90 Day reporting at Jomtien yesterday

I don't know why people keep posting about how quick they did their 90 day report as though it's something very unusual, I've found it to be pretty much the norm, unless you happen to go after a long weekend, then you may wait a while.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't know why people keep posting about how quick they did their 90 day report as though it's something very unusual, I've found it to be pretty much the norm, unless you happen to go after a long weekend, then you may wait a while.

I agree. If you're set up with the computer printed form already in your passport, it will usually be very rapid.

More remarkable I suppose would be completing a retirement extension in 5 minutes. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree. If you're set up with the computer printed form already in your passport, it will usually be very rapid.

More remarkable I suppose would be completing a retirement extension in 5 minutes. 

That would be unusual, but I have done it in about 15 minutes, not including the visit to the bank and returning to pick up the passport.

I get sick of people whinging and whining all the time and feel when I get excellent service-really fast-really efficient service then it should be credited.  I was expecting a couple of hours and had not realised the flimsy was relevant to expediting the process.  I spent less than a minute in the building from the time I walked in the door and out again.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The manic said:

I get sick of people whinging and whining all the time and feel when I get excellent service-really fast-really efficient service then it should be credited.  I was expecting a couple of hours and had not realised the flimsy was relevant to expediting the process.  I spent less than a minute in the building from the time I walked in the door and out again.  

Like I said, pretty much the norm.

Not Jomtien but Khon Kaen (sorry). 

For 4 of my last 5 90-day reports, Immigration have just asked for the receipt from the previous report - in and out in no time. On one occasion, they had computer problems so asked for additional papers but not a problem. 

Now, posters on KK Forum say that copies of a number of papers are routinely required - TM47, TM30, TM6, passport data page, 'O' visa, last entry stamp, last re-entry permit & last extension -- a big step backwards if true. 

I'm due to report tomorrow and will give only the previous computer-printed, bar-coded receipt from last time but will be armed with the additional pages which they can have if they ask for them.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes all true but what is the perceived need for this reporting?

15 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Why is the 90 day reporting required as a start 

Ask immigration, but as a rough guess it's to keep tabs on you, making sure your visa is current and that you are alive and kicking. Also to keep a couple (at least) of immigration officers in full-time employment.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Ask immigration, but as a rough guess it's to keep tabs on you, making sure your visa is current and that you are alive and kicking. Also to keep a couple (at least) of immigration officers in full-time employment.

Long time ago Yeah I  think creating jobs is up there. I don't know any other country  that does this. I may be wrong but seems a hassle for what. We were told that we could report by Internet a long time ago but the system appears to still not work..

All ridiculous.

Just now, maoro2013 said:

Long time ago Yeah I  think creating jobs is up there. I don't know any other country  that does this. I may be wrong but seems a hassle for what. We were told that we could report by Internet a long time ago but the system appears to still not work..

All ridiculous.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, takes so little time and I usually combine the immigration report with a bit of shopping, so no biggie.

5 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

What I ask is why.

A section of the immigration act of 1979 is why.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the
competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as
possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is
an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Doubt that will be implemented in Chiang Mai.  They seem to enjoy the Machiavellian approach here.  I'm surprise they don't require you to wear thumbscrews while standing in line at zero-dark-thirty to add to the pain.

• Like 2

I think your talking crap....I went in there at 4.10pm yesterday...one person in front of me before getting my ticket at the front desk,seconds later got the ticket...460.....went to the seating adjacent to the Officer,ticket 459 got up to leave.460 called ,I was right there,the lady took at least 3 minutes to take my passport,review it,and scan,staple it into my passport and return it to me,you don't get any quicker than that,and it was at least 3 minutes!!!! A lot better than filling in the form and sitting in the long queues of a couple of years ago.

Edited by Jimbo53
Doubled up

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

Not Jomtien but Khon Kaen (sorry). 

For 4 of my last 5 90-day reports, Immigration have just asked for the receipt from the previous report - in and out in no time. On one occasion, they had computer problems so asked for additional papers but not a problem. 

Now, posters on KK Forum say that copies of a number of papers are routinely required - TM47, TM30, TM6, passport data page, 'O' visa, last entry stamp, last re-entry permit & last extension -- a big step backwards if true. 

I'm due to report tomorrow and will give only the previous computer-printed, bar-coded receipt from last time but will be armed with the additional pages which they can have if they ask for them.

Now, posters on KK Forum say that copies of a number of papers are routinely required - TM47, TM30, TM6, passport data page, 'O' visa, last entry stamp, last re-entry permit & last extension.

Exactly what you need to get processed in Chiang Mai, well, after you stand in line.  Always has been that way.  Keeps the photocopy business busy and obviously the Thai paper industries. Don't ever see that changing anytime soon.  I'm jealous, but not enough to move. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I think your talking crap....I went in there at 4.10pm yesterday...one person in front of me before getting my ticket at the front desk,seconds later got the ticket...460.....went to the seating adjacent to the Officer,ticket 459 got up to leave.460 called ,I was right there,the lady took at least 3 minutes to take my passport,review it,and scan,staple it into my passport and return it to me,you don't get any quicker than that,and it was at least 3 minutes!!!! A lot better than filling in the form and sitting in the long queues of a couple of years ago.

Ps: I don't why you had a pink slip....they are normally blue!!!

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Retirement extension never more than 30 minutes for me, usually less.  Best time was 7 minures (true), I found it hard to believe myself.

I went yesterday as well, even with 12 ahead of me in the queue (I clearly picked a busy moment), I was in and out in 15 minutes.  Jomtien are very efficient on 90 day reporting and retirement extensions in my experience.  The place is always packed out but those two desks always manage to process people fairly quickly.

16 hours ago, Saan said:

You are only posting your experience at Jomtien immigration to make the expats in Chiang Mai weep.

You're bloody right there, mate. It continues to be a pain in the rear-end, although to be fair the officers are polite and gracious with their insistence on photocopying most passport pages.  And they do manage to process about 25 retirements visas a day. The other week I arrived for this annual visa at 5.15 am, was 18th in the queue, and when I received my ticket at 9.15, was told to come back at 1pm, and at half-past two, I was cleared. I gather that BKK won't approve more manpower to process these visas, as there continues to be only one officer plus a girl helper.