Russian arrested, may face prison term for feeding fish

webfact

33 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Any fine handed out to a tourist  the tour guide/groups should be hammered with a fine ten times greater. We all know they are breaking the rules but there's no comeback- THEY are the ones who know the regulations, not tourists.

Was the tour group (you mean tour organiser?) feeding the fish in a forbidden area?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I thought it was Buddhist good Karma to be kind and feed hungry animals?

Meanwhile fishing boats are out netting huge numbers of fish to sell to the restaurants.. but that is OK?

Seriously, when I went there.. each time the tour guides handed out bread for people to feed the fish.  This is what must have happened this time... so the tour guide needs to be prosecuted not the tourist.. who seems to have been tricked into this money making scam.... because what tourist is going to carry around a slice of bread all day just to feed some fish is they happen to see any?

Not very likely that the Russian was a Buddhist and fishing boats are not netting huge numbers of fish from coral reefs.

1 minute ago, gdgbb said:

Not very likely that the Russian was a Buddhist and fishing boats are not netting huge numbers of fish from coral reefs.

So what if they were not Buddhist?  This is a Buddhist country...

And the fishing industry is one of the key problems for Thailand's reef destruction.

http://www.reefresilience.org/coral-reefs/stressors/local-stressors/overfishing-and-destructive-fishing-threats/

While everyone here is condemning Thailand for having laws that protect coral reefs and the surrounding areas and mocking the country for imposing huge fines and/or imprisonment on offenders, no one seems to have noticed that the punishments they are screaming about so indignantly are maximums and no one has even been found guilty yet so this woman hasn't been fined or jailed.  Why not wait and see what actually happens and then express your indignance?  My money says she will get a small fine, if not just a warning.

22 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Playing Bridge is fine, gambling isn't.

Feeding fish is fine in places where feeding fish is allowed.

Talking about incompetence is fine.

Drinking all afternoon is fine.

Taking the piss is ok, too.

especially after drinking beer all afternoon

Was in Egyptian resort called 'Sharks Bay' off the Red Sea few years ago, marine reserve with signs everywhere in English, German, Russian and Arabic...don't feed the fish! As it makes them dependent on the food and causes a buildup of nitrogen where the waste collects.

Russian's total ignored it even when the Egyptian Dive Instructors got into it with them, just kept giving their brats bread roles to feed the fish.

They also wouldn't control their brats over the warning signs about No Diving as where divers entered and exit the water......at least till one of them split their head open on my airtank as I was exiting. With all the blood it was lucky the sharks didn't get him.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

It would be nice to know that the RTP and the courts have better things to so with their time. Sadly, we know they don't.

"would be nice to know that the RTP and the courts have better things to do .."

O they do - for sure,

Sad that they seem not even to be aware of it

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

So what if they were not Buddhist?  This is a Buddhist country...

And the fishing industry is one of the key problems for Thailand's reef destruction.

You said it was Buddhist good karma, how would that (superstition) apply to a non-Buddhist, who wasn't doing it for good karma, that's what.

Do you have evidence that the reef in question is suffering from huge amounts of fish being taken to be sold to local restaurants?

8 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

While everyone here is condemning Thailand for having laws that protect coral reefs and the surrounding areas and mocking the country for imposing huge fines and/or imprisonment on offenders, no one seems to have noticed that the punishments they are screaming about so indignantly are maximums and no one has even been found guilty yet so this woman hasn't been fined or jailed.  Why not wait and see what actually happens and then express your indignance?  My money says she will get a small fine, if not just a warning.

" She has to pay the bail and remain in Thailand until her case is processed by a court,”  

So you think this appropriate?

if there are laws they must be made known to the people, tourists in particular

Are you aware of any warning signs or equal?

"imposing huge fines and/or imprisonment on offenders, (offence= feeding fish)"

what about comparing the possibility of imprisonment for feeding fish with people who kill and go free or threat a family with a letal weapon or .. (many example)  -if you don't know what I mean read this thread from the beginning

16 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

" She has to pay the bail and remain in Thailand until her case is processed by a court,”  

what about comparing the possibility of imprisonment for feeding fish with people who kill and go free or threat a family with a letal weapon or .. (many example)  -if you don't know what I mean read this thread from the beginning

laws are publicised to the public, Royal Gazette,

available on internet, available in well equipped bookshops

its the piblic's duty to know the laws

6 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

laws are publicised to the public, Royal Gazette,

available on internet, available in well equipped bookshops

its the piblic's duty to know the laws

never heard something farther from reality and common sense

So when you travel as a tourist you read all the law texts of that country before you enter the aircraft ?

A coutry that wants to earn money from tourists has to make it easy for them - so signposts e.g. would be appropriate

expecting the tourists to read juristic stuff is not

Edited by sweatalot

Big warning signs in Thai, English, Russian and Chinese at that beach.

sent using Tapatalk

So why did the boat skipper not tell her? He had to have been aware of the laws if he operated out over the reefs. She probably visited a temple before and the monks asked her to make merit by buying bread and feeding the fish in the river or canal as so many temples do so of course she'd think it was ok.

Once the word gets around about how little or otherwise unknown laws can trap tourists engaged in a normal innocent pursuits folk won't want to come here, they'll be afraid of getting thrown in prison for something.

A bit like the old USSR or today's DPRK. It is really frightening the things that can can happen here!

29 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

never heard something farther from reality and common sense

So when you travel as a tourist you read all the law texts of that country before you enter the aircraft ?

A coutry that wants to earn money from tourists has to make it easy for them - so signposts e.g. would be appropriate

expecting the tourists to read juristic stuff is not

far from common sense maybe,

far from reality - NO!

It is pretty universal that that the onus of knowing the law is with the ordinary citizen.

That goes for Banana republics as well as republics and monarchies without bananas

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Any fine handed out to a tourist  the tour guide/groups should be hammered with a fine ten times greater. We all know they are breaking the rules but there's no comeback- THEY are the ones who know the regulations, not tourists.

So now they have warningsigns in EVERY language to not feed the fish? Russians can't speak english.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You may have reached that conclusion, but you'd be dead wrong.

sent using Tapatalk

What's with the one liners? Is it too hard to add "because..." to your statements? Just add some justification to your remarks. You have already had a go at me.  I would genuinely like to know why I don't know what I am talking about and why Oziex is "dead wrong."  I am listening. 

Furthermore, nothing in my originaI post discounted the ecological value of coral reefs and the services/resources they provide to people and the planet. I just found the details of the story "fishy." It smelled like a shakedown.

In any case, if you feel I am talking out of me arse then say so. I may agree or disagree. That is the point of a forum. There is nothing wrong with the free sharing of ideas and opinions within forum rules. But taking vague potshots at other members isn't proper form in a forum where ideas/knowledge are to be shared. If you are privy to some information that I am not, go ahead and educate me.

If you had said, "docshock13 you don't know what you're talking about because..." or "oziex you're "dead wrong" because..." then we can have a meaningful conversation and learn something from each other. 

I am sure there was a sign on the sea bed saying "Do Not Feed The Fish"

In Thai????and no signs at all.on the surface ????Unless there was a Flag indicating a protected area..no fishing no fish feeding no F****** etc etc.....this is a F Bulls

16 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

How about fine the Tour operator who allowed it?

Cannot do - tour operator is Thai. Only bad farang is to be fined and perhaps jailed?

People get killed on roads and NEVER get arrested! Selective justice continues unabated.

Big warning signs in Thai, English, Russian and Chinese at that beach.

sent using Tapatalk

How does the egg pressure test you do on your dives get way with it?
That's technically feeding the fish.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk