best or worst airline that flys in or out of thailand

yogavnture

Air Asia for was the worst.
A flight from bkk to Chiangmai Mai, and they got the cabin pressure wrong.
The most excruciating ear pain I've experienced for 40 mins.

I guess you pay low fare ticket and get only a bus ride

Fly with them often. Not one issue. Suggest your one time bad experience isn't the norm.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA and Emirates are pretty good in my opinion, also had a pleasant experience with EVA recently.

Worst ?? , not really got a worst airline, find the rest who I've flown with similar (KLM, Air France , Turkish etc)

I guess if you have had a bad experience, as some posters have, then it can put you off them for life.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

Best experiences in and out of Thailand: Emirates, Cathay

Worst: Oman Air, Thai, Qantas (to be fair, the Qantas flight was a long time ago, maybe better now)

So-so: Etihad, Qatar, Air France, Turkish, KLM

For UK - BKK either way, I like EVA as mentioned by a couple of people already, direct and price competitive good inflight service.

Occasionally use Thai Air if the price is similar to EVA no complaints

Like a previous poster not sure why Oman Air gets such bad press, I quite enjoy the stopover being bussed to the terminal, less people traffic through security, and a casual 10 minute stroll will get you to your departure gate.

I fight shy of Emirates for no other reason than lately I nearly missed my flight change because of a complex crossing of the airport to my departure gate. Made me appreciate Oman Air all the more.

Never too bothered about food or inflight entertainment I can live with that - low stress and cost are my main consideration. So if Oman Air are correctly priced then they are my no 1 choice, if not, then EVA, then Thai.

In Thailand never a problem when using Nok Air.

Out of all the low price carriers I am satisfied with Norwegian Air, if you book early you'll get good prices to Europe and in the new 787 Dreamliners.

Yes you have to pay for the luggage and all that but if the total price is a lot cheaper then I have no problems paying for luggage and meals. 

Best flight ever with new aeroplane and best in flight service  Johannesburg/addis abuba ethiopian air

Worst flight ever with the oldest of the fleet, every thing broken in the cabin and the airport is a dump Addis/Bkk ethiopian air

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I've flown almost 700,000 miles over the last 6 years as a courier and have flown a lot of different airlines, usually in coach though I do occasionally get an upgrade to business.  Singapore is consistently the best: once flew them Houston to Bangkok via Moscow and Changi and was given a full route upgrade...sorry when the flight ended.

As for the for the others, I've had great flights and not so great flights on Cathay Pacific, ANA, Korean and the Gulf airlines, it really depends on the destination, aircraft and especially, passenger load.  A full flight; and most flights these days have few empty seats, can mean a stressed cabin crew and that usually means you'll be having to ask for things that used to be provided automatically...like a pre dinner drink.  It is not unusual these days on full flights with even the best carriers to have beverage service completely omitted. Also more frequent these days to have your meal tray still sitting in front of you thirty minutes after you finished eating.

I think the massive change in the demographic of the travelling public has also had a massive affect on quality, especially in Asia. Passengers that act like cattle get treated like cattle. I think most of the gloss has disappeared from the occupation of flight attendant and it shows, sometimes even on the best airlines. The Gulf carriers seem to have a higher proportion of travelling families with the attendant screaming babies and seatback kicking kids.

Anyway, given a choice out of BKK?  

#1: Singapore, #2: Cathay Pacific, #3: Eva, #4: Thai,  #5: Korean

Beyond that in no special order: Qatar/Emirates/Etihad,  Lufthansa, ANA, JAL, Asaina.

Not enough flights on BA, KLM, Air France or Finnair to rate high or low.

My heart sinks when my itinerary reads Malaysian, Air India, Turkish, Philippine, China Air (though they have improved) or Delta. 

I agree that Singapore Airlines is still one of the best. I flew with them a few years ago on a long hauls from Bangkok to Singapore, and then an onward flight to Papua New Guinea. As one Poster pointed out, one way to judge a good airline is when things go wrong. This happened to me with Singapore Airlines once to.

My flight from Bangkok to Singapore went without a hitch, but my onward flight to Papua New Guinea was at first delayed because of mechanical problems, and when they couldn't get a replacement aircraft for this flight a couple of hours later, they cancelled the flight for that day.

Without having to fight for it, and just waiting my turn while they sorted things out, they gave me a hotel voucher to stay in a nice nearby hotel for free. They also gave me a meal vouchers for supper and lunch the next day as breakfast at this hotel was free anyway. They also paid for my taxi to and from this hotel, which was only 10 minutes away.

