Recommendations for Android TV Box?

markcm19

I just bought an M8S+ but it is crashing nonstop straight out of the box; and I realize the internal wifi may not be best if I want to use wifi. Most of the models I see are older androids (5.1 lollipop), Hi Media Q10 Pro, H8 Plus, Xiaomi box recommended, I do not have a 4k TV but would like to be able to make the most of my 100 MBPS setup and stream some tv and sports. Recommendations are greatly appreciated! (Under 5.5k please)

You were advised in this topic that you would be best off returning your M8S+ to Lazada for a full no questions asked refund.

If you don't wish to opt for the refund, you could try for an exchange on a better product such as this - also recommended by other forum members here.

One big plus for this particular box is that apart from having enough memory for adequate streaming, it also has WiFi aerials so should work with your wifi better... not as well as hard-wired of course, but better then a box with an internal aerial. It also comes with an air-mouse.

I've got an M8S+ box and its been fine running Kodi etc for as long as I've had it (almost a year I think). If I was gonna replace it, I would get one of these, http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-box-2017-t95z-plus-amlogic-s912-cpu-8-coreram-2-gb-rom-16-gb-air-mouse-t2-black-8955805.html

Seems to be the best bang for the buck as the saying goes.

Google t95z plus for reviews.

4 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

You were advised in this topic that you would be best off returning your M8S+ to Lazada for a full no questions asked refund.

If you don't wish to opt for the refund, you could try for an exchange on a better product such as this - also recommended by other forum members here.

One big plus for this particular box is that apart from having enough memory for adequate streaming, it also has WiFi aerials so should work with your wifi better... not as well as hard-wired of course, but better then a box with an internal aerial. It also comes with an air-mouse.

I am in the process of returning it for a refund and I appreciate those recommendations, that was definitely one of the better looking boxes. My concern with that is the 5.1 android version which is a bit old and apparently cannot support the latest kodi nor be upgraded, but I was hoping to see if anyone had opinions on that. Thank you for the advice as well

Just now, markcm19 said:

Thank you for the advice as well

You're welcome.

I think you'll find that most users are not upgrading to Android 6 and Kodi 17 yet... still bugs to be ironed out.

I'm sure that there are more knowledgeable forum members that can elaborate on that further.

4 minutes ago, Pomthai said:

I've got an M8S+ box and its been fine running Kodi etc for as long as I've had it (almost a year I think). If I was gonna replace it, I would get one of these, http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-box-2017-t95z-plus-amlogic-s912-cpu-8-coreram-2-gb-rom-16-gb-air-mouse-t2-black-8955805.html

Seems to be the best bang for the buck as the saying goes.

Google t95z plus for reviews.

this does look very good for the price but it has the internal wifi which looks like it may be an issue for me, I would have to run a very long cable around the building which I would like to avoid if possible

1 minute ago, markcm19 said:

this does look very good for the price but it has the internal wifi which looks like it may be an issue for me, I would have to run a very long cable around the building which I would like to avoid if possible

You don't have to run new ethernet cable.

Use the electrical cables in your building.

I solved that problem by running a LAN cable from my PON router to a TP-Link AV500 Powerline Edition 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender which plugs directly into the power socket in my computer room.

The AV500 Adapter plugs into the power sockets behind the TV's in my living room and master bedroom which have LAN cables connecting them to Android boxes connected to my TV's.

Final result: a "hard-wired" internet connection at fiber speed to my TV's and an extended WiFi range thanks to the TP-Link Extender and Adapters.

4 Tips and tricks

• Avoid using wireless. A lot of Android boxes and "sticks" have weak wifi, even those that advertise as being wireless-n. It may be possible to use a USB-to-ethernet dongle on some devices, or even a USB wifi adapter that has a better wifi radio than what is built-in.

Read the full article here.

And to add to what @Jai Dee posted about WiFi,  

Note, IF you are using a USB wireless mouse/keyboard you may encounter WiFi/Spread-Spectrum Device cross interference (seen as severe speed and buffering issues) as many USB wireless dongles share the same frequency spectrum as 2.4GHz WiFi.

I was wondering why my new H96 Pro android set-top-box was only getting 1.5 ~ 3 mpbs on speed tests, then noticed it got better and worse when I moved the mouse during the test. Initially thought is was a firmware issue but then remembered I'd reset my WiFi Access Point to use WiFi Channel 11.  Not wanting to research a firmware issue I instead tested for a WiFi/Spread-Spectrum frequency conflict by changing the WiFi Access Point to from CH 11 to CH 2 (20/40 width) and the H96 Pro immediately went to 30mbps.  Stupid mouse!

I am in the process of returning it for a refund and I appreciate those recommendations, that was definitely one of the better looking boxes. My concern with that is the 5.1 android version which is a bit old and apparently cannot support the latest kodi nor be upgraded, but I was hoping to see if anyone had opinions on that. Thank you for the advice as well

Kodi 17 runs on 5.x and above.

1 minute ago, RichCor said:

And to add to what @Jai Dee posted about WiFi,  

Note, IF you are using a USB wireless mouse/keyboard you may encounter WiFi/Spread-Spectrum Device cross interference (seen as severe speed and buffering issues) as many USB wireless dongles share the same frequency spectrum as 2.4GHz WiFi.

Funny you should mention that.

I bought one of those air mouses at a shop in Tukom... you know the ones with the keyboard on the reverse side.

I really liked it as it had a positive feel to every click, not like the spongy feel that the generic remote that came with the box had.

The shop I bought it from also sells Android IPTV boxes, so had quite a number on the shelf for sale.

When I took it home and plugged in the USB dongle, all sound was cut off from my box... really strange as all output from the box went via HDMI to my surround sound receiver, then video to the TV and sound to my speakers.

