Beginners investment advice please

Hi all, I need some advice because I have no clue.

I recently moved to Thailand and landed a job which is letting me to save around $3000 USD/month.

What can I do about investing this money?  What are my options?  I have a Thai and an Australian bank account.

I realise this isn't a large sum of money by any means but I don't know what to do with it.  I'd rather not just leave it sitting in the bank accumulating a tiny amount of interest each month.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thankyou.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't presume to offer you advice on where to invest in Thailand but would suggest you look very carefully at any advice given since financial advice here is very poorly regulated and scammers abound. Any offers of garaunteed returns should be scrutinised carefully as there is nearly always a catch.

I am a big fan of Warren Buffet, read as much as you can about this man

He believes very strongly in ETFs in fact he is close to winning a US1.0M bet that over a ten year span a simple ETF will outperform even the most expensively managed funds

As a retired Chartered Accountant who has had a good run over the last six years and averaged over 16% per annum, I would totally agree with Buffet, maybe a Vanguard or Ishares tracker of the Russell 2000 or S& P index, both low cost management

A low cost broker like Interactive Brokers also keeps costs low and leaves under your control when to sell, you can even press just one button and immediately cash out subject to markets being available to trade which is a longer period than just the stock exchange opening hours

Buffet also directs when he dies that is how his estate will be managed for the benefit of his widow

Open an International account with Charles Schwab. You'll receive an ATM card that will allow you to pull cash from any ATM that is 100% reimbursed for any fees. 

A number of ways to feed your money into that account. Possibly have your check deposited there. 

Schwab has many very low cost funds of their own. I would recommend you look at some models of various investment plans. Use Skype to call them and you can speak to a representative who can suggest ways to invest in low cost ETFs to meet your investment goals.

You will still have to file your American taxes. If you don't have an IRA I would open one up. 

If you have specific questions you can PM me. 

1 hour ago, al007 said:

He believes very strongly in ETFs in fact he is close to winning a US1.0M bet that over a ten year span a simple ETF will outperform even the most expensively managed funds

As a retired Chartered Accountant who has had a good run over the last six years and averaged over 16% per annum, I would totally agree with Buffet, maybe a Vanguard or Ishares tracker of the Russell 2000 or S& P index, both low cost management

A low cost broker like Interactive Brokers also keeps costs low and leaves under your control when to sell, you can even press just one button and immediately cash out subject to markets being available to trade which is a longer period than just the stock exchange opening hours

Buffet also directs when he dies that is how his estate will be managed for the benefit of his widow

Sound advice here. I admire Buffet myself but know little about the finincial world of investing. Would have been nice if it was explained what an ETF was. I thought Buffet was giving away all his money?

Himself and Gates seem to do great charity work between them.

57 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Open an International account with Charles Schwab. You'll receive an ATM card that will allow you to pull cash from any ATM that is 100% reimbursed for any fees. 

A number of ways to feed your money into that account. Possibly have your check deposited there. 

Schwab has many very low cost funds of their own. I would recommend you look at some models of various investment plans. Use Skype to call them and you can speak to a representative who can suggest ways to invest in low cost ETFs to meet your investment goals.

You will still have to file your American taxes. If you don't have an IRA I would open one up. 

I assumed he was Australian.

I did the stock thing during the tech boom. Won some lost some. The latest I have read is the pot grow ops in Canada is going gang busters. Some with a billion evaluation. Could be the next big thing besides solar. If you have the stomach for it ok. Canada is expected to legalise pot for rec use next year. Right now it's medical use.

Buy income bearing shares with track records of always paying out. RDSB has not cut its dividend since WW2 and pays quarterly. Get an online trading account, such a Fidelity and stick to safe boring income bearing shares and when they pay out either spend the income or reinvest. Could end up one day being a nice tidy income bearing pension pot for your retirement.

You should be getting recommendations from competent, licensed, investment consultants with a minimum of 10 years experience.

After getting the recommendations, do your own research and verify with one or more additional competent, licensed investment sources.

Be selective as some brokers will sell you a bad investment that pays a high commission.

Never put all your eggs in one basket!

Keep a good supply of emergency cash on hand.

Remember the old saying, "if you can't touch it, you probably don't own it!"

Never buy high in bubbles.

Many have done well investing in storable food and will do even better during hyperinflation.

Storable, emergency food will continue to double and triple in value.

With all the crises around the world storable food can be sold on line, and even be used to barter with.  You will never go hungry!

Good luck....