The only unexpected problem I had was with my Checked Baggage which was suppose to go straight on to Papua New Guinea. They wanted me to pick that up before I left for my hotel and check it in again the next day. The problem I had was inside this luggage I had 6 Cartons of cigarettes as I was headed out to the jungle there and needed extra.

Anyone who smokes and knows about Singapore Customs, you do not try to smuggle in cigarettes there, Not even one pack. I planned to pay duty and taxes on my cigarettes, when I arrived in Papua New Guinea, and like I always did, but taken them through Singapore Customs first also now means I would have to pay Duty twice. If they would even let me bring in this amount in the first place.

So to help me with this problem, where many other airlines could care less, they sent a representative with me to my Checked Baggage Area, and allowed me to enter my bag to take out a few items I would need that day, then told me they will forward my luggage on the next day when I travelled.

To be honest and when I finally arrived in Papua New Guinea I didn't expect my Checked Luggage to be their. I think I spent more time looking for the Lost Baggage Claim Counter than my luggage. But to my delight and surprise my Checked Luggage showed up almost the first bag with a Red Priority Baggage Tag attached to it.  

When you travel a lot many things can go wrong as you know. But how an airline treats you in times like that really shows what they are made of.

I changed my mind and now rank Singapore Airlines above Lufthansa. They only thing I didn't like about Singapore Airlines was that there Lounge was upstairs and you had to climb stairs to get there. With no smoking room nearby.  But the last time I was their was during construction, so maybe a lot of things have changed since then.         

After some extended travel and flying solo :
best airline ever Singapore Airlines..
Second best Thai Airways
Flying from Europe to LOS with missus and children defenetely Emirates due to its inflight entertainment system that kept the kids busy
Worst Airline to LOS Air India because of a 36 hour delay on a flight from Mumbai to Bangkok

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, GOLDBUGGY said:

Interesting Topic.

For me and in choosing airlines, I don't just look at the seats, food onboard, and service. I look at everything including check in and there being on time, and their main airport, for layovers.

For me, my favorite airline is Lufthansa. I have travelled off and on with them for years, although not lately, and I have most times been very happy with them. Their seats and airplanes are comfortable and food is okay. They have a great air miles program and belong to Star Alliance, which is also the largest.

Frankfurt Airport is also very okay but you still have to do a lot of walking sometimes, which I am past the age of enjoying this long walk and carrying heavy bags with me. But they make up for this by having plenty of smoking areas and places to sit down along the way. I especially like there Business Class and Senator Lounges in Frankfurt. Perhaps the best I have been in with all things being considered. A nice place for a nice shower and a sleep room if you have a long stop over.

I like Singapore Airlines to and especially their airport. Customs there are also very friendly and helpful. But Lufthansa in my opinion was just a little better in there Lounge.

For me the worst is Ethiopian Airlines. Their Check in Gate is about as far always from the Domestic Arrivals that one can get and I need to get to Bangkok with Domestic Flight to catch this International Flight. Which means mowing over a thousand Chinese along the way, who will not get out of the way, and like to stand in the middle of the room or at a door way.

Ethiopian also only open one gate, usually late, and then later on open 2 gates, when the lineup gets too long and we are running out of time. At Check In, you will get your Boarding Pass and Gate Number for Boarding, but this Gate Number tends to change after you get through Customs. So you constantly have to check the Boards for Check In Gates.

The last trip I took with them there Gate Number was about as far away as one could get in Bangkok Airport. But I managed to find a Smoking Room about 5 Gates away and was 30 minutes before Boarding, so I went for a smoke. But in the mean time they changed the Gate Number, which I had no idea of knowing.

I managed to get to this first gate with still time left, but discovered then the Gate Number Changed as lucky for me there was an Attendant still standing their. I had to walk back 5 Gates, and from where I just came from at the Smoking Room, but the Walkway their only goes in one direction. So I had to run back to barely catch my bus and flight. Of course when I got onboard there was no place for my Carryon as someone with the likes of Golf Clubs hogged the whole thing.

The Seats and Seating Arrangement was terrible to. I felt like I was sitting on a Board rather than a soft seat. For a long flight my legs were so numb I could hardly walk afterwards. What made matters worst is that they jammed me in like a Sardine. Three Big Guys sitting in my row and me at the window, while to row in front of me was empty. So better when somebody moved but on the way back I got stuck with this.

The food also sucked on this flight, and the next one I had to take later to a different city. They had Chicken or Fish. I chose Chicken but was disappointed as they put a bunch of crap on it that spoiled it totally. On my next flight to a different city I had the choice of Chicken or Fish again. This time I went with Fish only to discover that they put the same crap on that Fish to,

The Airport for Ethiopian Airlines is at Addis Ababa Ethiopia. This has got to be one of the worst International Airport I have ever been in, and I have been in many. I can't recall seeing a single Walkway there, but if there was there was very few. But plenty of stairs to go up and down in, carrying you Carryon Luggage.

