Ten vehicle pile-up - but the one that caused it gets off scot free!

webfact

Ten vehicle pile-up - but the one that caused it gets off scot free!

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SISAKET: -- Witnesses said that a ten vehicle pile up on the Sisaket bypass yesterday was caused by a pick-up truck that stopped suddenly to make a U-turn.

But the pick-up was able to make the turn without a problem as carnage ensued behind.

Police said that ten vehicles were involved. The first just had damage to the back but the others had front and rear damage up until the last in the pile up.

One person was injured and taken to hospital as cops, drivers and insurance companies tried to unravel the mess.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-23

6 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Of course all 10 cars were keeping a safe distance -_-

And naturally like most Thai cars they were well maintained so that brakes worked efficiently and no one was on their mobile phone, picking their nose or trying to get one of those stupid nose scents stuck up their nostrils as all Thais like doing, when this incident occurred. Alternatively it could be just trying to poke something up the backside of a Liverpool supporter.

24 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Of course all 10 cars were keeping a safe distance -_-

Well of course not. The pick up driver should have known that every vehicle behind him was tailgating (I'm sure there's a Freudian explanation for that), and he needed to move over to the far left and then cross every lane of traffic while making the  U turn...And the drivers behind him should have been on the lookout for every other driver coming to a complete stop in order to: (Pick One) 1) Make a Turn. 2) Answer a cellphone. 3) Look in the rear view mirror to check hair, makeup, etc. 4) Just because.

Besides, he probably had his Right turn signal on, meaning that all traffic should pass him on the right until he was ready to make the turn.

Edited by jaltsc

"Witnesses said that a ten vehicle pile up on the Sisaket bypass yesterday was caused by a pick-up truck that stopped suddenly to make a U-turn. "

Incorrect.

The pile up was caused by nine cars travelling too quickly, too close together and not paying sufficient attention to what was going on ahead of them.

The only one I have sympathy for is the lead car that got hit in the rear. He at least had kept sufficient distance between himself and the car making the U-Turn not to hit it.

The rest of them should be charged with driving with undue care and attention. they are all very lucky no one was killed.

I was travelling to Pattaya from Bangkok on Tuesday and was pooing myself at the crazy and dangerous tailgating of other vehicles by our driver.

I will never use that guy again, though most of the rest sadly are no better.

Surely the vehicle that caused this pile-up was the one that ran into the back of the first vehicle and then all the others contributed to it?   No point in blaming a car that was ahead of all the others and not involved in the collision in any way.

17 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Surely the vehicle that caused this pile-up was the one that ran into the back of the first vehicle and then all the others contributed to it?   No point in blaming a car that was ahead of all the others and not involved in the collision in any way.

I think the previous post was more accurate. The lead car stopped in time, the pile up was the fault of nine other drivers driving too close and too fast, not just the first one to hit the lead car.

The rest of them are at fault too. If they were keeping a safe distance, none of the others would have been involved.

They like to slipstream to save fuel and at night even greater savings to be had by turning off the lights too.

The ultimate money saver is driving on the wrong side of the road (not the cute motorbike in town way...I'm talking the pickup on the highway way). :mellow: Can you imagine having to travel 500m to the next available u-turn? Everyone would be out on the streets due to poverty.

The only one that can clearly have blame apportioned is the last one since any of the ones in front could have been caused by a shunt from behind.

True, but "clarity" doesn't come into the equation here. One of our members was sued for accident where 2 racers driving on the wrong side of the road crashed into his stationary vehicle.

18 minutes ago, Orac said:

The only one that can clearly have blame apportioned is the last one since any of the ones in front could have been caused by a shunt from behind.

Have another look at the photo.

The Blue pick up at the frontof the scenes back end is in the air, so the vehicle that hit him was moving quickly.

If only the last vehicle was at fault, he would have needed to hit the second last car at an unbelieveable speed to cause that much shunting momentum.

His car would have been utterly destroyed.

It may be possible that one or more of those in the middle may have just stopped in time, but again, the level of damage shown suggests this is not overly likely.

Obviously you would have had to witness it to know for sure.

I think the big issue is that the Headline is incorrect. The vehicle making a U-Turn was not at fault. Those following too fast were.

Until I reread the article and saw it was in Sisaket I thought it was the one I passed yesterday around 4.30pm. Coming through Bo Win on the 331 a blue pick up with its arse sticking in the air and a very crushed white saloon car underneath it with several other cars damaged behind. No U turn though.

I was in a similar shunt a few years ago ( not in Thailand), this was a nine car pile up, I was number 4.
I had managed to stop but was shunted into the car in front as was claimed by another car behind but that was all irrelevant as I had no proof.
As I was in a rental I didn't worry too much, although the guy in the last car was hurt pretty bad and had internal bleeding ( centre seatbelt caused this ).
This chaos was caused by first car slowing down abruptly to look at a 2 car shunt on other side !!

I always try and keep a safe distance from the car in front but some <deleted> twit usually overtakes on the left and slides in the gap !!

(twit wasn't my first choice of words )

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

"Witnesses said that a ten vehicle pile up on the Sisaket bypass yesterday was caused by a pick-up truck that stopped suddenly to make a U-turn. "

Incorrect.

The pile up was caused by nine cars travelling too quickly, too close together and not paying sufficient attention to what was going on ahead of them.

The only one I have sympathy for is the lead car that got hit in the rear. He at least had kept sufficient distance between himself and the car making the U-Turn not to hit it.

The rest of them should be charged with driving with undue care and attention. they are all very lucky no one was killed.

I was travelling to Pattaya from Bangkok on Tuesday and was pooing myself at the crazy and dangerous tailgating of other vehicles by our driver.

I will never use that guy again, though most of the rest sadly are no better.

Yep, reporters can't count... and I agree with your other comments.