Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

12 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Err, farming is just a little healthier than sitting in a bar.  And apart from the girls and the beer, what is there to like in Pattaya, the latter is available to anyone anywhere, the former to any semi-normal male for free, so what is the attraction for the truly normal male? I can see the attraction for the desperate, but for those of us without the need or desire to use prostitutes, it's just a congested dirty city full of fools.

Err, farming isn't very healthy now. Many farmers around the world kill themselves, bureaucracy is killing farming as a lifestyle and farmers are stressed to the max. Plus, intensive farming is really bad, with loads of chemicals and evil practices like caged hens to produce eggs.

Given the choice, I'll take sitting in a bar over bureaucracy mad farming.

Friendly girls are always a preferred option, unless one is lacking in the requisite hormones. I think the girls are sufficient reason in themselves to like Pattaya. If the authorities have their way, and remove them, or make it so unfriendly that all the mongers move to Angeles, Pattaya will be in for very hard times, as the idea that up market tourists will flock there is :cheesy:.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I tried the "Thai wife" and wish I'd stayed with the bargirls. It'd have been cheaper, and I'd be happier now.

The Thai wife?  You mean your ex-wife, right?  I don't think anyone is capable of the extent of bigotry it would require to project the experience of one woman onto all Thai brides, that would take more that just bigotry, that would take some sort of brain disease.

• Haha 1

There has been some recent action.  Especially on Soi 6 raids within the past week no upstairs access now in many places. Also, off Soi Buakhao a couple of places raided one where the mamasaan was taken away in handcuffs.

A friend told me there are Falang UC working for the Pattaya police.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Another thread were 90% of the commentary comes from people outside of Pattaya. Contrary to the "image" portrayed, people, families, couples live normal lives in Pattaya and surrounds. Whatever life you are living elsewhere in Thailand, 1,000s live the same life in Pattaya. 

I consider myself to be your average expat, I live at Jomtien in a pretty normal condo block, Thais, europeans etc, lots of couples, families, babies. 3-4 school buses come every day to take Thai and Russian kids off the school. The biggest selling item in the condo shop is baby formula and nappies.

I have a Thai partner who isn't a bar girl and never was, as do 90 % of my friends. I lead a pretty normal life, eat out, movies, beach, shopping malls, night markets, drinks and nights out with friends. The same as any other location in Thailand. I dont go to walking st, soi 6 etc as that is a part of Pattaya that I have no reason to relate to.

My partner works in a condo management office and most of her work colleagues have western partners, based on our common circumstances, we all meet up for friday night drinks, husbands wifes girlfriends etc. We end up in a beer bar complex, we get great service from a bunch of bargirls, The GFs are even friends with them. These night kick on sometimes and 8-10 of us will visit several bars, watch music, have a dance etc. No sleaze, no prostitution, just a normal fun social night out.

I have pattaya and surrounds at my doorstep, pristine beaches out on the islands and just down the coast in the army areas, 6-8 shopping malls, cinemas, water parks, car racing, tourist and Thai night markets, a great live music scene, a couple of thousand restaurants, coffee shops and bars. All with little to no contact with red light areas, prostitution, bar girls etc.

90% of the "image" of pattaya is exactly that, an image. Perpetuated by people who dont live here, or even live in Thailand.

" I went there once in 1993, and only went to the red light areas, I know all about it."

The image is perpetuated by the tourists who visit there, the majority visiting specifically for the sex and about 100% of the rest of them at least going to take a look once by walking down walking street, the day trip buses all park at the end of walking street as it is a part of the tour of the area, the image is rightful, the town is founded on sleaze.

43 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

. . . the majority visiting specifically for the sex

Not anymore, except perhaps that TAT: TVF, following TVF Poster Golden Egg Economics, conveniently refuses to count Thai tourists as tourists. I'd say the great Golden Egg Layers, those economic powerhouses staying in flophouses over on Soi Buakhao, are now in the minority.

I'd agree it's pretty visible, however, and a lot of the non-traditional tourists do enjoy the voyeurism, part of which must be the freak show of our mongers, our lads just having a bit o' fun, in full glory.

