Bank account with Elite membership or tourist visa?

Hi All,

Just wondering if if one had any simplistic benefits over the other with regard to opening an account? I just need a simple account, debit card, and to be able to pay directly (and cheaply) into other Thai accounts.

I know every bank and branch has alternating criteria but wondered what the current state of play is? I will be staying in Jomtien.

Cheers? :)

I had an answer typed in the mobile app but lost it because it does not save posts as drafts (not as well as the full browser does).

The TE/PE visa is technically classified as a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.  With that said,  If you have TE/PE membership, you can use the liaison to at least get an account with Bangkok Bank.  Liaison service is 1200 baht per occurrence.  You could also negotiate with that same liaison to help open an account with several other banks (2 minimum IMO).  It is common for several banks to be nearby each other, especially in malls and smaller towns.  You don't really have much to lose, but a lot to gain.  You simply negotiate with the liaison the day before or that day of the trip that you want to make a few extra stops, and thank them for the extra service.

There is a current thread that discusses TE membership benefits here: 

You can ask there and link back to this thread; maybe some guys with the membership can guide you further.

----

Note that if you have a regular tourist visa or non-immigrant visa, you may go ahead and attempt with that also on your own or with a thai friend.

Heck, there are reports of people who have done it on Visa Exempt entries.  Not sure about recently though.

You may also bring a laptop with you (with your own mobile internet) and verify that internet banking was setup correctly.  Do it all at once (account opening, debit card, internet banking), and you'll be set for a while.

Edited by 4evermaat

fyi, i am on TE/PE visa, went to bangkok bank silom main branch just now to open a bank account.  before i show them my visa, the counter asked for work permit, told them i don't have WP, then the counter said i need a letter from embassy, then i showed them my (TE/PE )visa i have, the counter asked for my Thailand Elite card, which I didn't bring with me, the counter told me it is not possible therefore i left.  So to conclude, if you are on PE/TE visa, bring along your Thailand Elite card.  If you are on normal tourist visa, get a letter from your embassy or consulate first, though I didn't ask what kind of letter.

Edited by linguini
repetitive wording