Less polluted area in Bangkok near BTS/MRT....

dblaisde

42 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

The area between Phrom Phong and Thong Lo (Wattana side) is not bad. Quite green, not too many high rises.

Thanks. Could you recommend a hotel or some streets so I can look at a specific area on foot?

The reason I ask is that I've visited the "Dental Hospital, Bangkok" on Sukhumvit 49, which seems to be smack in that area and thought the area was polluted. I walked to it from Sukumvit and could feel it.

Edited by dblaisde

Just now, dblaisde said:

Thanks. Could you recommend a hotel or some streets so I can look at a specific area on foot?

Sure. 

I lived in the 39 Boulevard Executive Residence (serviced apartments in Phrom Chit Alley) for a while. A bit pricey, but with really spacious apartments and v. friendly staff. Gym and pool on upper floors - not huge, but with great views. Nice place to stay while you're looking for something permanent.

As far as streets are concerned - lots of nice, quiet sois betweeen Soi Sawatdee and Soi Thong Lo. Phon Si Alley right next to 39 Blvd has some quiet condos (DS Tower II for instance). As for the connection to Soi Thong Lo, I usually went the following route: Soi Phrom Chit, Sukhumvit 39, Sukh. 49/11 alley, Soi Sukh 49, Thong Lo 23 alley, Thong Lo. Again, there are many side streets along the way and many hidden apartment buildings.

3 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

Thanks very much. How did 39 Boulevard Executive Residence cost you? I'm wondering if I could afford it.

I don't remember exactly plus I was given some discount for longer stay, but I recon it was between 2000-2500 THB per night.

I'd rent by the month. Anyway, it looks like a nice neighborhood, and up in the clouds is further away from the pollution I suppose. I'll hunt for something in that neighborhood that's a bit cheaper :) using the DD website. Thanks again. I'm renting long term (once I find a place I like) and am retired so 30K a month would be my limit I think.

Just now, dblaisde said:

I'd rent by the month. Anyway, it looks like a nice neighborhood, and up in the clouds is further away from the pollution I suppose. I'll hunt for something in that neighborhood that's a bit cheaper :) using the DD website. Thanks again. I'm renting long term (once I find a place I like) and am retired so 30K a month would be my limit I think.

If you're going long term, there are lots of great options in the area. After I moved out from 39 Blvd, I rented a 65m condo on Soi Thong Lo for 20k a month.

Also check out http://www.hipflat.co.th/, they have a great search engine.

Good luck with the search.

Thanks, I think I'll need luck. Or just a lot of shoe leather. Too bad hipflat doesn't speak English (natively, that is). Anyway, it won't be hard to know know how my lungs are doing in any particular area. :)

Edited by dblaisde

1 minute ago, dblaisde said:

Thanks, I think I'll need luck. Or just a lot of shoe leather. Too bad hipflat doesn't speak English (natively, that is). Anyway, it won't be hard to know how my lungs are doing in any particular area. :)

If you click on the Thai flag on the upper menu of hipflat, it will display a menu, where you can select English.

11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

For 20-30k you can rent a whole house in a moobaan with green parks/lakes/gym/pool skytrain and all...much better than a condo.

Indeed, and the MRT goes quite a long way out now, look at the Purple Line (the Bang Sue / Tao Poon link will open in August) and the BTS extension past Bearing (opening end 2018).

On February 26, 2560 BE at 1:17 AM, Thainess said:

Norway. 

Every metropolitan area in Thailand is polluted, but Bangkok in particular is the most polluted city in Asia outside the Chinese and Indian hellholes.

I recommend you try Norway.

This is simply not true. Bangkok is one of the LEAST polluted big cities in Asia!

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

For 20-30k you can rent a whole house in a moobaan with green parks/lakes/gym/pool skytrain and all...much better than a condo.

Considering the same or similar area of Bangkok, ground-level homes get a lot more pollutants and humidity than a high-level condo, which profits from the almost daily breezes between the nearby sea and the landmass to the North. Not to mention the mosquitos and many other nuisances in and around a ground-level house. I have lived in both, and have experienced the differences. 

On 26/02/2017 at 1:17 AM, Thainess said:

Norway. 

Every metropolitan area in Thailand is polluted, but Bangkok in particular is the most polluted city in Asia outside the Chinese and Indian hellholes.

This is nonsense; quite apart from the aforementioned Chinese and Indian cities, what about Indonesian and Filipino cities, to mention but two other countries?

Bangkok may suffer from air pollution - almost every major city in Asia does - but it ranks well down the list of worst offenders. To verify my assertion, use one of the many AQI apps available for mobile phones.