Quality7.jpg

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

tourists and that's a fact....

Well according to 2016 stats, the Chinese, Russians and Thais made up 75% of visitors to Pattaya.  How many of those are here for the sex trade.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Well according to 2016 stats, the Chinese, Russians and Thais made up 75% of visitors to Pattaya.  How many of those are here for the sex trade.

So guess that leaves 25% or more who do.

This place would probably survive  w/o the sex trade.  Hua Hin does not have much of one and it is doing OK.  Many other places in this country the same.  I for one would leave as I am here mostly for sex with many girls.  If they got rid of it I would move to AC in a heart beat I like that place alot.

No, you can't surmise that the other 25% are sex tourists just that they are probably European.  I agree that removing the sex trade is not going to impact the town as much as people think.  I live in Hua Hin and it's surviving quite well.  Too well, as traffic and prices have increased hugely.

• Like 1

So guess that leaves 25% or more who do.
This place would probably survive  w/o the sex trade.  Hua Hin does not have much of one and it is doing OK.  Many other places in this country the same.  I for one would leave as I am here mostly for sex with many girls.  If they got rid of it I would move to AC in a heart beat I like that place alot.

Atlantic City ?
Not sure there's much going on there !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

23 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Were you there at the bamboo bar when it opened or are you just spewing your mouth.

By oee coincidence I happened to talk to a former American military pilot just yesterday who flew out of U-Tapao, often visited Pattaya, and even lived in sleepy Pattaya briefly during the era with his Thai wife. Naturally, he verified just what the other posters--who were also there--said in the threads I referenced.

As the topic's been thoroughly discussed in those threads, members can read thru them and make up their own minds as to who's parroting nonsense and who isn't. :)

How to Avoid Spreading Myths and Misinformation Online

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

By oee coincidence I happened to talk to a former American military pilot just yesterday who flew out of U-Tapao, often visited Pattaya, and even lived in sleepy Pattaya briefly during the era with his Thai wife. Naturally, he verified just what the other posters--who were also there--said in the threads I referenced.

As the topic's been thoroughly discussed in those threads, members can read thru them and make up their own minds as to who's parroting nonsense and who isn't. :)

Ive met hundreds of GIs that did their R and R there and not one that didn't get laid multiple times by multiple prostitutes while there a short time.

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Um.... kind of.... yes.

whilst admittedly, there was a small fishing village there, it (pattaya) rose to prominence (grubsters "built on" reference) as an R and R spot for US servicemen.... and is now what it is today, because of the spreading of the good word

IMG_3581.PNG

Edited by farcanell

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

You write some good stuff but why write nonsense like this

and discredit yourself?

There are LOADS of pictures of the GIs in Thailand in the 60s

in bars and elsewhere surrounded by LOADS of sexy girls...

And it sure did not look like the GIs were on any kind of

humanitarian mission..lol....

The GIs might not have started prostitution in Pattaya but their

presence was like dropping napalm on a small camp fire...

And that's the fact Jack...or Joe....lol

Edited by fforest1

and discredit yourself?

The GIs might not have started prostitution in Pattaya but their
presence was like dropping napalm on a small camp fire...
And that's the fact Jack...or Joe....lol

So who comes first the visitors or the sex workers?

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2017 at 8:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

I take the bus to Pattaya from Hua Hin and a motorbike taxi from the bus station to Soi Six and check into my hotel. I never leave Soi Six.

I was just wondering, what is the rest of Pattaya like?

Soi 6.

• Haha 1

Actually, to be fair the sordid bit of Pattaya probably occupies no more than about 5% of the total area, maybe less, due to the massive expansion over the years.  When I first came here  in '91 it was more like 50% with very little else to do - no shops worth mentioning, no 5-star hotels, nothing on the Dark Side (except for the track leading to the BB).  Don't see much mention of the fact that is now one of the best destinations in the world for golf as well.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 1:02 AM, Grubster said:

Ive met hundreds of GIs that did their R and R there and not one that didn't get laid multiple times by multiple prostitutes while there a short time.

