Does anyone know of an easy way to cancel a direct debit with Krung Thai bank. I have been onto the KTB netbank service online however it doesn't give me the option. I spoke to KTB customer service, someone who barely spoke English, told me that they needed to speak to the company with whom the direct debit is set-up with before they cancelled it. This didn't make sense to me as it seems they have to ask permission from the company before they cancel it. I tried to remain calm with the advisor but wasn't really getting anywhere as he said I have to "write a letter" to cancel it. Can anyone advise on this? Thanks

I have no particular knowledge of this topic re Thailand. As on most questions of this type, the law is whatever happens in front of you, at least in the first instance. If the guy behind the counter  makes some request that to you seems nonsensical, comply with it, if there is little cost to you. It is cheaper than hiring a lawyer. I doubt that they will cancel a direct debit solely on the basis of a verbal or E-mailed request. They probably want something with your signature on it. If they don't have a form for this, that means a letter.

2 minutes ago, allane said:

If the guy behind the counter  makes some request that to you seems nonsensical, comply with it, if there is little cost to you.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Guy behind counter: "Do a dance for me for and it won't cost you anything"

Me: "Okay" *shimmies in front of counter*

Anyone in Thailand, preferably with a KTB bank account and isn;t a troll/idiot feel free to reply. Thx!

1 hour ago, farang1979 said:

That makes absolutely no sense.

Guy behind counter: "Do a dance for me for and it won't cost you anything"

Me: "Okay" *shimmies in front of counter*

Anyone in Thailand, preferably with a KTB bank account and isn;t a troll/idiot feel free to reply. Thx!

You are the idiot here. Why would they cancel a card via a phone call, it could be anyone. Writing a letter with a signature makes perfectly sense. BTW learn Thai when you live here.

Edited by FritsSikkink

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are the idiot here. Why would they cancel a card via a phone call, it could be anyone. Writing a letter with a signature makes perfectly sense. BTW learn Thai when you live here.

You've commented on my posts before in the same trollish way.

If you read my post it doesn't mention a card it talks about a direct debit which is entirely different.  Something which I would have thought was easy to cancel. A letter in 2017 to cancel a direct debit when there are things like electronic two-step authentication and sophisticated security verification is, forgive me for saying, archaic.

And to answer another idiotic, presumptious point on your post, I do speak Thai however the level of my Thai doesn't cover cancelling a direct debit. KTB bank with a very large Thai and foreign customer group should have some English speaking advisors. Move along troll. :spamsign::angry:

Edited by farang1979

I had problems with KTB in the past.

I used their customer phone line to no avail. It was useless.

You must go into to the branch and do it. For KTB each branch has a lot more autonomy than you would expect in a Western bank. Shenanigans are permitted and bad service is tolerated (by Head Office) provided the branch sorts out any consequent problems.

Bottom line. Go into the branch, don't leave until it is sorted, don't be fobbed off. Make sure you speak to somebody senior enough to sort it.

Edited by Briggsy

Just now, Briggsy said:

I had problems with KTB in the past.

I used their customer phone line to no avail. It was useless.

You must go into to the branch and do it. For KTB each branch has a lot more autonomy than you would expect in a Western bank. Shenanigans are permitted and bad service is tolerated provided the branch sorts out any consequent problems.

Bottom line. Go into the branch, don't leave until it is sorted, don't be fobbed off.

Finally someone who can actually help.

Thanks Briggsy, I never like to take the line "It's not like this in the West" but it just seemed ludicrous to suggest I write in to cancel a DD on my account, like it was the 1980s or something. I'll pop into a branch and sort it out. Thanks alot for the help.

4 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

Thanks Briggsy, I never like to take the line "It's not like this in the West" but it just seemed ludicrous to suggest I write in to cancel a DD on my account, like it was the 1980s or something. I'll pop into a branch and sort it out. Thanks alot for the help.

"A branch" may possibly tell you you have to go to the branch where the account is held.

Think of each branch as a mini-bank in itself and the other branches (mini-banks) cannot interfere in its business. So, some bank business can only be achieved at the specific account branch.