This airport was also way overcrowded. People everywhere! But I bet there were not more than 50 seats in this whole airport, so most people were sitting on the floor. The shops looked okay and the prices seemed good. A Carton of Cigarettes there only cost $17, or about 600 Baht, and thus cheaper than Thailand. But you can only bring back one Carton, so not worth it.  

The one public toilet I found after walking for miles was a complete mess. I wish I had my Rubber Boots on instead of my sandals and socks as the sewage water was backed up onto the floor and my feet got wet taking a leak. The only other public toilet I could find was passed Customs, which had a mile long lineup for both male and female.

The only nice surprise for me there was their Cloud 9 Lounge, which I was able to go into. The furniture needs replacement as it is shabby, but at least you had a place you could sit down on. The 3 computers they had for free Internet didn't work either, but not such a big deal for me. You could get a snack to eat there also, but I never tried anything. They had alcoholic beverages, but nothing in the way of Wine I could see. So I stuck to coffee.

To me the best part of this lounge is that they had a smoking room, and toilets you could use where you didn't have to stand in a pool of water. No shower but a decent and clean toilet at least. I spent most of my time having a coffee and cigarette and watching the lineup going through Customs.

Which the Customs Officials were very rude also and making this trip even more unpleasant. Made me take my rubber watch off and sandals, where at least my feet were dry by then. Then yelled at me for having One Cigarette Lighter n my Carryon and demanded that I give it to him. You would have thought it was a Hand Gun. Any other Customs lets you keep one lighter, including Thailand, but not these guys. They were not even nice about it. But it wasn't just me as they were rude to everyone.  

Boarding your flight from there is also totally Chaos! No Seats! No Signs! No one you can hear when they do call for your flight. People blocking the way so even with Business Class you can't board the bus as you can't get past them all standing their. Sent us al downstairs for about 10 minutes then called us all back upstairs again because they made a mistake. Of course they was no elevator or anything like that, so it was walking up stairs again with all you Carryon. A Real Nightmare for sure! Coming back wasn't better either.    

on Lufthansa u feel very safe. except for the incident with the suicide pilot on feeder aiirline

internationally I have had good luck with cathay and asiana. except asiana has horrendous layovers in seoul but sometimes they will give you a free airport hotel room.   thai of course is great international airlne . they don't hassle you.   Qatar is ok but they thought my vitamins were drugs and started analizing them at the counter .  alot of misttrust with Qatar.  i don't want to sound racist but Asians a lot more zen than middle easterners

23 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Worst KLM if your bags are one gram overweight u be severly charged and always crappy arogant hot air service based on nothing.Flying emirats have decent standard and in general asian airlines are pleasant to travel with.

i had the same problem with Qatar airways in Brussel (lady at counter),litlle bit overweight and had to pay 86 €.But i must say it depends on the man/lady behind the counter,1 year later no problem for the guy sitting at the desk for litlle overweight

Am a little surprised Oman Air have had a couple of mentions in the worst catagory. I'd put them in my  top 7 (out of 28) and when the new terminal opens (think Dohas as in delays !) I'd likely put them top 5

Bus transfer for now negates that. Had an email last month with anticipated opening in November this year

without ranking : Thai, Swiss (I like the daytime flight), Singapore, Garuda and Etihad, Qatar (avoiding this last 2 because of the stopover)

without own experience but friend love it : Korean, Cathay

PIA should get the prize for worst.

" Pakistan International Airlines is investigating how seven extra passengers were allowed stand in the aisles on a flight to Saudi Arabia, a spokesman told the BBC. "

Interesting Topic.

For me and in choosing airlines, I don't just look at the seats, food onboard, and service. I look at everything including check in and there being on time, and their main airport, for layovers.

For me, my favorite airline is Lufthansa. I have travelled off and on with them for years, although not lately, and I have most times been very happy with them. Their seats and airplanes are comfortable and food is okay. They have a great air miles program and belong to Star Alliance, which is also the largest.

Frankfurt Airport is also very okay but you still have to do a lot of walking sometimes, which I am past the age of enjoying this long walk and carrying heavy bags with me. But they make up for this by having plenty of smoking areas and places to sit down along the way. I especially like there Business Class and Senator Lounges in Frankfurt. Perhaps the best I have been in with all things being considered. A nice place for a nice shower and a sleep room if you have a long stop over.

I like Singapore Airlines to and especially their airport. Customs there are also very friendly and helpful. But Lufthansa in my opinion was just a little better in there Lounge.

