are we entering the era of the digital Berlin Wall ?

Asiantravel

the author of this article describes the experience of boarding a departing flight from Atlanta and certainly sounds alarmed by this new procedure.

Any thoughts?is this soon coming to Asia?

We had already been through boarding pass checks, passport checks, scanners, and pat downs. At the gate, each passenger had already had their tickets scanned and we were all walking on the jet bridge to board. It’s at this point that most people assume that it is all done: finally we can enjoy some sense of normalcy.

This time was different. Halfway down the jetbridge, there was a new layer of security. Two US Marshals, heavily armed and dressed in dystopian-style black regalia, stood next to an upright machine with a glowing green eye. Every passenger, one by one, was told to step on a mat and look into the green scanner. It was scanning our eyes and matching that scan with the passport, which was also scanned (yet again).

https://fee.org/articles/welcome-aboard-but-first-us-marshals-will-scan-your-retina/

56 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

What, a biometrics (retina) scan? It's been all over the world for at least 10 years. Hardly news and hardly shocking.

IIRC my fingerprints were scanned at Swampy last year... But I move around a lot, so it might have been another airport.

I sense that the author is more concerned about the desirability of this kind of Security procedure on citizens leaving their own country rather than for how long it's been used.