Gems. Stones

tigerbeer

sis is down and wants to get some good gems, stones. seen a lot around, night bazaar and everywhere in chiang mai. problem is that, i don;t know of any places i can trust. cheap and most importantly genuine. any suggestions please? names of places and contacts would be very much appreciated.

sis is down and wants to get some good gems, stones. seen a lot around, night bazaar and everywhere in chiang mai. problem is that, i don;t know of any places i can trust. cheap and most importantly genuine. any suggestions please? names of places and contacts would be very much appreciated.

I've found Nassar of 'Sharez Jewelers' on Thapae Road to be one of the most honest gem dealers I've ever encountered. His stones are good quality, and his prices hard to beat unless you're a gem dealer yourself. I've bought a lot of loose stones from him over the past few years, as well as having stones set. All have been at a fraction of their appraised value in the US.

The Fly Fisherman

I've found Nassar of 'Sharez Jewelers' on Thapae Road to be one of the most honest gem dealers I've ever encountered. His stones are good quality, and his prices hard to beat unless you're a gem dealer yourself. I've bought a lot of loose stones from him over the past few years, as well as having stones set. All have been at a fraction of their appraised value in the US.

The Fly Fisherman

mongoose, exactly what the fisherman answered. she just wants a few stones. ruby, sapphire etc. semi precious.

perfect. will give it a go. where exactly is sheraz on thapae road?

The Fly Fisherman

Well, I've had different experiences with Mr. Nassar.. About 8 years ago, I sat with him and picked out 4 beautifully matched pearls. When I finally got the already-paid for merchandise implanted into jewlry, the pearls that I had chosen were switched, and now none of the pearls matched. I came back a week later with them, and he denied they came from his shop, accusing me of being the person that switched them. As far as I am concerned, he is a thief and a liar, but tried to stay clean by accusing someone else (Me) of being the bad guy... DO NOT TRUST HIM OR HIS SHOP

Edited by Ajarn

The Fly Fisherman

Well, I've had different experiences with Mr. Nassar.. About 8 years ago, I sat with him and picked out 4 beautifully matched pearls. When I finally got the already-paid for merchandise implanted into jewlry, the pearls that I had chosen were switched, and now none of the pearls matched. I came back a week later with them, and he denied they came from his shop, accusing me of being the person that switched them. As far as I am concerned, he is a thief and a liar, but tried to stay clean by accusing someone else (Me) of being the bad guy... DO NOT TRUST HIM OR HIS SHOP

ajarn, thanks for the words of advise. that would certainly be taken into consideration. leaves me no choice but to stay away from that shop then. would you have any suggestion of places to buy from?

i do realise though that no one can really be sure of any place at any one time. 1 person might get cheated and another person given a good deal. but should any place have a good reputation, id certainly like to know. in this case, looks like fisherman was the lucky one and ajarn not!

The Fly Fisherman

ajarn, thanks for the words of advise. that would certainly be taken into consideration. leaves me no choice but to stay away from that shop then. would you have any suggestion of places to buy from?

i do realise though that no one can really be sure of any place at any one time. 1 person might get cheated and another person given a good deal. but should any place have a good reputation, id certainly like to know. in this case, looks like fisherman was the lucky one and ajarn not!

I don't know of any place I would trust. I thought I had made a good choice since I was aquainted with Nassar and his wife, who were members of the same church as my wife, but it didn't work out for me.

Edited by Ajarn

The Fly Fisherman

I have been here a few years and I always looked at this guy's advertisements in the various Chiangmai tourist mags.

The pictures of him sitting there with a pile of what could be (likely to be) bits of coloured glass and some gullible tourist with $$$$$'s in his eyes dreaming of how he was going to make his fortune selling his gems when he returned home, just didn't impress me.

Even just looking at the guy he looks "shifty" and I think this is a good place to start (trusting your own impressions)

I wouldn't trust him either and have no desire (or intention) to ever cross the threshhold of his shop.

