Letter from Employer

I'm planning to quit my job shortly. I have a non res "O" which has been extended for 6 years based on employment.

I want to finish work before the end of my contract and convert to an extension based on retirement. I'm not sure whether my employer will agree to this or insist I complete the contract.

Two questions:

1.  I understand if my employer agrees that I will need a letter from my employer effectively giving me permission to stop work. Does anyone have a template or example of what this letter should say?

2. If I have to work to the end of my contract, will I have to leave Thailand  (since I assume my non o expires the day my contact finishes) and get another visa to re-enter and then start the retirement extension process? If anyone can fill me in on this process I would be grateful.

Thanks

1. The letter is needed to cancel you current extension of stay. I just needs to state the last day you will be working. That will be the date your current extension (not a visa) will be canceled so that you can apply for new one. 

2. I am certain the contract states you need to submit a notice of intent to resign from your job X (30 days normally) number of days prior to the date you put on the notice. You would  still be able to apply for an extension based upon retirement on the date you put on the letter.

Negita

I have very fresh experience about the same situation. Let me expand on what

Ubonjoe wrote. I assume you have

-a visa (extension) in your passport

-a work permit

1) you will need a letter from your employer stating the last day of employment. Note that this may not be the same as the date on your/their notice of contract termination. In my case, the letter said

that "Mr x... worked with us... from this date... to this date... and his last salary was ..."

2) with this letter, you need to go to the office in your city that handles work permits. On the basis of 1), they will cancel your work permit and keep it, but they will give you a letter that says that your work permit

no. xxxx issued on date ... was cancelled on date ...

3) with this letter from the work permit office, on the same day!, you go to immigration. I stress on the

same day, because they told me that your visa (extension) is automatically terminated on that same day.

At immigration, the first thing you do is cancel the work visa (extension). Then you'll be in line for a regular extension based on retirement. Needless to say, you have to satisfy the requirements such as e.g. money in the bank or proof of income. It will be one hectic day but you should manage.

Edited by arithai12

Looks like I am going to have to stay till the end of the contract.

Can I leave the country on the last day (say go to Penang, Vientiene) get a new visa come back and apply for the retirement extension? In which case what happens to the work permit?

If you ended/completed the contract with your company at anytime and the Thai law said that you must return back your work permit to the authority at the same time. Of course you can apply other kind of visas to return to Thailand, only if you can fulfill the said visa requirements. Cheers and wish that all are clear to you, wish you have a happy journey and all the best in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect