Much ado about British tabloid’s claim Pattaya is the ‘sex capital of the world’

rooster59

17 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Excuse me , we are talking about image,

Thailand is the sex capital of the word.

Its not going to go away.

Leopards and spots mate. 

i never went to pattaya...but an old expat fellow country man and an expert in this matter told me he was around first time in the 1970 tes...at that time the us army developed pattaya as a recreation resort for the vietnam soldiers ... so ladys come in from all around the country to make money...and since that time the sex business continioud ...once the soldiers was gone the tourists came ...he said on the size of a soccer field an estimate of 15000 prostitutes are working in small street bars out in the open....easy to pick a woman any time of the day...he spend years  there and a small fortune .. i personally am not into hookers but many are ....so whats the fuzz about it ??????? i think everything else that what is there now startet out with the sex industrie and centers around it...its the magnet that brought foreign wealth into thailand...the isaan developed because of the money from foreign man...there is a university study about it and it all comes back to the hookers in pattaya like it or not....

32 minutes ago, free123 said:

i never went to pattaya...but an old expat fellow country man and an expert in this matter told me he was around first time in the 1970 tes...at that time the us army developed pattaya as a recreation resort for the vietnam soldiers ... so ladys come in from all around the country to make money...and since that time the sex business continioud ...once the soldiers was gone the tourists came ...he said on the size of a soccer field an estimate of 15000 prostitutes are working in small street bars out in the open....easy to pick a woman any time of the day...he spend years  there and a small fortune .. i personally am not into hookers but many are ....so whats the fuzz about it ??????? i think everything else that what is there now startet out with the sex industrie and centers around it...its the magnet that brought foreign wealth into thailand...the isaan developed because of the money from foreign man...there is a university study about it and it all comes back to the hookers in pattaya like it or not....

If I may slightly digress, I have been to Pattaya a few times, mostly under the invitation of a friend who's a local there. I've been taken to some really nice eateries, beaches and tucked-away resorts, frequented mainly by locals. I have been to the 'main' part of Pattaya - I assume that's the main road along the beach and the walking street at the end of it - once, and I have to say, it's not really my thing. Didn't have any bad experiences, for the record, and I won't judge anyone who likes that place. To each his/her own, I guess. Anyway, back to the topic - my point, and opinion is, the authorities should be more proactive and strategic in handling this issue, rather than having their panties in knots over what is essentially pure drivel by a trash-press. I mean, let's face it, there are many 'sex capitals' around the world, and while Pattaya may be one of them, I doubt it is the number one in the world (At this junctue, I have to qualify that statement as purely anecdotal and not based on any hard facts - an opinion, if you must. This is to avoid being descended upon by trigger-happy cyber/keyboard warriors who can't read beyond the first few words or can't be arsed to understand anything in a post)..

Anyway, the authorities could consider keeping the boys' town where it is, but regulate it properly (I know enforcement is a very weak link here, but let's try) and at the same time, position and promote Pattaya in a different way - I don't know what, I don't go often enough to comment, but I am sure there are nice things to do and places to eat, visit and stay in Pattaya without being anywhere near even the shadow of the 'sex capital'. I think the authorities are looking for a quick fix, but they should realise that even if they close every single go-go bar in the city - for good, I might add - the image will not go away overnight. Just like proper advertising and communications, it takes time to position and build and sell an image. Instead of trying to rush for an overnight change, a more strategic and organised approach will be more beneficial in the mid to longer term.

Edited by outsider

I posted a topic years ago,  Saying that they would shut walking street and move all the bars back to the dark-side, The Government want Family orientated Hotels, The Big hotels like Their visitors to be chaperoned about in groups, more money for them , It may take time bit it will happen.

Edited by Thongkorn

4 hours ago, free123 said:

You cant say that.

The truth is band in Pattaya.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a bit like an adult Pantomime show.

It's behind you ,  oh no it's not. who's hiding the sausage.

Carry on Pattaya.  we all know what it's built on.

Ps,  And you cant even legally buy a vibrator in this country,   What a load,  

Edited by onemorechang

12 hours ago, Cirencester said:

I wouldnt be half surprised if Soi 6 had been shut down. That fool in charge of multiple bars continues to broadcast photos galore on his facebook page for the whole world to see. Just utter stupidity

So? FInd another soi , theres plenty . 

16 hours ago, Cirencester said:

Hes already been told to close the brand new bars on Bongot that he opened weeks ago to great fanfare. The Ego has landed is the warcry of many when he turns up. I met him unknowingly couple years ago when in a group didnt know who he was at first. Talk about dim and conceited Jesus Wept

Is this the bloke one of the mysteriously referenced 'British businessmen' by some other government mouthpiece wringing his hands about Pattaya being 'outed'?

10 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

I remember reading somewhere that as big as the sex tourist industry is, the sex industry for Thai men is over 10 times bigger.  The sex industry will go away when Thai men stop paying for it, not foreigners.

A clear cut case of "As I say, not as I do."

10 hours ago, free123 said:

...at that time the us army developed pattaya as a recreation resort for the vietnam soldiers ...

Got as far as this fallacious bit of nonsense and stopped reading.

In hindsight, I should have stopped at...

10 hours ago, free123 said:

i never went to pattaya...

Thanks for playing.

6 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

I posted a topic years ago,  Saying that they would shut walking street and move all the bars back to the dark-side, The Government want Family orientated Hotels, The Big hotels like Their visitors to be chaperoned about in groups, more money for them , It may take time bit it will happen.

And the dark-side NIMBY's rise up... "We have enough family entertainment over here already, but thanks anyway."

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Is this the bloke one of the mysteriously referenced 'British businessmen' by some other government mouthpiece wringing his hands about Pattaya being 'outed'?

Almost certainly. I doubt there is another individual foreign businessman with more bars. Wont end well but clearly others have told him to slow down but he takes no notice.

16 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Excuse me , we are talking about image,

Thailand is the sex capital of the word.

Its not going to go away.

Leopards and spots mate. 

Well that is exactly what the Thai minister wants changed. Agreed will take some years but clearly its starting

15 minutes ago, Cirencester said:

Well that is exactly what the Thai minister wants changed. Agreed will take some years but clearly its starting

No , it's about  moving it form one location to a different location.

The SEX industry of Pattaya is going to carry on,   as it does all over

Thailand ,  and has  done for year before we all turned up.

Maybe we can have the old Tea houses of Thailand back again.

Any one for a cuppa ,  nudge nudge,   wink wink. :jap:

46 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

No , it's about  moving it form one location to a different location.

The SEX industry of Pattaya is going to carry on,   as it does all over

Thailand ,  and has  done for year before we all turned up.

Maybe we can have the old Tea houses of Thailand back again.

Any one for a cuppa ,  nudge nudge,   wink wink. :jap:

Well lets agree to disagree. A lot of changes are coming I have no doubt but will I guess take at least 5 years plus before its really noticed. Cretins putting "no underwear party" and similar on Facebook do none of us any favours

On 2/26/2017 at 8:14 AM, Orac said:

Not even take awys now - hearing they closed the whole street down last night.

Really? Fake news maybe?

Business as usual again... not sure about the short time room availability but all bars open for business the past few days.

Really? Fake news maybe?

Business as usual again... not sure about the short time room availability but all bars open for business the past few days.

You could be right there.

Wasn't out personally on Sat but it was posted up on one of the popular facebook sites from a usually reliable poster but no conformation from anywhere else and the normal goto forum for soi 6 activities was offline for a day or two.