Video: last tragic moments of European expat on big bike

webfact

Video: last tragic moments of European expat on big bike

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Dash cam footage has emerged of the last tragic moments of the European man on a big bike killed near Suvarnabhumi airport.

Christian Melzer died when he collided with the side rail of an overpass on the King Kaew Road leading in the direction of the airport, Sanook reported.

The clip was uploaded to Facebook by 'Ashf Up' who said that the accident occurred on Friday at 3.30pm (this was not the same as that recorded on the actual footage because the device was faulty).

The poster said that all they were able to do was call the authorities to the scene.

Both Lat Krabang and Bang Kaew police attended with Por Teck Tung foundation medics.

Sanook.com said that the man - whose nationality was not known - had multiple bone fractures and injuries though he was still wearing his helmet when he was found.

His bike continued rider-less for some way along the overpass before toppling over. It was a Yamaha 1200 cc registered in Mahasarakham.

The foreigner who was killed had earlier made online appeals for help because of a medical condition.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-27

WARNING: The video contains graphic content that viewers may find disturbing

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Where's that: "You unsympathetic as$&ole " button when you need it ! emoji35.png

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

Unfortunately humanity or compassion is often absent in the cesspit that some TV expats belong in. Instead it's replaced by a haughty, "i'd never find myself in this position" demeanour which is manifested in comment that is cowardly tapped into the keyboard and posted before crawling off to the next post. :angry:

I had a car accident several years ago in the rain at speed and I bounced off the central barriers a few times before dragging the car to the hard shoulder, a write-off. Shaken, but unscathed. You have a chance in a car, but a motorbike is unforgiving. I can't work out how this happened, did he swerve to avoid something before hitting the barrier? RIP Herr Melzer.

46 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I had a car accident several years ago in the rain at speed and I bounced off the central barriers a few times before dragging the car to the hard shoulder, a write-off. Shaken, but unscathed. You have a chance in a car, but a motorbike is unforgiving. I can't work out how this happened, did he swerve to avoid something before hitting the barrier? RIP Herr Melzer.

I would understand an accident. But drunk driving and driving with a medical condition, or on medications that impairs your driving ability is a deliberate choice, and not an accident.

It is fortunate that he was on a bike and not driving a car, and up on an elevated highway that no other parties became a victim.

RIP Mr Melzer. Once the tire of his bike touched the foot of the wall, it was game over in terms of control.

Dave66: the footage doesn't cover the initial hit to the wall so one can't really know what happened but to me it seems likely that his front tire touched the wall and then the bike made some sudden strong movements and threw him off. I don't think it would be easy holding on to the handlebars under these conditions and the forces pushing him outward are enough in even such a relatively slight bend. Also his left leg surely touched the wall which causes quite some pain I'm sure and also puts force on his body to move over left.

BTW again (like nearly always) the bike identification is completely wrong. It's not 1200cc and not even a Yamaha. It looks like a 400cc Honda CB400, about 20 years old. Not sure why they are obsessed with reporting cc numbers and brand names and then get it in so many cases wrong.

5 hours ago, eisfeld said:

RIP Mr Melzer. Once the tire of his bike touched the foot of the wall, it was game over in terms of control.

Dave66: the footage doesn't cover the initial hit to the wall so one can't really know what happened but to me it seems likely that his front tire touched the wall and then the bike made some sudden strong movements and threw him off. I don't think it would be easy holding on to the handlebars under these conditions and the forces pushing him outward are enough in even such a relatively slight bend. Also his left leg surely touched the wall which causes quite some pain I'm sure and also puts force on his body to move over left.

BTW again (like nearly always) the bike identification is completely wrong. It's not 1200cc and not even a Yamaha. It looks like a 400cc Honda CB400, about 20 years old. Not sure why they are obsessed with reporting cc numbers and brand names and then get it in so many cases wrong.

So you are the expert now?

It was in fact a Yamaha XJR 1200. I knew the guy and I knew the bike.

Edited by Sheryl
civility

Wow. That is horrific. On first view it would seem to me  that he already lost control before he came into the viewpoint of this dashcam. 