You misunderstood exactly where that R&R took place. Meanwhile we have a lot of written testimony here contradicting the myth that Americans "built" Pattaya. You'll need to read through the threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657693-thailand-and-the-vietnam-war/#comment-6671957

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/358302-did-america-create-pattaya/

On 2/25/2017 at 1:14 AM, farcanell said:

Um.... kind of.... yes.

whilst admittedly, there was a small fishing village there, it (pattaya) rose to prominence (grubsters "built on" reference) as an R and R spot for US servicemen.... and is now what it is today, because of the spreading of the good word

IMG_3581.PNG

Unverified source and nothing about any bars and girls. "The word spread" unverified as well, sounds like hype to support the myth, and doesn't say spread about "what" exactly. I doubt Pattaya had enough "hotel" space for 500 GI's who suddenly descended anyway.

No, Pattaya didn't become a "hot" alternative to Bangkok THEN and not "quickly."

During the Vietnam War, the R&R haven with all the bars and go-go's was not Pattaya but Bangkok. Pattaya had no bar scene to speak of; servicemen visited mainly from the nearby U-Tapao air base to enjoy a pleasant beach area. The working girls serving U-Tapao were located and regulated, even with mandatory STD checks, at a place called Newland about 10 miles in the opposite direction from Pattaya. That was to keep the servicemen out of the nearby towns where they'd make a nuisance of themselves and get in trouble. There's a youtube vid on the subject by a lady who worked on the base.

Now Pattaya did come to the attention of Australian personnel then. It was only in the later 70s and the 80s, after the Americans had left, that the raucous nightlife scene arose for the entertainment of mainly Australians, Germans, and Brits.

On 2/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, farcanell said:

Small fishing village

US servicemen on R and R

Bar scene after US servicemen left, Germans, Ozzies, Brits, then

girls booze drugs and ...... :partytime2:

On 2/25/2017 at 5:23 AM, fforest1 said:

and discredit yourself?

No, you've merely discredited yourself further, which isn't easy. Pattaya <> "Thailand"

• Like 1

Just now, JSixpack said:

You misunderstood exactly where that R&R took place. Meanwhile we have a lot of written testimony here contradicting the myth that Americans "built" Pattaya. You'll need to read through the threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657693-thailand-and-the-vietnam-war/#comment-6671957

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/358302-did-america-create-pattaya/

Unverified source and nothing about any bars and girls. "The word spread" unverified as well, sounds like hype to support the myth, and doesn't say spread about "what" exactly. I doubt Pattaya had enough "hotel" space for 500 GI's who suddenly descended anyway.

No, Pattaya didn't become a "hot" alternative to Bangkok THEN and not "quickly."

During the Vietnam War, the R&R haven with all the bars and go-go's was not Pattaya but Bangkok. Pattaya had no bar scene to speak of; servicemen visited mainly from the nearby U-Tapao air base to enjoy a pleasant beach area. The working girls serving U-Tapao were located and regulated, even with mandatory STD checks, at a place called Newland about 10 miles in the opposite direction from Pattaya. That was to keep the servicemen out of the nearby towns where they'd make a nuisance of themselves and get in trouble. There's a youtube vid on the subject by a lady who worked on the base.

Now Pattaya did come to the attention of Australian personnel then. It was only in the later 70s and the 80s, after the Americans had left, that the raucous nightlife scene arose for the entertainment of mainly Australians, Germans, and Brits.

Bar scene after US servicemen left, Germans, Ozzies, Brits, then

No, you've merely discredited yourself further, which isn't easy. Pattaya <> "Thailand"

Was Ban Chang around with a girl scene back then?

Curious because I heard Tiger Woods father( former US military) met his Thai wife there.  Or maybe she was a cashier someplace:)

25 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Was Ban Chang around with a girl scene back then?

Curious because I heard Tiger Woods father( former US military) met his Thai wife there.  Or maybe she was a cashier someplace:)

Doubt there was a "scene," though fevered imaginations here may well conjure one. It was certainly possible to meet "a" girl anywhere. Why not? Friend of mine met an ordinary waitress in an resto near Sattahip and after the war he came back and married that sweet young thang. Still married today after decades and will be to the end.

They've both changed a lot since then. :wink:

Edited by JSixpack