Pull out the dongle and the sound started again.

I wonder if it had something to do with that 2.4GHz frequency?

In the end I took it back to the shop for a full refund... funny thing is... they replicated the fault in the shop not only with the air mouse I'd been sold, but with 3 others off the shelf!

Are you committed to Android?

If not, why not consider a minix Z64W?

Needs a keyboard / air mouse of some sort. I'd recommend the minix A2 lite.

Should be able to get one for about 5K plus the mouse.

I've got one and kodi 17 runs perfectly on it.

Might be something to consider.

Interesting comment in that review... "it seems that you have to type all the time..."

That's why a keyboard or air mouse is an absolute must for a Windows-based media player.

8 minutes ago, Encid said:

When I took it home and plugged in the USB dongle, all sound was cut off from my box... really strange as all output from the box went via HDMI to my surround sound receiver, then video to the TV and sound to my speakers.

Pull out the dongle and the sound started again.  I wonder if it had something to do with that 2.4GHz frequency?

In the end I took it back to the shop for a full refund... funny thing is... they replicated the fault in the shop not only with the air mouse I'd been sold, but with 3 others off the shelf!

Now that is odd!  

I'd be surprised if the set top box had system drivers that allowed USB sound adapter redirection.  Why it would do that with an air mouse... very strange indeed.

Have you ever thought of being a professional product tester?  From your posts it seems you may have a natural ability  :-)

Just now, RichCor said:

Have you ever thought of being a professional product tester?  From your posts it seems you may have a natural ability  :-)

I don't know if I'd be able to get a work permit for that!

I ended up buying a minix air mouse which works perfectly.

I bought a H96 Pro + Android Box from Lazada, 3 months ago, which works fine, Android 6, 3Gb ROM, 32Gb internal storage. WiFi works OK though I have it plugged directly into a TP Link AV1200 powerline adaptor. The box with free Air Mouse will cost you about Bht3,500 from Lazada.

22 hours ago, markcm19 said:

The Android 5.1 is just fine and supports Kodi 17, it is the Android 6.0 and 7 that have issues with Kodi and the processors.

2 hours ago, Allstars said:

The Android 5.1 is just fine and supports Kodi 17, it is the Android 6.0 and 7 that have issues with Kodi and the processors.

I'm running Kodi 17 on an Android 6 box, I've had no problems whatsoever.

30 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I'm running Kodi 17 on an Android 6 box, I've had no problems whatsoever.

Can be, but do a a search on the Kodi related forums like XDA and Freaktab and you will know what I mean.

The issue is with Andoid 6 devices that have Amlogic S912 processors, and even some S905X processors

We've been through this already, the issues are with people updating the firmware and then having problems. The box works fine, if you don't go all supergeek on it and fiddle with things you probably shouldn't. I have an Android 6 device with the S912 processor and I've not had any problems, as far as I understand it YOU DON'T, and are just reporting second hand information.

28 minutes ago, Stocky said:

We've been through this already, the issues are with people updating the firmware and then having problems. The box works fine, if you don't go all supergeek on it and fiddle with things you probably shouldn't. I have an Android 6 device with the S912 processor and I've not had any problems, as far as I understand it YOU DON'T, and are just reporting second hand information.

As I understand you have no idea about Android boxes or what you're talking about, I am a Android box seller and make my own Kodi builds as well as support my customers, so odds are that I have owned S912 boxes even before you knew of their existence and am reporting FIRST HAND info.

Do you have any idea why umpteen firmware updates already were issued for these quite recent released boxes?

Hint : If it isn't broken it doesn't need a fix.

S912 boxes are heavily discounted in the market at the moment, cheaper than S905 boxes which are older and have only Android 5.1 installed, but I refuse to sell them to my customers. I let you figure out why that will be.

As I can see that you have the H96 Pro box, take a look here how many people have issues with the STOCK firmware.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=H96+pro+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=hfarWIaeB8LYvATvy5qoBg

You can also fill in any other model or brand of S912 box in the google search bar to get similar results.

As I understand you have no idea about Android boxes or what you're talking about, I am a Android box seller and make my own Kodi builds as well as support my customers, so odds are that I have owned S912 boxes even before you knew of their existence and am reporting FIRST HAND info.

Do you have any idea why umpteen firmware updates already were issued for these quite recent released boxes?

Hint : If it isn't broken it doesn't need a fix.

S912 boxes are heavily discounted in the market at the moment, cheaper than S905 boxes which are older and have only Android 5.1 installed, but I refuse to sell them to my customers. I let you figure out why that will be.

As I can see that you have the H96 Pro box, take a look here how many people have issues with the STOCK firmware.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=H96+pro+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=hfarWIaeB8LYvATvy5qoBg

You can also fill in any other model or brand of S912 box in the google search bar to get similar results.

When you have highly respected and reputable manufacturers such as Minix bypassing the S912 processor, then it's probably a good idea to take note.

My Neo X8 lasted years without a single problem. Only reason I sold it was because it couldn't support anything above Android 4.4.

Currently have a Neo Z64W which also is 100% problem free.

I think I'll pass and wait for the next iteration of processor.

The Minix U1 i mentioned runs Kodi 17 perfectly - uninstall the pre loaded v16, then install kodi 17 from google play.

I used a powerline ethernet for my previous x8-h, but have disconnected it - the wifi with the U1 and my Asus ac88u is much faster ( especially as i use the 5ghz band just for the android box).

My Zidoo x9s arrived yesterday, as I mentioned in another topic on here that the ethernet cable wouldn't secure to the box, also ExpatPremium and 365Sport were not compatable on it. Sent it back today to Lazada, what would be a good replacement? I don't do gaming.

Archived