Dual citizenship and conscription

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes, they can. My children always enter using their British passports, and if required apply for 1 year extensions. This is granted with proof of Thai nationality (Thai birth certificate). The extension of stay permit in the passport has the notation "Khun Thai (คนไทย)"

For reference, this extension is under clause 2.23 of the Police Order 327-2557 and the Immigration order Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557

Elviajero, does immigration charge the usual THB 1,900 for this one-year extension for your children?

We would have to make the Thai birth certificate to apply for the passport anyway so may as well do the both.

According to the  consulates website (London) we must all be there in person for the application appointment so we'll put this off until our next trip to the UK in May/June next year and renew his tourist visas in the meantime.

As said above he'll dodge the draft as long as he's not in the blue book.

All good stuff, cheers guys.

19 hours ago, Maestro said:

For reference, this extension is under clause 2.23 of the Police Order 327-2557 and the Immigration order Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557

Elviajero, does immigration charge the usual THB 1,900 for this one-year extension for your children?

Yes they do. I usually don't bother with extensions if they are traveling back out with me (both well under 15), but my wife is worried about 'confrontations' at the airport so prefers to keep them 'legal' when I'm not there.

38 minutes ago, nss70 said:

As said above he'll dodge the draft as long as he's not in the blue book.

I cant believe it's that simple! As soon as you register the birth they are in the system and surely the government/militay must go by the birth records to know when someone become eligible. If not being registered in a Tabian Baan was the answer then many Thais would be doing it. It is against the law not to register a Thai living at a property, so I'm not sure what would happen if someone was found dodging the draft by not registering an address.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I cant believe it's that simple! As soon as you register the birth they are in the system and surely the government/militay must go by the birth records to know when someone become eligible.

If the child is born outside of Thailand the birth is not registered here since it does not have a ID number on it. When born here the child is registered in house book when the birth is registered and their ID number is on the birth certificate.

If those born outside the country never get a ID number until they are registered in a house book to obtain it. That is why they can doge the draft.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If the child is born outside of Thailand the birth is not registered here since it does not have a ID number on it. When born here the child is registered in house book when the birth is registered and their ID number is on the birth certificate.

If those born outside the country never get a ID number until they are registered in a house book to obtain it. That is why they can doge the draft.

The advice was to register the foreign birth to receive a Thai birth certificate. Surely that must get the foreign born child in to the Thai system.

My main concern would be illegally dodging the draft, which could be the case if the Thai wasn't registered as living at their address.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The advice was to register the foreign birth to receive a Thai birth certificate. Surely that must get the foreign born child in to the Thai system.

That is not registered in a database that would make them subject to the draft. They are not fully registered until they get a ID number and are registered in a house book.

Conscription is done at the district level based upon house book registries.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not registered in a database that would make them subject to the draft. They are not fully registered until they get a ID number and are registered in a house book.

Conscription is done at the district level based upon house book registries.

Ok, regardless of how they determine who qualifies for the draft, the advice was not to register this person at an address which breaks the law. I'm interested to know what would happen if the government/military found out that a foreign born Thai now living in Thailand was dodging the draft by breaking registration laws.

It's all well and good proposing an illegal way to dodge the draft, but what are the consequences? It doesn't seem like a bullet proof solution to me.

36 minutes ago, elviajero said:

My main concern would be illegally dodging the draft, which could be the case if the Thai wasn't registered as living at their address.

You aren't on the radar. I've been through the process.

There are a number of other criteria for being called up, namely being in the country for starters and being resident.

When I went to finally get my ID I was 29 and turning 30 in the same year. This was the same year as I moved back more or less permanently. Partly by design, I did that as I read the rules years earlier, and that is when you become exempt.

Had been in and out of Thailand on three Canberra issued Thai passports up to that point. Stayed a while here and there but had spent time in Australia and the UK for work and education too in my 20's. If I was in Thailand for extended periods before I turned 30, I made sure I wasn't around during the draft period in April, just to be sure. Australia was nice that time of year anyway.

For the house reg and ID card, there was still a bit of paperwork and officialdom involved, and I needed people to vouch for me. Took a few days. Ultimately it was based off the fragile Thai embassy issued BC that I had gotten decades before.

I then went next to speak to the army guys. They looked up the rules, and lo and behold I was correct. Issued my army papers, formally inducting me into the reserve forces like all Thai men under 45 are (level two, subclass 2), so if Thailand goes to war and they really run out of people, I guess they'll find me at the bottom of the barrel if they want to scrape that low.

Sent across the road to the police station as part of the process to pay an official fine for reporting late. Max fine was 400 baht. I got stung 200 baht, discounted because I reported voluntarily. Took the official receipt back. Paperwork sorted. 

All legit too. Military draft paperwork was then used as part of my wife's citizenship application, which a Thai husband has to show as part of the process.

Edited by samran

• 2 weeks later...

New complication!

My son has re-entered Thailand on his 60 day SETV but we've just noticed he has been stamped for 30 days at Suv. airport.

A visit to immigration in Patong came up with zero as they advised a border run to correct it which will obviously expire the visa.

We're going to the main Phuket office tomorrow to see if they can fix it or if indeed the visa trumps the stamp by entry date alone?

Any pointers before we go are appreciated.

2 minutes ago, nss70 said:

We're going to the main Phuket office tomorrow to see if they can fix it or if indeed the visa trumps the stamp by entry date alone?

They will correct the stamping error.

Patong offers limited services is the reason the gave incorrect info.

6 minutes ago, offset said:

Is it true that if a child does military training while at school I think it is for 4 years he will not be added to the draft

They can do military cadet training  while in school. Not sure but I think it is only the last 2 years of high school. The are exempt from the draft but subject to call up in an emergency until they turn 30 years old.

Our son did it when in high school. He got a little nervous about a call up when things got stirred up with Cambodia last decade. But over 30 now.