The Fly Fisherman

It begs the question; why? Why does this happen to some folks and not others? Is it luck?

I've bought rubies, sapphires, and emeralds from him, some lose, some mounted. This over the course of several years. Each time we have them appraised by shops in NYC, and each time was more than pleased with the savings.

Mr. Nassar is the leader of the Bahai community in Chiang Mai. I'm not a member myself, but I've never met a Bahai who was even the slightest bit unsavory, and I have to state that I am quite opposed to most organized religions and their leaders. Not so the Bahai faith. They really do seem to practice what they believe (the Bahais don't really 'preach,' instead they live their faith.) I can't say that about any other religion, even my own.

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

I have been here a few years and I always looked at this guy's advertisements in the various Chiangmai tourist mags.

The pictures of him sitting there with a pile of what could be (likely to be) bits of coloured glass and some gullible tourist with $$$$$'s in his eyes dreaming of how he was going to make his fortune selling his gems when he returned home, just didn't impress me.

Even just looking at the guy he looks "shifty" and I think this is a good place to start (trusting your own impressions)

I wouldn't trust him either and have no desire (or intention) to ever cross the threshhold of his shop.

Why judge a book by it's cover? Wouldn't it make more sense to go in and actually meet the man, then make your decision rather than looking at an advert in a magazine? Ever see the photo of Einstein sticking his tongue out? Would you trust the guy in that photo to work with sub atomic particles? :o

Meet Nassar and make your decisions based on personal interaction. Believe me, it's more accurate than photos in a magazine!

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

Why judge a book by it's cover? Wouldn't it make more sense to go in and actually meet the man, then make your decision rather than looking at an advert in a magazine? Ever see the photo of Einstein sticking his tongue out? Would you trust the guy in that photo to work with sub atomic particles? :D

Meet Nassar and make your decisions based on personal interaction. Believe me, it's more accurate than photos in a magazine!

The Fly Fisherman

My intuition and Ajarns personal experience is good enough for me.

Personal interaction has got nothing to do with it.

Having said that I'm not gonna get into another "hillside 4" type debate on it :o

AND some of the worlds most notorious of crooks have been "religious"

Edited by john b good

Why judge a book by it's cover? Wouldn't it make more sense to go in and actually meet the man, then make your decision rather than looking at an advert in a magazine? Ever see the photo of Einstein sticking his tongue out? Would you trust the guy in that photo to work with sub atomic particles? :o

The Fly Fisherman

I had a similar experience to Ajarn many years ago with Mr. Nassar, and would not touch him with a ten foot pole. With his wife trying to distract me with Bahai pamphlets and the offer to come and visit them, I did not end up with what I paid for.

For guaranteed quality and some of the best stones in Chiangmai you cannot go past Chiangmai Gems Gallery out on the Sangkampheang road. A professionally run establishment with qualified staff, and free beer on tap!!

Not getting much help here, are you? :o

JxP

Not getting much help here, are you? :o

JxP

Take her out to Chiangmai Gems Gallery on the Chiangmai - Sankamphaeng Road.

It's the biggest jewelry & gems shop in the world.

Any gems (cut, uncut, set or otherwise) purchased from there will be still a fraction of the cost at home, wherever "home" is.

Yes they do have a complimentary bar but in the twenty or so times that I have been there I don't recollect ever having a drink (other than cofee)

They also have several mini-theatres where you can watch videos of gems being mined through to being set.

It is a professional operation, not a "hole in the wall" trying to suck people in and distracting them in the name of religion.

Take a look, if you haven't already been there already and you will agree that it is without comparision anywhere.

