Looking for poorest Thai village!

jpduggan

I spend half of the year in Thailand and half back in Ireland and last time home I started collecting old clothes from friends and family. I accumulated almost 300kilos of clothing that I had shipped out here and i want to visit a needy village to give them out to. I live in Pattaya when I'm here and my girlfriend works in a pharmacy with 2 girls who say that their village North of Chiang Rai is terribly poor and deserving of the donation. Seemed like a perfect spot but these two are too lazy to contact either the head man or a teacher in the school to be ready for our visit. That trip would take nearly 14 hours each way and as those two aren't bothered I've decided to look for an alternative location. I read that there are very poor slum areas around Bangkok and I guess even the migrant labourer camps around Pattaya would also prove worthy but I had it in my head to go to a village. I'm looking for nominations if any expats are living in or married into a poor village.Thanks.

19 minutes ago, berybert said:

Take a walk along Pattaya beach road, you will find plenty of needy folk there.

19 minutes ago, berybert said:

Take a walk along Pattaya beach road, you will find plenty of needy folk there.

Not Exactly a ''Thai village''

Edited by jpduggan

Get up to Mai hong son, go south on the 108 5 kilometers.

Turn left out towards the mountains, follow the road it then becomes a track.

18 ks you come to Hua hee village, no electric, running water bamboo huts for homes, no motorbikes nothing.

Carry on the track for another 11 ks Nong kao klang village, same conditions.

You can keep going all the way to Chiang mai (94 ks) every village the same conditions.

You want to help poor people these people are poor very poor.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

18 ks you come to Hua hee village, no electric, running water bamboo huts for homes, no motorbikes nothing.

You can keep going all the way to Chiang mai (94 ks) every village the same conditions.

Sounds exactly the type of place I have in mind. Have you been there ?

I brought a case of  kids clothes back and gave to an orphanage in Patts. They had been given to me by friends back in Oz. Next tme i went baqck to oz, this time , had no more free clothes so i went to the salvo op shop and paid $1 per item to make up a case full. Brought them back, was advised by the orphanage that the kids had enough clothes so the were sold off , by the kids at an open day for 10 Baht each. Not  complaining abut the orphanage just telling what happened.

1 hour ago, jpduggan said:

Sounds exactly the type of place I have in mind. Have you been there ?

Yes i lived there in Nong kao klang for 18 months.

If i can be of any help please ask, only problem now is i am paraplegic.

If you need a contact at Nong kao ask.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

You know Colin.  I rode that same track 32 years ago.  Why are those poor souls still living in the same conditions? 

1 hour ago, sandgroper2 said:

I brought a case of  kids clothes back and gave to an orphanage in Patts. They had been given to me by friends back in Oz. Next tme i went baqck to oz, this time , had no more free clothes so i went to the salvo op shop and paid $1 per item to make up a case full. Brought them back, was advised by the orphanage that the kids had enough clothes so the were sold off , by the kids at an open day for 10 Baht each. Not  complaining abut the orphanage just telling what happened.

That's an eye opener!

15 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I tell you what, that's great fairplay. Maybe one way to donate is to go to any village and go to playground where boys play football. The ones with no shoes. 

Not much foot ware in the consignment just kid's clothes mostly!

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

I sent you an e-mail Colin!

40 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

I don't have any use for missionaries, mostly a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.  But Father Joe in Klong Toey seems to be fairly legit.  You might ask him for advice as to where a donation might do the most good.

http://www.mercycentre.org/

Wow that's a great bit of advice.Tried the number but no answer but I'll try again in the morning. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Well OXO I'm 61 years old and have had a really great life. I've never wanted for anything not because I was rich but because I wasn't greedy and was happy with what I had. I've never had any interest in material things so I hope you are the one burdened with that choice. I really couldn't give a shit about Ferraris no matter what colour,