Seeking Advice for hiring a car for the first time.

Thongkorn

I have Never hired a car before in Thailand, so would like some information if possible , What are the Good things and bad things to look out for, 

I Would like to hire a car for about four weeks,  from a good company if possible from the Bangkok area, Sahmut Prakan side of Bangkok,

would any one know the approximate cost for the car and Insurance, and do they charge for mileage used or just a straight rental for the vehicle,

We have very good experience with AVIS Thailand. Friends of us often use THAI RENT A CAR and also are satisfied.

These companies are not cheap. But you get a good serviced car with insurance.

Local car rentals often have no (sufficient) insurance and the car was newer serviced by a dealer.

2 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Thanks for your input , Done that, Obviously

op if you had checked the big boys , you should have all the answers to all your question, why start a thread if you know the answers.

my advice on reading your op would have been the same as crossy's

Edited by steve187

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

OK, next time I won't bother.

You would be amazed how many don't do "the obvious".

I think some things got lost in translation , No insult was meant to any one,  but thanks again for the advice. I just wanted some tips of what to do and what not, as this being my first time renting a car.

Edited by Thongkorn

Rented many times just never in Thailand. Check about insurance. That would be my main worry when renting in Thailand and is it full coverage or you have some excess you need to pay if there is damage since small damage done by you or others is very likely specially if driving/parking in Bangkok for the first time. Do you need an international drivers licence and do you have one? Not sure about insurance coverage if you only have the normal (non international) one issued from your country.

Other then that you need to have a credit card that can handle the 4 week rental charge and probably an extra 20-50k depending on car that the company will ask authorization for and block that amount until you return the car.

Edited by Jackie66

Thai relatives living in Chonburi tell me that they have never heard of a Farang (or Thai come to that) hiring a car that didn't afterwards get shafted for invisible/pre-existing damage to the paintwork. So a careful examination plus use of a camera might be a good idea.

Up here in the provinces I had no problems with this kind of thing, including the time I got back home and found a bit of the car laying on the ground where it had been parked.

I have hired from Thai rental, Hertz and locally many times. Thai rental are very good as pick up and drop off points are basically up to you hotel airport etc. They take pics of any damage on collection of car and never had a problem on returning the vehicles. International driving license required.

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I've rented many cars in Thailand.

In fact I don't own one, because in Bangkok taxis are cheaper, and rentals are easy when needed.

Don't forget that unless you are from an Asean country you need an international driving permit as well as your licence. Don't believe these people that say you may get away without one. It doesn't happen.

Ive used several different companies, but my favourite is Sixtthailand.

However although they've always been the cheapest for a medium size car (Toyota Altis - previous model), their prices have increased to match their competitors recently.

Renting through a subcontractor such as holidayautos usually gets the price down a bit.

I often use Skyscanner for flights and car hire prices.

Generally prices include basic insurance and unlimited mileage.

I don't usually pay the extra for the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). Two reasons: Usually the excess for a bad accident is only 8,000 baht maximum, and I have an annual CDW for rental cars because it's so much cheaper.

Automatic cars is the norm here, which I prefer to manual

Be careful of renting the cheapest car because it's usually the smallest. Not comfortable for big Farang men.

I can't believe Toyota Vios have a passenger handle above the door on the drivers side - I've banged my head on it so many times.....

Apart from that, driving in Thailand: Be aware of dogs and motorbikes. Don't swerve because there's bound to be a bike close to you in town. 'Stop' signs here in Thailand mean 'slow down a little', and don't expect cars or bikes to necessarily give way to you simply because you think you have priority. Driving at night: lights are optional on many motorbikes (front & back), and also cars and ten wheeler trucks. Drive defensively.

Use Car del Mar as they give you the price across many rental companies in Bangkok and by using their promotional code (available off the website) they can often get you a better price than going direct.

Take photos of all 4 sides.

Make sure the drop-off point is convenient to you.

Drive on the left!

Renting a car in Thailand is pretty much like renting one anywhere else these days. I have used Thai Rent A Car, Avis and Budget over the years in Bangkok, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai and Samui and never had any issues. One thing I would do is be very thorough on the pre-delivery damage inspection and make sure everything is marked up and don't just accept what the attendant had already marked on the sign-out damage sheet. There's no harm in taking pictures of any damage either but this may not be practical if collecting the car at night. If you go with a local rental agent take pictures for sure as they tend to nickel and dime on any tiny scuff, ding or paint chip.

I've rented many cars in Thailand.
In fact I don't own one, because in Bangkok taxis are cheaper, and rentals are easy when needed.
Don't forget that unless you are from an Asean country you need an international driving permit as well as your licence. Don't believe these people that say you may get away without one. It doesn't happen.

Ive used several different companies, but my favourite is Sixtthailand.
However although they've always been the cheapest for a medium size car (Toyota Altis - previous model), their prices have increased to match their competitors recently.
Renting through a subcontractor such as holidayautos usually gets the price down a bit.
I often use Skyscanner for flights and car hire prices.

Generally prices include basic insurance and unlimited mileage.
I don't usually pay the extra for the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). Two reasons: Usually the excess for a bad accident is only 8,000 baht maximum, and I have an annual CDW for rental cars because it's so much cheaper.

Automatic cars is the norm here, which I prefer to manual

Be careful of renting the cheapest car because it's usually the smallest. Not comfortable for big Farang men.
I can't believe Toyota Vios have a passenger handle above the door on the drivers side - I've banged my head on it so many times.....

Apart from that, driving in Thailand: Be aware of dogs and motorbikes. Don't swerve because there's bound to be a bike close to you in town. 'Stop' signs here in Thailand mean 'slow down a little', and don't expect cars or bikes to necessarily give way to you simply because you think you have priority. Driving at night: lights are optional on many motorbikes (front & back), and also cars and ten wheeler trucks. Drive defensively.

You 'may get away without one's is if the mark, since legally an IDP is not required. But an IDP can be very helpful at police checks.

sent using Tapatalk

Petchaburi car rent are cool. Started out small but now a major player.

When my wife passed her test, I called & told them I needed a rental for a few months and that she'd definitely 'ding' it. They sorted us out. She crashed it 3 times & we paid 3000 Baht deposit each time.

They were totally cool about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, xtof2 said:

I always rent with Sixt. They have the old (but still very good) VIOS for 999 bahts a day. I always add the CDW for an extra 200 bahts.

Good to know. I use them when I go back to the UK as I find they have an edge on the other on-airport competition.