I am not sure what you are inferring or attempting to infer "chownah"

Yeah, free beer!!!! Just take your time and drink a few beers and then let's start talking about what you'd like to buy.......no...go ahead hoist a few....we're all really friendly here.....sure...have another!!!!

ahhahahahhahaha

Is it that they get you drunk and then sell you a suitcase of gems (in any event they won't be bits of glass)

Edited by john b good

Friends of mine have bought items from the store/showroom near Doi Suthep. If I remember rightly its on the side of the car park.

I can't remember the name but something like Orcid jade seems to ring a bell. Quality seemed pretty good and prices not too bad.

Why judge a book by it's cover? Wouldn't it make more sense to go in and actually meet the man, then make your decision rather than looking at an advert in a magazine? Ever see the photo of Einstein sticking his tongue out? Would you trust the guy in that photo to work with sub atomic particles? :D

The Fly Fisherman

>>>My intuition and Ajarns personal experience is good enough for me.

>>>Personal interaction has got nothing to do with it.

In Thailand? Personal interaction has got nothing to do with it? Am I reading this correctly?

Last I knew, personal interaction was about the most important aspect of business deals here. :D

>>>Having said that I'm not gonna get into another "hillside 4" type debate on it :o

Nothing here to debate. Your intuition? My experience? These are both subjective. :D

I'll continue to shop at Nassar's store, as I have for years. You and Ajarn won't. That's OK.

Ajarn says he trusts no one. That's OK too.

Me..... I trust lots of folks. That's probably OK as well.

>>>AND some of the worlds most notorious of crooks have been "religious"

..... as were some of the most philanthropic and charitable people the world has ever known. I guess for some, the glass is always half empty. For others, it's half full. And that's OK too.

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

In Thailand? Personal interaction has got nothing to do with it? Am I reading this correctly?

Last I knew, personal interaction was about the most important aspect of business deals here. :D

>>>Having said that I'm not gonna get into another "hillside 4" type debate on it :o

Nothing here to debate. Your intuition? My experience? These are both subjective. :D

I'll continue to shop at Nassar's store, as I have for years. You and Ajarn won't. That's OK.

..... as were some of the most philanthropic and charitable people the world has ever known. I guess for some, the glass is always half empty. For others, it's half full. And that's OK too.

The Fly Fisherman

Listen fly, if you want to whine, then please leave me out of it.

The Fly Fisherman

mongoose, exactly what the fisherman answered. she just wants a few stones. ruby, sapphire etc. semi precious.

perfect. will give it a go. where exactly is sheraz on thapae road?

I have never bought from Sharez, but I used to hire him to appraise rough rubies and spinel. He did give me some good advice early on, which was "just because it is genuine , does not necessarly make it desired". I had been so intent on insuring that the 'thuptiem' was genuine I had picked up some rather homely specimens.

Walking into a stone shop and basically saying I want your best ruby for 3 grand is like walking into a used car dealer and saying give me your best used car for 3 grand.

Buy yourseld a 10 power loupe and a book on how to basically identify the stones you are interested in. Going to the big gems places out in Sankaphaeng is no guarantee of quality either. However, the best way to begin to get an idea of price and quality look at at least 50 different rubies at a full range of prices using your loupe ,after learning how to use it. Ruby is the easiest to separate the obvious fakes because of the so called 'silk' that can easily be seen within the ruby with a ten power loupe. Also look for inclusions. Inclusions are good sign that it is probably authentic. Clour can be changed by heat or radiation, but don't worry about that. Star rubies are quite fantastic but make sure that the 'star' moves about as you move the ruby. Created stars tend to stay at a fixed point and these bogus stars are available in the 'better Sangkhapaeng gem shops. Last point, don't expect that pretty ruby salesgirl to know what she is talking about, she's primarily there to have you looking at her and not what you are buying....talk to the boss in back.

Last comment....It is well accepted that if you are from North America you will get better quality and prices at the Tuscon,Arizona Gem Show than you will (generally) get in Thailand.

...Ken

The Fly Fisherman

Last I knew, personal interaction was about the most important aspect of business deals here. :bah:

The Fly Fisherman

"Listen fly?" Shades of Edward G. Robinson!!! :D

Please tell me you're joking!!!!