25 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

I did the stock thing during the tech boom. Won some lost some. The latest I have read is the pot grow ops in Canada is going gang busters. Some with a billion evaluation. Could be the next big thing besides solar. If you have the stomach for it ok. Canada is expected to legalise pot for rec use next year. Right now it's medical use.

Dot com was a speculative dangerous time where big money was won and lost.

2 hours ago, al007 said:

I COULDNT AGREE MORE  EXCELLENT ADVICE

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/investing/retirement_and_planning/how_to_invest/investing_basics/plan_your_mix

USE ABOVE LINK HELP DECIDE WHAT INDEX FUNDS TO BUY

you can buy gold, everywhere in Thailand, physical gold never paper gold !

No coins, no jewellery, only bars weight 1, 10, or 50 bath

in thailand very easy, no tax etc., at international spot price

keep at home or in your thai bank's safe

can resell to where you bought, but only in Thailand, whenever you want, very small commission

but no interest unlike shares or bonds

You also can buy in Singapour (the very only good place to do it) , for international use, easily through internet:

no tax, storage in your only name (small fee), pictures of your gold, insurance

I think gold will raise very quickly, especially with Trump

Buy also some petrol, if you have spare money. Even when new energies will be found,

petrol will always be needed to produce plastics, chemicals etc. & resources will soon trie out !

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Sound advice here. I admire Buffet myself but know little about the finincial world of investing. Would have been nice if it was explained what an ETF was. I thought Buffet was giving away all his money?

Himself and Gates seem to do great charity work between them.

an etf is a mutual fund that trades like a stock  ETF  = EXCHANGE TRADED FUND... They offer some that track the performance of many indexes,, and investing in index etf will usually out perform 90% of broker assisted trading accounts  with much less fees involved

3 minutes ago, Michael Schrepfer said:

you can buy gold, everywhere in Thailand, physical gold never paper gold !

No coins, no jewellery, only bars weight 1, 10, or 50 bath

in thailand very easy, no tax etc., at international spot price

keep at home or in your thai bank's safe

can resell to where you bought, but only in Thailand, whenever you want, very small commission

but no interest unlike shares or bonds

You also can buy in Singapour (the very only good place to do it) , for international use, easily through internet:

no tax, storage in your only name (small fee), pictures of your gold, insurance

I think gold will raise very quickly, especially with Trump

Buy also some petrol, if you have spare money. Even when new energies will be found,

petrol will always be needed to produce plastics, chemicals etc. & resources will soon trie out !

Gold. ..that is why Thais buy it. They can always turn it in for cash.

1 minute ago, Beats56 said:

Gold. ..that is why Thais buy it. They can always turn it in for cash.

Oil.is now old school now with electric cars solar roof panels.  Just look what Tesla is doing. Yes they will need it for plastics but they can use bio corn for example to produce them.

Invest with any of the well known Bangkok "financial experts" if you have the same experience I have had you will have very little money left and no worries! Apart from being skint again off course!

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

Schwab allows you to take a mobile pic of a check and deposit it that way.  I have been with them 20 years since early retirement.  Love the ATM free transactions worldwide.  Investing in ETF avoids the larger fees charged by mutual funds, $8 vs $75.  I assume poster is young, so would suggest 40% S&P 500 ETF such as SWPPX by Schwab or VOO by Vanguard,  20% small stock ETF such as VIOO by Vanguard which is a bit better than the Schwab SCHA fund, and to follow the strong dividend advice of another poster, 40% Vanguard's VIG or if more risk is ok their VYM which are strong dividend paying companies that are low risk.

Schwab allows you to take a mobile pic of a check and deposit it that way.  I have been with them 20 years since early retirement.  Love the ATM free transactions worldwide.  Investing in ETF avoids the larger fees charged by mutual funds, $8 vs $75.  I assume poster is young, so would suggest 40% S&P 500 ETF such as SWPPX by Schwab or VOO by Vanguard,  20% small stock ETF such as VIOO by Vanguard which is a bit better than the Schwab SCHA fund, and to follow the strong dividend advice of another poster, 40% Vanguard's VIG or if more risk is ok their VYM which are strong dividend paying companies that are low risk.

You would advise someone who does not appear to be a US citizen to invest all his money in US domestic stock?

2 hours ago, Orac said:

You would advise someone who does not appear to be a US citizen to invest all his money in US domestic stock?