As to the OP's problem - you would do well to find somewhere well down a soi, away from Sukhumvit and other major roads, though this somewhat defeats the point of being near the BTS.

While PM2.5 pollution, the most dangerous type, has many causes, traffic is not the primary one, but living well away from heavy traffic and using an efficient air purifier at home, especially at night, may help alleviate your lung and throat problem.

You may have a common cold or virus!

I've lived close to the Onnut BTS station on Sukhumvit, Soi 81, for 5 years without any signs of pollution illness.  Having lived in Phoenix, AZ, Los Angeles, CA and San Jose, Costa Rica, I know the smell of pollution and the ill affects.

Your content could prevent tourists from coming here.

Us Expats who have lived here for many decades like to see positive content to keep the foreign cash flow coming in.

4 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

This is nonsense; quite apart from the aforementioned Chinese and Indian cities, what about Indonesian and Filipino cities, to mention but two other countries?

Bangkok may suffer from air pollution - almost every major city in Asia does - but it ranks well down the list of worst offenders. To verify my assertion, use one of the many AQI apps available for mobile phones.

As to the OP's problem - you would do well to find somewhere well down a soi, away from Sukhumvit and other major roads, though this somewhat defeats the point of being near the BTS.

While PM2.5 pollution, the most dangerous type, has many causes, traffic is not the primary one, but living well away from heavy traffic and using an efficient air purifier at home, especially at night, may help alleviate your lung and throat problem.

No it's not nonsense, it's the truth: Check out www.aqicn.org and you'll see that, almost every day of the year, Bangkok's air pollution reading is higher than all cities in Indonesia, higher than Manila, in fact higher than anything except certain cities in India and China. Just because the air pollution in Bangkok doesn't often look thick or smell too bad, doesn't mean that the pollution isn't there and affecting your health. There are a great many private cars in Bangkok, but there are not so many in Manila. The jeepneys there used for public transport produce a lot of dark smoke, but relative to cars they produce less pollution because they can transport 30 people at a time. Believe me, you can bury your head in the sand as much as you like, but the figures simply show that Bangkok has the worst pollution in Asia outside China and India. Just check the figures on aqicn.org daily as I have for more than 2 years... You'll see that the places that "feel" or "smell" more polluted than Bangkok, like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Manila and Jakarta, are actually NOT as polluted as Bangkok. If you don't believe me, just observe the figures for a few weeks. The worst area of Bangkok seems to be around Din Daeng.

12 minutes ago, Thainess said:

No it's not nonsense, it's the truth: Check out www.aqicn.org and you'll see that, almost every day of the year, Bangkok's air pollution reading is higher than all cities in Indonesia, higher than Manila, in fact higher than anything except certain cities in India and China. Just because the air pollution in Bangkok doesn't often look thick or smell too bad, doesn't mean that the pollution isn't there and affecting your health. There are a great many private cars in Bangkok, but there are not so many in Manila. The jeepneys there used for public transport produce a lot of dark smoke, but relative to cars they produce less pollution because they can transport 30 people at a time. Believe me, you can bury your head in the sand as much as you like, but the figures simply show that Bangkok has the worst pollution in Asia outside China and India. Just check the figures on aqicn.org daily as I have for more than 2 years... You'll see that the places that "feel" or "smell" more polluted than Bangkok, like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Manila and Jakarta, are actually NOT as polluted as Bangkok. If you don't believe me, just observe the figures for a few weeks. The worst area of Bangkok seems to be around Din Daeng.

Sorry, but you seem to be completely wrong. Check out this ranking: https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings.jsp

Bangkok ranks on the 100th position, while Manila is on the 20th.

The issue may be that you are checking just a single station on aqicn.org. Which is a great resource BTW.

And from my personal experience - Bangkok really doesn't seem that bad, when compared to Dhaka or Kathmandu, for example.

[edit] Here is another one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_polluted_cities_by_particulate_matter_concentration . Bangkok really low on the list.

Edited by shadowofacloud

up udom suk 103, 3 km,  chaloam prakiat, biggest park in bangkok metro (bigger than both lumpini and jj park). The nicest area i know of in bkk to live in (Prawet district), well according to my taste anyways . Def. feels less congested and poluted. But thats just a guess since i havnt looked in polution numbers etc.

On 26.2.2017 at 1:17 AM, Thainess said:

Norway. 

Your wrong. On the 20 most polluted Megacities-Ranking:BKK ranks on 19 right behind London on 18. Most polluted on 1 is Mexico City.