Next we know you'll be reaching for your tommygun! :bah:

'Whine' is defined as a complaint, a distressed cry.

I was praising Nassar. Expressing a favorable judgment of the man and his ethics.

If you'll notice, it was you who was complaining. Wouldn't that make you the one who was whining?

Let's keep our facts straight. :D

Larry, if you wanted to be left out of it, you shouldn't have posted. It was your choice. :o

The Fly Fisherman

Ruby is the easiest to separate the obvious fakes because of the so called 'silk' that can easily be seen within the ruby with a ten power loupe. Also look for inclusions. Inclusions are good sign that it is probably authentic.

...Ken

Hi Ken,

I just wanted to clarify one thing. While the presence of silk is a good indication of natural ruby, the absence of it does not indicate a fake. The high temperature heating that is being done on almost all stones coming out of Mong Shu ( current source of the vast majority of small stones from Burma) dissolves the silk rutile. The other complication is some ruby is now being heated at a lower temperature that does not dissolve the rutile. They add glass to the crucible that fills in fractures. It can be hard to tell without a microscope. So you may see rutile in an apparently good stone that is worth far less than a stone with no rutile. I know there is at least one burner in Mai Sai using glass filling (and disclosing the fact), but I would assume there are others who don't admit it.

If you are interested in seeing some examples, Vincent at AIGS has a lot of pictures on his website fieldgemology.com

Edited by Tim207

The Fly Fisherman

Last I knew, personal interaction was about the most important aspect of business deals here. :bah:

The Fly Fisherman

I was praising Nassar. Expressing a favorable judgment of the man and his ethics.

If you'll notice, it was you who was complaining. Wouldn't that make you the one who was whining?

Larry, if you wanted to be left out of it, you shouldn't have posted. It was your choice. :o

The Fly Fisherman

How old are you? You sound like an angry child.

The Fly Fisherman

Last I knew, personal interaction was about the most important aspect of business deals here. :o

The Fly Fisherman

Larry, if you wanted to be left out of it, you shouldn't have posted. It was your choice. ;)

The Fly Fisherman

Was it me who said 'Listen, fly?' (I find it hard to say that with a straight face.) :bah:

Now THAT sounds angry! Oopps! Nope, not me. Who then?

If you follow your usual pattern, next you'll call me a troll. You've done that to everyone who disagrees with you, on all the boards you've posted to. Let's just end this right now, Larry, so we can avoid your pouting. I guess you still haven't found a comfortable mattress and the stress level is building. Please don't take it out on us. You said you wanted to left out. Start by leaving yourself out. It's a great beginning, and the rest of us can discuss buying gem stones. :D

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

"Listen fly?" Shades of Edward G. Robinson!!!

Next we know you'll be reaching for your tommygun!

The Fly Fisherman

Was it me who said 'Listen, fly?' (I find it hard to say that with a straight face.) :D

Now THAT sounds angry! Oopps! Nope, not me. Who then?

If you follow your usual pattern, next you'll call me a troll. You've done that to everyone who disagrees with you, on all the boards you've posted to. Let's just end this right now, Larry, so we can avoid your pouting. I guess you still haven't found a comfortable mattress and the stress level is building. Please don't take it out on us. You said you wanted to left out. Start by leaving yourself out. It's a great beginning, and the rest of us can discuss buying gem stones. ;)

The Fly Fisherman

A very angry child :bah:

I guess you still haven't found a comfortable mattress and the stress level is building.

I don't think he is the only one with rising stress levels - I get then reading these posts :o

Please read my posts and you can see that my stress levels are not rising one bit. :D

Precisely, enough is enough. Further such attempts at hijacking the thread with bickering and flaming, ALL OF YOU (and you know who you are), will result in warnings all around.

Back to the topic at hand please :o