Well every one to their own preference, not where you live now , but more importantly where you plan to live in retirement

I am UK citizen, retired Chartered Accountant and know only a little, BUT every day keep learning, I manage my own money and do not pay others to loose for me

I am retired in Thailand

I am invested 100% in US equities and EFFs , this could change at any time and I can always cash out at 2 mins notice if markets open

My pension is 100% in Us equities

I missed the drop in sterling when brexit came along

I have averaged over 16% for the last 5 yrs

So far so good

Thank you God for your guidance

If the OP is young, buy property. They don't make any more of it. Only buy in a country with 100% ownership.

Getting older, a mix of cash, shares, precious metals. I recommend investigating peer-to-peer lending websites. Much better interest rates than the big banks.

Instead of leaving your money sitting in your Australian Bank Account accumulating small Interest payments, buy shares in this bank. Most banks pay Dividends and although they are slow and boring, most are also dependable and safe. They will have their ups and downs depending on the economy, but over time they do quite well.

Of course you may want to seek something more exciting and high risk. Sometimes you win, but most times you lose to. Even if you get what you think is good financial advice consider this. If the guy giving you this advice knows so much about the Stock Market, then why is he sitting at a desk trying to sell you shares instead of sitting on his Yacht?

For me leaving my money in Thailand is too risky. Rules could change any day and you may find yourself where you cannot export the money you saved here one day.  You staying in Thailand is also dependent on your current job and work permit, which you could also lose any day and have a little over a week to get out of town. But you will always be able to go back to Australia.

2 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

If the guy giving you this advice knows so much about the Stock Market, then why is he sitting at a desk trying to sell you shares instead of sitting on his Yacht?

I enjoy and like this comment, my friends used to say to me if your stockbroker is so good why is he still working

Well I retired at 49 and did my own thing,( lived on my own 60ft yacht, twin engines twin generators stabilisers etc etc etc) on the markets despite a couple of exceedingly expensive divorces I am still here today and quietly make money on the markets

As my wife said tonight at dinner,  despite my two cancers maybe God has chosen to leave me here for a while as maybe I am even too difficult for him to deal with

Be kind be loving be honest and love thy fellows and maybe you be OK

3 hours ago, Orac said:

Yup. Not all but most of his money. I invest in some world ETF accounts. ETW for instance. Invests in world wide companies and through writing option calls produces a 10.7% yearly return (paid monthly).  

Anyone can open a Charles Schwab International account. Picking one of their low cost broad market ETF is an excellent safe investment. SCHB invests in 2500 different stocks based on a broad choice of American companies, yields 2% with an excellent chance of growth. I would expect 12% over the next year. 

Never invest in gold. It's pure speculation and should never be thought of as an investment. Anyone telling you to buy gold doesn't know what they're talking about. 

7 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Thai Shares seems worth a look at if your market orientated. I am of the "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks" school thus I stay with my brokerage in the west. 

Me too!

Investing is always a gamble and I am not happy to gamble.

To gamble you need to know the rules in exacting detail so a long period of study will be needed if you are to avoid shocks and losses.

Thus it can be stressful and and also rewarding some times, just make sure that it doesn't take over your life.....

Henricus gave you the best advice, never bet/gamble Invest more than you can afford to lose.

I have known a few burned out brokers in the UK over the years.

It's an easy trap to fall into!

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, laislica said:

Me too!

Investing is always a gamble and I am not happy to gamble.

To gamble you need to know the rules in exacting detail so a long period of study will be needed if you are to avoid shocks and losses.

Thus it can be stressful and and also rewarding some times, just make sure that it doesn't take over your life.....

Henricus gave you the best advice, never bet/gamble Invest more than you can afford to lose.

I have known a few burned out brokers in the UK over the years.

It's an easy trap to fall into!

Good luck.

A very good post, 

however investing is not for the feint hearted

it is I would suggest NOT for those who are not well financially trained and I consider most financial advisers are very dangerous and not trained

i am a mere retired FCA with too many years experience like over 50. with luck and Gods guidance I can do Ok

BUT be wary it all comes with risks sometime referred to as the sleep factor, ie what you can sleep with, and I have slept with many bad ones !! also some very beautiful and sexy ones

And yes I have seen many brokers go bust and even more punters loose all

As said earlier read up on Warren Buffet and maybe yoy stay out of trouble, or buy gold and hide it and it gets stolen 

But with care and commonsense, and not being greedy you can do well

Nothing ventured nothing gained, leave the money under the mattress it will either get stolen,eroded, or the government cancel the notes

Difficult choice

Archived