In addition, KTB is a government bank. Customer convenience lags way behind private banks such as Bangkok Bank et al.

2 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Yes, go to the branch where you have to sign some papers. It is like writing a letter but a bit different.

Maybe call the bank manager a troll too while you are at it. 

I spoke to KTB customer service, someone who barely spoke English, told me that they needed to speak to the company with whom the direct debit is set-up with before they cancelled it. 

I expect the the KTB rep was saying was for you to first cancel the charge/debit with the company that sends it to the bank for payment.

Just a note:

It is the same with Direct Debit in the UK.

You have to get 'permission' from the business you set up the Direct Debit with.

One of the reasons I never set one up with my UK bank.

Mind you, that was a few years ago when I was moving to Thailand and on the advice of my bank manager.

Things may have improved since then, but not in Thailand!!

Edited by Ginkas
Additional information

Just a note:
It is the same with Direct Debit in the UK.
You have to get 'permission' from the business you set up the Direct Debit with.
One of the reasons I never set one up with my UK bank.

Mind you, that was a few years ago when I was moving to Thailand and on the advice of my bank manager.
Things may have improved since then, but not in Thailand!!

Must depend on who you bank with as I was able to cancel my direct debits in the UK online in seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Even though a person can many times cancel a Direct Debit directly with the bank you have it setup with, some banks want  (or prefer) you to first contact the company that generates the bill/direct debit each month in order to minimize billing problems.  

Like you contact your bank directly to cancel a direct debit from a company but you never contact the company....you do that a shortly before the normal monthly direct bill arrives for payment....it arrives before the bank has had enough time to cancel and notify the company of direct debit cancellation....so the direct debit bill still get paid for that money.  You now get pissed because the direct debit still occurred when you have already cancelled it (or thought it was cancelled).  You complain to the bank.

Or the bank cancels the direct debit authorization immediately but the company don't get notice for days or weeks....and in the interim they still submitted the Direct Debit bill for payment which gets rejected.  They complain to the bank.  The company finds out what occurred and wish you had contacted them first to cancel the Direct Debit with them so they could instead bill you directly.

Many banks are just trying to prevent possible Direct Debit cancellation problems/complaints from the customer and/or billing company.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 4:58 PM, farang1979 said:

Another KTB question. What's the most you can withdraw in any one day? I've only ever withdrawn 40,000 on one day. Could I withdraw more?

My KTB ATM card has a daily limit of 150,000 baht. But I think it is 150,000 baht withdrawn in an ATM and an additional 150,000 baht for transactions (purchasing of goods), at least the clerk (who gave me the card) mentioned something about, if I needed to buy something more expensive than 150,000, I could withdraw another 150,000 baht in cash.

This limit did not seem to be anything I could change (as opposed to the transfer limit for netbank, which I got raised to 5,000,000 baht).

And just for the records, if you go to a branch, there is no limit on how much you can withdraw.

14 hours ago, lkn said:

My KTB ATM card has a daily limit of 150,000 baht. But I think it is 150,000 baht withdrawn in an ATM and an additional 150,000 baht for transactions (purchasing of goods), at least the clerk (who gave me the card) mentioned something about, if I needed to buy something more expensive than 150,000, I could withdraw another 150,000 baht in cash.

This limit did not seem to be anything I could change (as opposed to the transfer limit for netbank, which I got raised to 5,000,000 baht).

And just for the records, if you go to a branch, there is no limit on how much you can withdraw.

ikn, thanks for this. Could you tell me, do you have a regular ATM card? Or do you know the name of it? 

I guess my question or back to my question is, I think that different cards have different withdrawal values, so just wanted to know if your 150k daily limit was because of a particular type of card. Thx

Edited by farang1979

2 hours ago, farang1979 said:

ikn, thanks for this. Could you tell me, do you have a regular ATM card? Or do you know the name of it? 

It’s the standard (cheapest) card offered.It says “KTB Convenience Card” on the front.

Another KTB related question. 

My KTB card has been cancelled and I need to order another one according to KTB customer services. I forgot to ask them if I need to do this at the branch I opened the account at or if I can to any branch to do this.

Can anyone advise me?