No Uber allowed to pick up passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

32 minutes ago, hobz said:

They overcharge ignorant tourists. Have you never been there? They flock hyenas around me every time.

I don't get it. There are ticket machines where you get taxis at Suvarnanhumi you just take your ticket to the taxi number that is on the ticket. You put your bags in the car and tell him where you are going. Last week it was 271 baht to Rachatewi area plus 50 baht surcharge so 321. 35 minutes and was dropped off at my condos doorstep. I do this every month. At Don Mueang there is a person who writes down the address you give and then you go to taxi. No hyenas ever.  Maybe just learn your simple address in Thai might help but you sound like you have come here more than once and are not an ignorant tourist.  I don't get people who have any trouble at airports and I speak  to friends about it and they don't have trouble. Is Uber cheaper to central BKK than 325 baht?  I don't think so. There is no need to blah blah blah to taxi drivers like I see people do Just say  Sukumvit soi Sip Et or Satorn soi Sip Song etc and get in and go.  He will set the meter  ( give him a few seconds)and  if for any reason he does not say meter ONE time and not loud but I have had them always use meter for the last 6 years. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Snig27 said:

Absolutely true. We take Uber all over the world all the time and talk with countless drivers. I've never had one anywhere who has said they are unhappy. Most love the freedom and the extra cash. For very few is it a full time job.  BKK is not an anomaly at all. There is a self-righteous arrogance in assuming that Uber drivers are stupid or being screwed.  

Yeap.   For those who are non-competitive, actual competition is the bane of their existence.  If it's anything, Uber is unwanted competition.  But to an Uber driver, it's simply free enterprise.   The Uber driver cares no more what the taxi mafia thinks about his business than the taxi mafia cares what the Uber driver thinks about theirs. 

"Kills regular taxi jobs and income."  Like Uber drivers don't have families and dinner tables, too.

There's really not much in the way of anti-Uber argument that can't be turned right around.

I don't get it. There are ticket machines where you get taxis at Suvarnanhumi you just take your ticket to the taxi number that is on the ticket. You put your bags in the car and tell him where you are going. Last week it was 271 baht to Rachatewi area plus 50 baht surcharge so 321. 35 minutes and was dropped off at my condos doorstep. I do this every month. At Don Mueang there is a person who writes down the address you give and then you go to taxi. No hyenas ever.  Maybe just learn your simple address in Thai might help but you sound like you have come here more than once and are not an ignorant tourist.  I don't get people who have any trouble at airports and I speak  to friends about it and they don't have trouble. Is Uber cheaper to central BKK than 325 baht?  I don't think so. There is no need to blah blah blah to taxi drivers like I see people do Just say  Sukumvit soi Sip Et or Satorn soi Sip Song etc and get in and go.  He will set the meter  ( give him a few seconds)and  if for any reason he does not say meter ONE time and not loud but I have had them always use meter for the last 6 years. 

Out come Bangkok taxi lovers who never had a problem in 127 years living in bangkok! Laughable

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Uber is the only practical alternative if you are a business person regularly coming in an out with goods and samples as we do, and a lot od people so. Until the taxis provide clean, safe (seatbelts are a start), English speaking, reliable and fast XL type SUVs (as Uber does) and quickly on the same floor as arrivals then it's not crap at all.

yes the fact that they have seatbelts is enough alone. For me, the best feature is that i know that i don't have to argue and driver wanting more because of traffic jam

46 minutes ago, hobz said:

They overcharge ignorant tourists. Have you never been there? They flock hyenas around me every time.

Like hyenas?  I've flown into BKK at least 50 times since I moved to Bangkok, and never once do I recall being approached by a taxi tout as I walk down to the legal taxi line.  Usually, the line is less than 5 minutes long- especially since the new ticket queue was installed.  I don't recall ever waiting more than 15 minutes (yes- I time it), and never once had a taxi refuse to turn on the meter- though I usually offer up a flat price when I hop in because I don't want a driver operating on that last frayed nerve.  Amazing how a few extra baht changes the mood.

I suspect there are touts on the departure floor where the illegal (but tolerated) taxis wait for a fare back into town, but I can't tell from first hand experience.  The legal taxis work out fine for me.

A lot of fuss over nothing. It's just as well to use the (registered?) skytrain to some downtown station then get whatever service you want from there.

So people need to drag their bags into a train to take them somewhere they don't need to go, just because you don't want to have a safe and easy alternative?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Hard to police. Uber/Grab drivers picking up passengers will look like any locals picking up friends at the airport. When my ride arrives, I always try to greet the driver as if he/she was my friend - that'll make it easier for the driver. The phone stuck on the screen with a map application open? Many drivers do that, what with the advent of mobile broadband connectivity and free map applications like Google. Unless one peers into the vehicle and actually see the Uber/Grab application active, but how many officers would they need if they were to peer into every single vehicle arriving at the departure and arrival areas? AOT's 'code of security' claim is in my opinion bullshit - solve the problems with rouge taxi drivers first. Especially those SUV/MPV taxis that don't use the meter.

