Leicester’s Thai owners fall into ‘ingratitude’ trap

webfact

Leicester’s Thai owners fall into ‘ingratitude’ trap
By The Nation

Sacking of coach Ranieri defies logic and beggars belief

Head rules the heart – “Cruel”, “Shocking” and “Bizarre Timing” are among media reactions to the decision by the Thai owners of Leicester City Football Club (LCFC) to sack its manager, Claudio Ranieri. All of these reflected what most people felt when they heard the news. Of course, everyone knew that the club was precariously lingering just above the relegation zone, with the possibility of being demoted from the English Premier League increasingly and scarily real, but his situation is not the only story of this disastrous season. His story is a lot more, and the Thai owners of all people should have known it.

The Thai executives have become controversial figures – to say the least – in the football world after Leicester’s miracles last season lifted their status, making them owners of one of Europe’s most-loved football clubs. Having reaped the fruits of glory, whose seeds Ranieri helped sow, it’s no surprise that the Thais are being targeted for heavy criticism. One word that has not been seen in critical commentaries, though, is “ingratitude”.

“The tinker man” was what people called Ranieri before his time at Leicester. The struggling club was generally said to be little more than his pre-retirement sanctuary, but the “has-been” became part of one of the biggest miracles in the world of sport. And at Leicester, he did not do much “tinkering”, with his team of “average” players playing with determination and a crisp counter-attacking style. The team rounded up the 2015-16 season being crowned Premier League champions, creating one of the code’s most glorious fairytales in the process.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30307329

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-27

Typically Thai - curtains behind the eyes. I was fooled by it once, no longer. Individually some everyday Thais can be very pleasant, however those moneyed and in officialdom are of the worst kind. Khon Thai Jai Dee has to be the biggest load of b*ll*cks ever spoken or penned.

Equally arguable on this basis that all football club owners fall into an ingratitude trap whenever they sack a manager other than for disciplinary reasons, I think!

Or even further into this trap when they make a habit of sacking managers purely for the sake of it, like Abramovitch and the Watford owners have IMHO done, for example.

So why is it that only Thai football club owners should be demonised for sacking their managers?

Edited by OJAS

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So why is it that only Thai football club owners should be demonised for sacking their managers?

I don't think it's only because it's a Thai owner OJAS. Most owners get bashed for sacking managers if people think it's unjust (like Man City's owners got flack for getting rid of Pellegrini). Leicester is obviously more in focus in Thailand because the owners are Thai but also many people think Ranieri should have been given longer purely based on his achievements last year.

To me, it's their train set and if they think their manager isn't doing a good job this year, they can make whatever decision they think fit for the future of their club. It's a lot of money to lose dropping down from the premier league and no business should be tied to sentiments of the past.

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't think it's only because it's a Thai owner OJAS. Most owners get bashed for sacking managers if people think it's unjust (like Man City's owners got flack for getting rid of Pellegrini). Leicester is obviously more in focus in Thailand because the owners are Thai but also many people think Ranieri should have been given longer purely based on his achievements last year.

To me, it's their train set and if they think their manager isn't doing a good job this year, they can make whatever decision they think fit for the future of their club. It's a lot of money to lose dropping down from the premier league and no business should be tied to sentiments of the past.

Harsh on Ranieri.....and don't think we didn't spot you trying to turn this into a City thread you rascal.

7 hours ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

Hope to get relegated. Not for the fans or even the players but for those jerks of owners who, in most cases these days, have absolutely no clue how to run a football club (that is to say in Europe of course....).

There are more deserving sides out there.

Leicester have just lost their mojo temporarily.

Edited by smokes

I think it was the right decision and whilst I like Ranieri I am not sure he has the dogfight skills in him. Did he ever get relegated or close? Allardyce don't get those bottom of the barrel jobs for no good reason. The doors been left open to a degree for him at LCFC and his status in leicester is not tarnished either with being let go at this stage.

It's harder to stay at the top than to reach the top. Seems to me the players were learning that lesson this year. I believe a longer term outlook and sticking with CR would have paid benefits next year. The whole 'we gotta win now'  mentality is mindboggling. Stability is the key to long term consistent success.

On 2/27/2017 at 0:18 PM, smokes said:

Harsh on Ranieri.....and don't think we didn't spot you trying to turn this into a City thread you rascal.

Equally (if not more) harsh on Ranieri, I think, when Abramovitch gave him the chop at Chelsea following a more successful season there than this season at Leicester.

On 2/27/2017 at 1:42 PM, GaryAdriaenssens said:

Hope to get relegated. Not for the fans or even the players but for those jerks of owners who, in most cases these days, have absolutely no clue how to run a football club (that is to say in Europe of course....).

Unfortunately only 3 out of the 20 EPL teams can be relegated at the end of a particular season.:sad:

Edited by OJAS

On 28/2/2560 at 11:38 AM, Chicog said:

Well I think that shows where the problem was then.

I think the owners made the right decision (and a brave one at that).

You can't fault the business decision to take out Ranieri - like it or not, Premiership survival is more valuable than loyalty.

I always wince when a board gives unwavering support to a manager - but coming from Thais.................... Ranieri's days were numbered.

The fairy tale is over but it was good while it lasted.

I wonder if Arsenal still want Vardy and Mahrez ?

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

You can't fault the business decision to take out Ranieri - like it or not, Premiership survival is more valuable than loyalty.

I always wince when a board gives unwavering support to a manager - but coming from Thais.................... Ranieri's days were numbered.

The fairy tale is over but it was good while it lasted.

I wonder if Arsenal still want Vardy and Mahrez ?

I wonder if Wenger will be there to want them?