Detained Japanese man 'bought animals from Chatuchak'

webfact

Detained Japanese man 'bought animals from Chatuchak'
By The Nation

d4645eb3b51f8d7fced09a592dbb6c91-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- A 57-year-old Japanese man, who was arrested at Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport on Monday night for allegedly attempting to smuggle wildlife animals back to his home country, claimed he had bought the animals from the Chatuchak Weekend Market on Sunday for a total of 50,000 yen or Bt15,000 to raise as pets in Japan.

The suspect, identified as Kazushi Yamamoto, is currently being detained at the airport and representatives of the Japanese Embassy in Thailand visited him on Tuesday morning to provide assistance.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30307485

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-28

HAHA..... may someone invite the officers to just have a 10 minutes walk to that place which is selling these "illegal" wildlife animals? If they have to arrest this japanese men then just go to Chatuchak and arrest the hundreds of shop owners who are selling them. 

Edited by SoFarAndNear

15 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

HAHA..... may someone invite the officers to just have a 10 minutes walk to that place which is selling these "illegal" wildlife animals? If they have to arrest this japanese men then just go to Chatuchak and arrest the hundreds of shop owners who are selling them. 

No point in the officers going back to Chatuchak to ping the shop owners as they are already covered by and have paid their monthly anti-arrest insurance installments.

20 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

I have been there many times but never saw otters, hawks  or owls for sale. Plenty of other birds, snakes, dogs, fish, lizzards.

Guess they keep them elsewhere untill asked for. Very sad, i love to see them in the wild, not in a cage.

4 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

No point in the officers going back to Chatuchak to ping the shop owners as they are already covered by and have paid their monthly anti-arrest insurance installments.

Of course not, they wait untill it's in the international newspapers and after the WWF writes bad things about thailand they might take some action for show..

Just like they always do when being blamed for selling copy copy brandname stuff.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

How was he expecting to get away with having 12 otters, five owls and three hawks in his bag?  What a completely crazy idea.

Well if only one survives he still makes profit back in Japan.....

Guess he didn't know that they have scanners for ALL LUGGAGE these days at Swampy.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Guess he didn't know that they have scanners for ALL LUGGAGE these days at Swampy.

Should instead smuggle gold bullions up in his butt like an Indian...

You can buy anything you want in JJ and BKK if you just know where to look/ask... I have been offered to buy lions, tigers, bears and other wildlife (both live and dead animals) when scanning shops for ivory (still legal to buy and sell in Thailand!).

2 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

You can buy anything you want in JJ and BKK if you just know where to look/ask... I have been offered to buy lions, tigers, bears and other wildlife (both live and dead animals) when scanning shops for ivory (still legal to buy and sell in Thailand!).

I agree, but after this happened they won't sell things like that if asked for i guess....they're not that stupid.

Just now, fruitman said:

I have been there many times but never saw otters, hawks  or owls for sale. Plenty of other birds, snakes, dogs, fish, lizzards.

Guess they keep them elsewhere untill asked for. Very sad, i love to see them in the wild, not in a cage.

Go into the air conditioned shops that have things like tortoises in front of them, many of them have the more unusual animals inside.

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Don't they have scanners at every international airport? And doesn't the luggage hold get freezing cold on the flight anyway?  They would probably have all died.

14 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

What do you want ivory for?

19 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Go into the air conditioned shops that have things like tortoises in front of them, many of them have the more unusual animals inside.

Oh i see, it makes me sad to see those wild animals in cages so i never went inside. 

I've seen wild owls here in BKK a few times, also a huge one...if there were more big tree's i bet there would appear more of those.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What do you want ivory for?

I have Thai friends that really LOVE ivory (amulets and necklaces) and if I can find some cheap in BKK then I can make a few Baht extra here out in the province while I'm also keep my friends happy. It also goes the other way around, sometimes you can find some cheap things here out in the provinces that you can sell for a good profit in BKK.
I have bought amulets for 2-300 Baht here in the north and then sold them for 20-30,000 at Prantip Plaza, another example is that I bought 35 amulets for 4,000 Baht in one province and then I went to the home town of the monk that once made them and sold the lot for almost 40,000 Baht. 
I know that it's not for most people here but if you can make a few Baht extra legally(!) then why not do it?! Just look at the Thai prisons that are harboring more than 1 foreigner that made his/her extra money from illegal trades like drugs and racketeering. 

2 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

I have Thai friends that really LOVE ivory (amulets and necklaces) and if I can find some cheap in BKK then I can make a few Baht extra here out in the province while I'm also keep my friends happy. It also goes the other way around, sometimes you can find some cheap things here out in the provinces that you can sell for a good profit in BKK.
I have bought amulets for 2-300 Baht here in the north and then sold them for 20-30,000 at Prantip Plaza, another example is that I bought 35 amulets for 4,000 Baht in one province and then I went to the home town of the monk that once made them and sold the lot for almost 40,000 Baht. 
I know that it's not for most people here but if you can make a few Baht extra legally(!) then why not do it?! Just look at the Thai prisons that are harboring more than 1 foreigner that made his/her extra money from illegal trades like drugs and racketeering. 

I don't follow, why should I look at foreigners in prison when asking you why you want ivory?  Was it a hint as to just how stuck you have been for ideas?

1 hour ago, Kasset Tak said:

So I take it you buy the ivory with all paperwork in order & it's all legally registered by law, to prove that it all came from domesticated Asian elephants? Because, if not, what you're doing is illegal.

3 hours ago, SoFarAndNear said:

After advanced notice of their arrival, there wouldn't be a seller to be found. The police would then conclude there is nothing going on there and the Japanese man is a liar.