I'll try and explain how to get it right (your way) to my friends that don't like to use taxi's. The Thai language pronunciation wouldn't be an issue given they are mostly Thai's that dislike using taxi's since an alternative was introduced

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Hard to police. Uber/Grab drivers picking up passengers will look like any locals picking up friends at the airport. When my ride arrives, I always try to greet the driver as if he/she was my friend - that'll make it easier for the driver. The phone stuck on the screen with a map application open? Many drivers do that, what with the advent of mobile broadband connectivity and free map applications like Google. Unless one peers into the vehicle and actually see the Uber/Grab application active, but how many officers would they need if they were to peer into every single vehicle arriving at the departure and arrival areas? AOT's 'code of security' claim is in my opinion bullshit - solve the problems with rouge taxi drivers first. Especially those SUV/MPV taxis that don't use the meter.

Agreed it would be very difficult to police. The main difference between an Uber driver and when I used to have my own driver collect me at the airport, is that my own driver wouldn't need to get out of the car as because of familiarity he'd just flip the trunk from inside and I'd throw my bag in, slam the lid and jump in the back.

6 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

I'll try and explain how to get it right (your way) to my friends that don't like to use taxi's. The Thai language pronunciation wouldn't be an issue given they are mostly Thai's that dislike using taxi's since an alternative was introduced

Your Thai friends have trouble with taxis at the airport? Maybe they are bar girls speaking Isarn or Lao. What a joke!  

52 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I get wheeled from the plane through immigration at the priority booth, baggage pickup,

Not strictly about Uber but was directed to the priority lane because we were "elderly" eg over 60 - I think it was even marked on the priority lane. Good to remember when there are queues

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

how will they know its an uber, and not samchai picking up his brother in law.

They will use body language and extra sensory perception .

They are very good at this, they can pick out Burmese on a bus at a police stop before they see their ID card.

5 hours ago, louse1953 said:

How do taxis at airport fleece people?

"No meter, 600 baht, good price!"

This is what the driver proposes when you find yourself in the taxi and you have already moved away from the airport and you realise that the meter is not on. Of course, you pay all the highway tolls too.

Your Thai friends have trouble with taxis at the airport? Maybe they are bar girls speaking Isarn or Lao. What a joke!  

Why should bar girls be ripped off? How arrogant. So certain types of people are fine to fleece?

You, deciding how others should or should not get from the airport, or whether they deserve to be ripped off is appalling. Dreadful.

3 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Why should bar girls be ripped off? How arrogant. So certain types of people are fine to fleece?

You, deciding how others should or should not get from the airport, or whether they deserve to be ripped off is appalling. Dreadful.

That's not what I said at all Mr Drama. Read your post before and mine again.  What's in your coffee this fine morning? Never said bar girls should be fleeced at all and the topic is about Taxi/ Uber. 

Another example of the taxi mafia monopolizing "their" right to exist. BS: it's everyone's right to work. If Uber drivers have a license and insurance and their vehicle is safety certified they should be able to exercise free enterprise and make a living. Furthermore, it should be my right to get in any dang vehicle I choose - and not travel with a cheating, scamming mafia cab driver (although most drivers are honest).

Anchorage Alaska citizens/Uber have been going through this same issue and elsewhere. I had an issue with the police chief/transportation director of my Alaska town about related conflicts: I proved I had the legal right to operate; he still refused to obey the law... why? because a two bit taxi driver (me) was making more money than him ... serving the community. It's a twisted, corrupt world folks.

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Actually, I doubt taxi drivers will have any real problems with Isaan, or even Laos. Quite a few of them come from Isaan themselves.

Anyway, I agree with your earlier comment about not having problems with taxis in Suvarnabhumi and BKK, in general. I don't think I enjoy a 100-percent record like you do (I'm assuming you do) when it comes to taxis in BKK, but I have enjoyed largely trouble-free taxi-ing for, say 90 percent of the time. Ten percent of the time it's the iditos who refuse to go where I want to go, or ask for THB 200 for a five-kilometre ride. It's just time of the day or where you are, I guess. Having experienced taxis in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, I'd have to say BKK is a 'taxi-paradise' compared with KUL, despite the 10-percent misgivings. It really is much, much worse in KUL. But that's another story.

As for Grab/Uber, well they do have their use. Like you, I go in and out of Thailand monthly and on two ocassions the past few months, I got myself a  Uber ride, simply because I can't be arsed to stand in the taxi queue that snaked its way back into the terminal! On other occasions, I happen to be at areas that are not served by taxis and calling for a Grab/Uber ride is much more convenient than walking to the main road to get a taxi. Especially on occasions when the weather doesn't agree with you.

"No meter, 600 baht, good price!"

