Phu Nam Ron, still open? Any changes in last 6 months?

I did the run there in december, it was 960 baht,.

There was a story in the press about the border there being closed a couple of weeks ago due to possible clashes with Burmese insurgents, dont know if this happened or if now open.

1 minute ago, jobounce said:

There was a story in the press about the border there being closed a couple of weeks ago due to possible clashes with Burmese insurgents, dont know if this happened or if now open.

That was at a different crossing that only Thais and Myanmar citizens can use.

A far as I know it is open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That was at a different crossing that only Thais and Myanmar citizens can use.

A far as I know it is open.

Yes that was the Three Pagodas Pass border and it was only closed for 1 day. This despite the fact that 40 Thais were held hostage. If 40 westerners had been held hostage near a legal border crossing, the Burmese would probably close the crossing in question to foreigners for weeks, if not months.

I was there on Sunday same as it has been for the past several years. In fact if you want to side step the Burmese travel guys and get your own lift over to Htee Kee the whole operation will cost you about 550 baht, as long you have a B, O or equivalent visa. There is nothing in Htee Kee, there really isnt even a Htee Kee for those who haven't been but if you go to Dawie it is a beautiful unspoiled place well worth the time and effort. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dictater said:

I was there on Sunday same as it has been for the past several years. In fact if you want to side step the Burmese travel guys and get your own lift over to Htee Kee the whole operation will cost you about 550 baht, as long you have a B, O or equivalent visa. There is nothing in Htee Kee, there really isnt even a Htee Kee for those who haven't been but if you go to Dawie it is a beautiful unspoiled place well worth the time and effort. 

Hello,

What do you mean, can we drive across the border ?

Where is Dawie, how to go and can we sleep there ?

How far can we go in Myanmar by this border and how to go ?

Thank you.

Edited by abab

5 hours ago, abab said:

Hello,

What do you mean, can we drive across the border ?

Where is Dawie, how to go and can we sleep there ?

How far can we go in Myanmar by this border and how to go ?

Thank you.

I've been to Dawei but went the long way round from Mae Sot via Myawady and Mawlamyine and Ye to Dawei by road. Went with car and driver, which might be a bit pricey $$$ for those on a budget, but is the best way to go otherwise it will take ages by bus (or train). There are also flights from Yangon, Myeik and Kawthoung but they are also expensive, especially for foreigners since a dual pricing regimen is still in place in Myanmar for domestic flights.

Plenty of accommodation in Dawei nowadays, though only around 5-6 hotels can be booked online (try Agoda), including one place at nearby Maungmagan beach, 20km or a 30 minute drive directly west of the city.

Dawei is compact and relaxed, with freshly paved streets, a lively market and nice colonial architecture.

If you enter at Phu Nam Ron/Htee Khee, you may proceed to anywhere in the country that is not restricted, just like at the other 3 Thai-Myanmar overland crossings.

Entries by car are allowed only as far as Htee Khee. For travel deeper inside the country in your own vehicle, either you need a local (usually a Karen/Kayin who has some local influence) to vouch for your safety or more likely in the case of ordinary farang, you need to go on a pre-arranged caravan tour with mandatory government and travel agency guides. Although you could travel by yourself with just one vehicle, the majority of persons entering Myanmar by car travel in groups to reduce the costs.

By public transport, there are plenty of minivans traveling the 140km stretch between Dawei and the border; they usually leave when full. For greater privacy/to leave faster you can probably charter a vehicle. Htee Khee is one of two gateways to southern Myanmar, you will need a full embassy issued visa to enter (e-visas not accepted for entry, but are OK for exit after having entered elsewhere).

• Like 1

Actually if you have a B, O or proper visa, one year - reentry you can just go to Phu Nam Ron and get a border pass with no visa, you leave your passport at immigration, they print you a pass that's good for up to 30 days, but only for Dawei area. I've done this four times, makes it very easy if you want to go and return through Htee Kee, currently working on ironing out taking my own motorcycle across, probably need to work with a Burmese company. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dictater said:

Actually if you have a B, O or proper visa, one year - reentry you can just go to Phu Nam Ron and get a border pass with no visa, you leave your passport at immigration, they print you a pass that's good for up to 30 days, but only for Dawei area. I've done this four times, makes it very easy if you want to go and return through Htee Kee, currently working on ironing out taking my own motorcycle across, probably need to work with a Burmese company. 

Hello, thank you !

So I can go to DAWEI without a  Myanmar visa ? Just border pass that I pay 500 thb ?

And how to go from the Thai border to Dawei ? Is it nice there ?

Thank you again.

• 9 months later...

Is there anything to see in Ban Pu Nam Ron? Judging by the name, there should be a hot spring, something I'm very interested in, but I couldn't find anything on google.

Planning to travel Yangon - Moulmein - Dawei - Htee Kee - Phunamron - Kanachanburi. evisa for Myanmar, METV for Thailand.

16 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Is there anything to see in Ban Pu Nam Ron? Judging by the name, there should be a hot spring, something I'm very interested in, but I couldn't find anything on google.

Planning to travel Yangon - Moulmein - Dawei - Htee Kee - Phunamron - Kanachanburi. evisa for Myanmar, METV for Thailand.

It's a dump only good for a quick border hop if you live west of Bangkok.

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

It's a dump only good for a quick border hop if you live west of Bangkok.

Given the VOA rip-off that Cambodian officials are now up to at places like Ban Laem, it may become more popular for many with Thai ME Visas, who don't reside in Bangkok. 

Travel-time from the Pattaya area looks about the same, plus no hassle/haggling from Myanmar border-officials for a same-day in/out. 

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Given the VOA rip-off that Cambodian officials are now up to at places like Ban Laem, it may become more popular for many with Thai ME Visas, who don't reside in Bangkok. 

Travel-time from the Pattaya area looks about the same, plus no hassle/haggling from Myanmar border-officials for a same-day in/out. 

There is that!

I live in Kanchanaburi so very convenient and hopefully the ambience of the place will improve when the International crossing facilities are finally upgraded but that will be many years....work progresses at a crawl.