Purchasing second hand car with lien on title. Advice needed.

My Wife and I would like to purchase a Ford Ranger from a private seller. The Vehicle is located in Bangkok but has been registered and plated in Phuket. The vehicle has a Lien on it so we'll need to pay off the debt and then obtain the blue book. How exactly can this be completed in a fashion that insures we don't pay off someone else's loan and release the bluebook to them leaving us moneyless and carless? We would prefer to purchase a vehicle in which the Owner holds the Blue Book however the majority of second hand wild trak Ford Rangers are being financed and haven't been paid off. Additionally we are located in Nan Province so after having the book in our name we'll need to register the vehicle in our province. Please if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd appreciate your two cents. Thanks a lot! 
-Isaac

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be rocket science is it?

A car finance is with a car finance company obviously, so you go to that companies offices together with the owner and arrange to pay off the debt in one time, or make another arrangement that they transfer the finance contract to your name

Whoever has a lien on the car - bank or finance company - has the blue book. Vehicle is in their name until the loan is paid off. You must deal with them. After of course agreeing with the present person who has possession of the vehicle how much cash they want, and you take over financing, or pay the remaining note due. If you do everything in front of the official at the bank/finance company should not be an issue. Once payment made they should go with you to DLT for name change. Or provide documents required for you to change to Nan province plates if you wish.

Edited by canthai55

On 3/8/2017 at 5:58 PM, canthai55 said:

. Once payment made they should go with you to DLT for name change. Or provide documents required for you to change to Nan province plates if you wish.

It will take the finance company a week or 2 to have the book updated to the persons name so there will be a wait before you both can go to DLT and transfer book.

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

It will take the finance company a week or 2 to have the book updated to the persons name so there will be a wait before you both can go to DLT and transfer book.

This can actually be done in a day or two. 

50 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

Took me less than a day.

So your finance company sent the book the DLT, had it updated to your name and you received the same day.

Exceptional service. Who is the finance company ?

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So your finance company sent the book the DLT, had it updated to your name and you received the same day.

Exceptional service. Who is the finance company ?

Yup. At DLT takes about 5 min to change the name. BMW Finance. 

• 7 months later...

So how did this all work out?

I'm looking too buy a Yaris from an owner who ha s please through Toyota Finance. The owner says we should both go to the finances office and that I can pay the finance company directly. They thought the blue book might take a month to be changed/processed and then mailed to my home address.

Does tis sound right? If I pay and don't get the blue book, what DO I get? Just a receipt? A temp ownership document of some sort?

13 hours ago, ywamer said:

I'm looking too buy a Yaris from an owner who ha s please through Toyota Finance. The owner says we should both go to the finances office and that I can pay the finance company directly. They thought the blue book might take a month to be changed/processed and then mailed to my home address.

Does tis sound right? If I pay and don't get the blue book, what DO I get? Just a receipt? A temp ownership document of some sort?

My Thai son, in Chiang Mai, is in the same situation - he bought a near new van direct from a well known finance company who had repossessed the vehicle.

My son has a written contract from the finance company stating the details of the vehicle, the monthly payments my son has to pay etc., and it also states that my son will receive the blue book when the payments and other fees are fully completed.

On the day of the last payment (actually all completed many months ahead of the payment schedule on the contract) my son asked for the blue book.

The response of the finance company was that they had to send documents to their head office in Bangkok and my son would receive the blue book within 2 to 3 months. CM office also insisted that there is a government fee involved of 5,000Baht which the customer has to pay.

CM office also claims that the 2 - 3 months wait is because it takes that amount of time for the book to be updated with new name etc., at the government office.

Three months passed last week, son went back to the CM office and asked them to contact their HO and ask what's happening. Still waiting. 

15 hours ago, ywamer said:

finance company will issue book in the sellers name, you then go to DLT and change it to your name.

Rather than payout the finance take over the finance, then when it is paid out the book is issued to you.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

?

This octopus has more than eight legs. Too many unknowns. Repos are always dodgy. Go to a dealer, buy a trade-in with 90 day warranty. Costs more, but less in the long run. Remember, you have no recourse to law here. Courts are for lawyers. 

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

The response of the finance company was that they had to send documents to their head office in Bangkok and my son would receive the blue book within 2 to 3 months. CM office also insisted that there is a government fee involved of 5,000Baht which the customer has to pay.

CM office also claims that the 2 - 3 months wait is because it takes that amount of time for the book to be updated with new name etc., at the government office.

I think that's bullshit, changing the name takes 30 minutes at the DLT (Another 10 minutes and a few days in between if the province has to be changed first). It does of course cost a few bahtto change the name (and province). But for a motorbike it costs a few hundred baht, 5000 baht sounds too expensive, make sure they show you the receipts from the DLT before you pay ;)