This is what the driver proposes when you find yourself in the taxi and you have already moved away from the airport and you realise that the meter is not on. Of course, you pay all the highway tolls too.

yea, this happened to me so many times in the past. Yes, you can "win" the argument, but at the cost of your sanity. I've got better things to do in the car like catch up on my business rather than argue with a cheat driver. This kind of mental energy is in short supply especially on a business trip.

How the spots of the Leopard change.

The Ministry has said that as long as they are registered they can operate.

They become a Public Service Vehicle the minute they agree to be "for hire"& must have insurance, licenses etc.

They should also  pay income tax on the fare

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Good.

Uber is crap.

Where I live in Bangkok it is Grab Taxi not Uber.

From Swampy I use the meter taxis down on the same floor as the airport train.

I always have a wheelchair when I travel and the person who pushes my wheelchair gets tipped for getting me a meter taxi at the taxi queue.

I get wheeled from the plane through immigration at the priority booth, baggage pickup, to the taxi queue in my wheelchair.

One small tip takes care of it all.

The information is not quiet correct, both Uber and Grab Taxi exist in Bangkok.  Grab taxi uses the existing taxi network and Uber uses private drivers.  I have used both and my preference is for Grab Taxi purely due to the fact they have more vehicles on the ground than Uber.  Since Uber does not cover all areas, at times it might take 15-20 minutes for your ride to arrive whereas with Grab it has always been within 5 minutes.  For the airport taxi, I do use the downstairs system, never been ripped off although the occasional rude driver has been experienced and even at the busiest of times, the allocation system seems to flow OK.  I have never used AOT limo, they are a complete rip off.

Edited by steveyinasia

The information is not quiet correct, both Uber and Grab Taxi exist in Bangkok.  Grab taxi uses the existing taxi network and Uber uses private drivers.  I have used both and my preference is for Grab Taxi purely due to the fact they have more vehicles on the ground than Uber.  Since Uber does not cover all areas, at times it might take 15-20 minutes for your ride to arrive whereas with Grab it has always been within 5 minutes.  For the airport taxi, I do use the downstairs system, never been ripped off although the occasional rude driver has been experienced and even at the busiest of times, the allocation system seems to flow OK.  I have never used AOT limo, they are a complete rip off.

Actually most Uber drivers will also be using the Grab app. (But not the taxi part)

So in that case, a hotel limo service is also not allowed, as that is also paid commercial service. Anyway normally I've not had a problem with Taxi at the airport but it wouldn't be hard to get around this ruling, like most rulings in LoS. 

Hotel limos have the green plates

How the spots of the Leopard change.
The Ministry has said that as long as they are registered they can operate.
They become a Public Service Vehicle the minute they agree to be "for hire"& must have insurance, licenses etc.
They should also  pay income tax on the fare

I wonder what kind of insurance coverage you think the Bangkok taxi has to cover the passenger.

Actually most Uber drivers will also be using the Grab app. (But not the taxi part)

This is called, amazingly enough, GrabCar. For passengers it is integrated into the Grab app.

Works well, cash payment vs. credit card for UBER.

I wonder what kind of insurance coverage you think the Bangkok taxi has to cover the passenger. 

That would be whatever cloth is handy and large enough to cover your corpse.

Edited by mtls2005

This is called, amazingly enough, GrabCar. For passengers it is integrated into the Grab app.

Works well, cash payment vs. credit card for UBER.

Credit card payments also on Grab once registered.
The Grab XL (advance booking only) will get you a Hyundai H1 van. It may get you other vehicles, however I've used the Hyundai van on many occasions, including having the driver go and stand at the airport with a welcome with name sign to meet people and take them to their destination.

Uber driver fined 2,000 baht for taking passengers at Suvarnabhumi airport

17028984_10155084271823637_1603838397_n.

BANGKOK: -- An Uber driver was fined 2,000 baht after he was caught taking two Japanese passengers at restricted area inside Suvarnabhumi airport.

The incident happened on February 22 but was just clarified by the airport director Saroj Duangrat yesterday after a popular tourism website ran the video footage of a  Uber driver ordered to leave the airport area by guards after he was found waiting to pick up two Japanese passengers to Le Meridien Bangok hotel for 300 baht.

The action by the airport was strongly criticised, with most viewers saying Uber taxi service should be allowed at the airport as its service is better and price reasonable.

However airport director Saroj defended the airport guards saying they have performed their right duties while explaining that  Uber driver was parking in restricted areas.

Besides his car is not registered for taxi service but private car which is illegal, he said.

The driver was later fined 2,000 baht by Suvarnabhumi airport police for driving taxi service with car registered as private car.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/uber-driver-fined-2000-baht-taking-passengers-suvarnabhumi-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-27

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The AOT could consider allowing Uber cabs to operate if proper registrations are completed with the Department of Land Transport, which is an issue for the future

So getting registration won't follow the same process for a commercial taxi.

Is this going to be from AOT "What's in your wallet" to get a proper registration?