' means nothing? I suggest in that case not putting yourself forward as an immigration lawyer :smile:

In denial of what exactly?

Visa run according to guidance issued to IO's in June 2014 (see quote below). Notice of this guidance was issued to foreign embassies at the time.

1. Information checking
    1.1 Purpose of entering the Kingdom

The alien must enter the Kingdom with the sole purpose of tourism, and not for work. 1.2 Record of entry and stay within the Kingdom

2. 1.2.1 A number of entry into the Kingdom
    1.2.2 The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30­day visa exemptions undertaking method “in­out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country. 

If you have been here long enough you would know that thousands of foreigners used to do monthly "visa runs" to utilise visa exempt entries to extend their stay in the country.

Again, the part of the article I am referring to is referring to "visa runs" or out/in visa exempt entry.

Since 2006 they have been clamping down on this practice. What is being suggested as happening in August has been happening for years and the only further change they could make would be going back to limiting the number of entries. If they do that it will almost certainly be announced. As yet, contrary to claims in this article, no such announcement has been made.

46 minutes ago, elviajero said:

In denial of what exactly?

Visa run according to guidance issued to IO's in June 2014 (see quote below). Notice of this guidance was issued to foreign embassies at the time.

1. Information checking
    1.1 Purpose of entering the Kingdom

The alien must enter the Kingdom with the sole purpose of tourism, and not for work. 1.2 Record of entry and stay within the Kingdom

2. 1.2.1 A number of entry into the Kingdom
    1.2.2 The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30­day visa exemptions undertaking method “in­out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country. 

If you have been here long enough you would know that thousands of foreigners used to do monthly "visa runs" to utilise visa exempt entries to extend their stay in the country.

Again, the part of the article I am referring to is referring to "visa runs" or out/in visa exempt entry.

Since 2006 they have been clamping down on this practice. What is being suggested as happening in August has been happening for years and the only further change they could make would be going back to limiting the number of entries. If they do that it will almost certainly be announced. As yet, contrary to claims in this article, no such announcement has been made.

You are quite clearly incapable of understanding so I will let you have the last word. I am absolutely still none the wiser as to exactly what you are expecting in the way of an announcement about regarding living here on what is quite clearly amounting to a Tourist visa issue. Never mind. 

57 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You are quite clearly incapable of understanding so I will let you have the last word. I am absolutely still none the wiser as to exactly what you are expecting in the way of an announcement about regarding living here on what is quite clearly amounting to a Tourist visa issue. Never mind. 

Here is the last word.

Read the article from page 2, paragraph 2 "Meanwhile, the Thai government continues ..." to the end of the sentence ending ".... is already in operation"

The writer is clearly referring to visa exempt entries, and nowhere do they mention tourist visas.

And within those sentences they mention an announcement having been made of something coming in to force in August that would affect visa exempt entries.

I assume English is your second language and why you fail to comprehend the article or my criticism of it. I do not believe an announcement has been made about something concerning visa exempt entry coming in to force in August. If it has then the writer should be quoting their source.

Only one of us is "incapable of understanding" and the proof has been provided. It's a shame you're probably incapable of understanding, and I doubt you're the type to admit when you're wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

Just to be accurate, there was no limit on visa exempt entries then, what there was, was a limit on days spent in country - a little bit different.

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No news in the article, just speculating

Second page 'An announcement was made' just because nobody here knows when and by who, it don't mean it wasn't announced. And again, would you expect an announcement for something that isn't even a law change but left in the hands of I/O's at the airport to determine who is and who isn't staying here for to long a periods of time on visa exempts and tourist visas? Not going to happen.

21 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Second page 'An announcement was made' just because nobody here knows when and by who, it don't mean it wasn't announced. And again, would you expect an announcement for something that isn't even a law change but left in the hands of I/O's at the airport to determine who is and who isn't staying here for to long a periods of time on visa exempts and tourist visas? Not going to happen.

A lot of what was in that article was in the news before as a intent or a proposal to do something by the government. Most has not come into effect yet.

None of it is really new. Some of it is also speculation by the writer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A lot of what was in that article was in the news before as a intent or a proposal to do something by the government. Most has not come into effect yet.

None of it is really new. Some of it is also speculation by the writer.

Agreed. I also see it as somebody in immigration may of let slip as a warning what to expect come August.....Maybe. I hear that some of these Editors are pretty well connected to some officials, which you would need to be with some of the stuff they run with.
It could prove to be an interesting year ahead.

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Just to be accurate, there was no limit on visa exempt entries then, what there was, was a limit on days spent in country - a little bit different.

Being pedantic much? There was a limit. The rule was a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days which means a maximum of 90 entries assuming you entered once every day. Or 3 entries if entering back to back.

That all equated to a limit of 180 days (2 x 90 = 180) per year, which is why IO's at various borders still quote 180 days as being the limit, and why the subsequent entry warning flag is set at 6 entries (6 x 30 = 180).

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Being pedantic much? There was a limit. The rule was a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days which means a maximum of 90 entries assuming you entered once every day. Or 3 entries if entering back to back.

That all equated to a limit of 180 days (2 x 90 = 180) per year, which is why IO's at various borders still quote 180 days as being the limit, and why the subsequent entry warning flag is set at 6 entries (6 x 30 = 180).

You do realise you just reinforced what I said. You think pedantic, I think facts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, quadperfect said:

The average thai here in phuket has been devastated by the government  crack downs.

No money. No tourists. Thats all i hear from thai people i know.

But then you read stuff like this saying tourism is booming.

Whatever.

Cant fool me.

This article claims chinese are huge spenders now.

What changed since yesterday.

And why would the Chinese be big spenders here when "luxury" goods are more expensive here than China, HK, Macau, Singapore and Europe ?

• Like 1