Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some jurisdictions in western countries decree that toilet doors open outwards.   The reasoning is that if a person collapses whilst on the throne, and falls forward, access is far more difficult trying to open the door against a body in the restricted space than if the door opened outwards.

My wife insisted that bedroom doors swing in against the side wall at 90deg to the frame. This exposes the entire room the instant the door starts to open so if you have guests and your friend's wife happens to be naked all is revealed. She couldn't see the point and since all the doors bar one are that way all I need now are friend's staying who have beautiful wives or girlfriends. (Kidding darling - honest! Ouch, I hope the swelling goes down soon!)

In the UK the custom is always inward opening doors hung to hide the room giving a chance at privacy should the occupant not be ready to receive visitors. Toilet doors open in as do bathroom doors because the common parts circulation space in dwellings is generally too small to accommodate an outward opening door. eg the upstairs hallway may only be a metre wide.

Also in the UK the custom for French doors is that they alone open out thus not cluttering lounge or dining room and in any event they are seldom full size door widths.

I would like to know why the biggest, most expensive private hospital in Phuket, who has just spent a reported 50 million baht on upgrading their palace-like entrance area and

magnificently tiled lobby, has just one woefully inadequate toilet for the disabled!

The toilet is so small it is impossible to maneuver a wheelchair inside. (The door has to open outwards else it would be impossible to use at all!)  To get to the toilet one has to stand up while leaning against the sink and awkwardly squeeze past the foot rests and shuffle alongside the chair to get to the privy. This throne is Thai children's size, so low to the floor that many disabled would find it almost impossible to get up again. There is no room for your legs because your chair is right there. Returning to your chair is just as difficult as leaving it.

The flusher handle and bum gun are cleverly situated behind the users back and the raised toilet seat cover, very difficult to access. And the toilet paper!!

I strongly suspect the reason is most toilets in houses also incorporates the shower hence it becomes a wet room. Beacuse of that there is a barrier between the wet room and the adjacent room in the form of o raised lip from the floor so no water can escape. So it would be impossible to have an outward opening door. In this configuration.

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

In the UK the custom is always inward opening doors hung to hide the room giving a chance at privacy should the occupant not be ready to receive visitors. .

It may have been a custom but I think it is more dependant on the room size and where the door is in relation to various walls especially when there may be only one logical position for a bed. In my house it is certainly not true.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the USA many bathroom doors open inwards.  I would say more do than don't.  It leaves for a clean line in the hallway.

In any film/TV series where they are checking to see if the stalls are empty in a public washroom I have never seen them to try to pull the door open......:smile:

Edited by topt
typo

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since we are on the subject of toilets, the hotel we use in Bangalore (India) has very cleverly designed bathrooms. It is possible to sit on the pan and throw-up in the sink at the same time, don't ask me how I know :sick:

Oh, and the doors open inwards :)

I once threw up and shit myself at the same time.

Trouble is I had my head down the bog at the time.:sorry:

16 minutes ago, grollies said:

I once threw up and shit myself at the same time.

Trouble is I had my head down the bog at the time.:sorry:

I can beat that hands  down........on my Birthday on the Airbus A380 eating Birthday cake, became violently ill, puked and shat myself in their toilet....it went everywhere, i had to tell the hostess " might be an idea to close that toilet".........it really wasnt pretty:sick:

Just now, kannot said:

More to the point why do they put the bin behind the door  so you can only  open the bloody  thing half way??

Ah, you've been to OTP too :)

The stalls in the BTS Admin Building mean you have to enter, straddle the pan, then close the door behind you before rotating into the relevant position and locking the door (and there's no bum-gun).

52 minutes ago, topt said:

It may have been a custom but I think it is more dependant on the room size and where the door is in relation to various walls especially when there may be only one logical position for a bed. In my house it is certainly not true.

it was an  old custom from  the  Victorian era, it gives way more room in small houses if they open in and onto the wall at 90 degrees as  opposed to into the room taking up valuable usable space at 180 degrees

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since we are on the subject of toilets, the hotel we use in Bangalore (India) has very cleverly designed bathrooms. It is possible to sit on the pan and throw-up in the sink at the same time, don't ask me how I know :sick:

Oh, and the doors open inwards :)

"... the hotel we use in Bangalore (India) has very cleverly designed bathrooms. It is possible to sit on the pan and throw-up in the sink at the same time, don't ask me how I know '

Agree, and like many farang and other visitors to India I've had the dual experience several times. Seems to be compulsory in India

4 hours ago, hobz said:

It's the same issue with bedroom doors, for some reason they are always opened inwards in thailand. Nobody seems to know why... I heard something about bad luck from my gf, but she doesn't know the details..

"I heard something about bad luck from my gf"

Was it, 1000 years of bad luck to you if you don't stop talking drivel about bathroom doors to me?

Edited by Shawn0000

2 hours ago, transam said:

You reckon...A bog is a bog, who gives a toss how the door hangs when you need the bog...?................sad-face.gif

I was in a club in Jamaica about 30 years ago. Going for a number 2 the cubicles had 'stable doors'. All the lower half doors were missing and I had to use and loose my skiddies as no loo roll.