But like blueblue says you can see the road fault the first guy avoids, shouldnt be too hard for some onsite RTA investigators to figure this out 

Why are so many people so insensitive? The appeal that I heard about on the facebook page for expat bikers was for advice on a good hospital and treatment ans far as I know, not specifically for money. Come on, loads of people ask similar things on this forum. It is not clear at all if this had anything to do with the accident. Like others have mentioned, he looks unconscious prior to being on cam and maybe he passed out or maybe not.  It's an overpass not an elevated road so motorcycles are allowed there. So many smug heartless posters on TV.  So many with some sort of chip on their shoulder or complex because of other people choosing to ride motorcycles and have a lifestyle they don't choose or cant' have for whatever reason (age, demanding wife, lack of balls etc). I'm referring to not just this but many threads where they attack all motorcyclists as reckless and dangerous. I can just imagine them spitting vinegar and p**S every time a motorcycle overtakes them in traffic etc. If you want to use the argument that motorcycles are dangerous then it is true of cars too and nobody should drive and we should all stick to bicycles and walking. RIP Christian!

Reports in other source say that he got a recommendation for a hospital and probably on the way to that.

I am not a motorbike expert and this is the best picture I could find so far:

(the report with the picture also writes 1200 cc)

Click on pictures so see best size:

%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%

79i98ae5ig7a7e5cijhdi.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
first pic replaced with better one

Anyway this case is another drastic warning: either have the money for treatment (no less than a million) or have insurance.

And his case: he was fighting for 6 months with this problem!

Did he not even have the money for a low cost oneway to Germany where he would have been treated without any question.

(in his case a viable option which is not available to accident victims or the like)

2 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Possible suicide to cover up intent?  Previous cry for help?

RIP...

Ok , here goes, just for the record. In case I should die in a motorcycle accident or any other accident etc, I won't keep you guys guessing. I will make it easy for you and will tell you guys before that I will commit suicide. If I haven't told you beforehand then just presume it was an accident ok, no need to presume this. It truly is pathetic how so many unfortunate deaths are twisted around and discussed in such a way. Truly pathetic!

4 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Unfortunately humanity or compassion is often absent in the cesspit that some TV expats belong in. Instead it's replaced by a haughty, "i'd never find myself in this position" demeanour which is manifested in comment that is cowardly tapped into the keyboard and posted before crawling off to the next post. :angry:

God Bless you Sir.............Fortunately I listen to my home "phone in" Radio Show daily and hear many wonderful stories of man's GENEROSITY to their fellow man....and (for a short time anyway) it restores my faith in the fact that there are many generous lovely people out there with hearts full of compassion and love for their fellow man.

A man once said to me on this very subject......".but Pattaya doesn't attract many of that kind"....Sad...but bordering on the truth.

Edited by dotpoom

11 minutes ago, thaijoe said:

WHERE are these videos? I cant view any of them, dont even show where to click just a picture

The video link at the bottom of the opening post does not work?

For me it does.

Try this link only to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ShisuTheDog/videos/10155100409084851/

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Anyway this case is another drastic warning: either have the money for treatment (no less than a million) or have insurance.

And his case: he was fighting for 6 months with this problem!

Did he not even have the money for a low cost oneway to Germany where he would have been treated without any question.

(in his case a viable option which is not available to accident victims or the like)

I think this is another case of someone having their priorities in the wrong order. 

Too many times you hear of stories of foreigners ending up destitute, extremely sick, or dead because they put selfish wants ahead of their own health and once the situation becomes life threatening they end up begging people for help. Fortunately for them, Thais are extremely empathetic people and they usually will get a few rounds of charity but even the locals can spot a free-loader.

Pitiful is probably the best description for them.

10 minutes ago, tpaul1 said:

Ok , here goes, just for the record. In case I should die in a motorcycle accident or any other accident etc, I won't keep you guys guessing. I will make it easy for you and will tell you guys before that I will commit suicide. If I haven't told you beforehand then just presume it was an accident ok, no need to presume this. It truly is pathetic how so many unfortunate deaths are twisted around and discussed in such a way. Truly pathetic!

I guess you didn't see the question marks!  Having owned a Private Investigation Agency and a Insurance Adjustment Co for 30 years qualifies me as an expert witness in Superior Court.  I specialized in Product Liability investigations for Honda, and Yamaha for 11 years.  We were recommended by the AM best Company for 11 years doing work for over 300 Insurance companies. Most of those product investigations were multi million dollar cases.  What I saw in that video leaves me with questions?  Especially with a prior cry for help!