For me the worst is Ethiopian Airlines. Their Check in Gate is about as far always from the Domestic Arrivals that one can get and I need to get to Bangkok with Domestic Flight to catch this International Flight. Which means mowing over a thousand Chinese along the way, who will not get out of the way, and like to stand in the middle of the room or at a door way.

Ethiopian also only open one gate, usually late, and then later on open 2 gates, when the lineup gets too long and we are running out of time. At Check In, you will get your Boarding Pass and Gate Number for Boarding, but this Gate Number tends to change after you get through Customs. So you constantly have to check the Boards for Check In Gates.

The last trip I took with them there Gate Number was about as far away as one could get in Bangkok Airport. But I managed to find a Smoking Room about 5 Gates away and was 30 minutes before Boarding, so I went for a smoke. But in the mean time they changed the Gate Number, which I had no idea of knowing.

I managed to get to this first gate with still time left, but discovered then the Gate Number Changed as lucky for me there was an Attendant still standing their. I had to walk back 5 Gates, and from where I just came from at the Smoking Room, but the Walkway their only goes in one direction. So I had to run back to barely catch my bus and flight. Of course when I got onboard there was no place for my Carryon as someone with the likes of Golf Clubs hogged the whole thing.

The Seats and Seating Arrangement was terrible to. I felt like I was sitting on a Board rather than a soft seat. For a long flight my legs were so numb I could hardly walk afterwards. What made matters worst is that they jammed me in like a Sardine. Three Big Guys sitting in my row and me at the window, while to row in front of me was empty. So better when somebody moved but on the way back I got stuck with this.

The food also sucked on this flight, and the next one I had to take later to a different city. They had Chicken or Fish. I chose Chicken but was disappointed as they put a bunch of crap on it that spoiled it totally. On my next flight to a different city I had the choice of Chicken or Fish again. This time I went with Fish only to discover that they put the same crap on that Fish to,

The Airport for Ethiopian Airlines is at Addis Ababa Ethiopia. This has got to be one of the worst International Airport I have ever been in, and I have been in many. I can't recall seeing a single Walkway there, but if there was there was very few. But plenty of stairs to go up and down in, carrying you Carryon Luggage.

This airport was also way overcrowded. People everywhere! But I bet there were not more than 50 seats in this whole airport, so most people were sitting on the floor. The shops looked okay and the prices seemed good. A Carton of Cigarettes there only cost $17, or about 600 Baht, and thus cheaper than Thailand. But you can only bring back one Carton, so not worth it.  

The one public toilet I found after walking for miles was a complete mess. I wish I had my Rubber Boots on instead of my sandals and socks as the sewage water was backed up onto the floor and my feet got wet taking a leak. The only other public toilet I could find was passed Customs, which had a mile long lineup for both male and female.

The only nice surprise for me there was their Cloud 9 Lounge, which I was able to go into. The furniture needs replacement as it is shabby, but at least you had a place you could sit down on. The 3 computers they had for free Internet didn't work either, but not such a big deal for me. You could get a snack to eat there also, but I never tried anything. They had alcoholic beverages, but nothing in the way of Wine I could see. So I stuck to coffee.

To me the best part of this lounge is that they had a smoking room, and toilets you could use where you didn't have to stand in a pool of water. No shower but a decent and clean toilet at least. I spent most of my time having a coffee and cigarette and watching the lineup going through Customs.

Which the Customs Officials were very rude also and making this trip even more unpleasant. Made me take my rubber watch off and sandals, where at least my feet were dry by then. Then yelled at me for having One Cigarette Lighter n my Carryon and demanded that I give it to him. You would have thought it was a Hand Gun. Any other Customs lets you keep one lighter, including Thailand, but not these guys. They were not even nice about it. But it wasn't just me as they were rude to everyone.  

Boarding your flight from there is also totally Chaos! No Seats! No Signs! No one you can hear when they do call for your flight. People blocking the way so even with Business Class you can't board the bus as you can't get past them all standing their. Sent us al downstairs for about 10 minutes then called us all back upstairs again because they made a mistake. Of course they was no elevator or anything like that, so it was walking up stairs again with all you Carryon. A Real Nightmare for sure! Coming back wasn't better either.    

Most of your post is about smoking and how hard it is to walk. Maybe your health would be better if you did not live with a stinking cigarette hanging out of your gob troubling people with your body odour and breath troubling all and sundry.

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Most of your post is about smoking and how hard it is to walk. Maybe your health would be better if you did not live with a stinking cigarette hanging out of your gob troubling people with your body odour and breath troubling all and sundry.

Thank you for your ADVICE on your favorite AIRLINE. I am sure many here will find this very useful on their next trip.

I have seen many more people a lot younger than me and in far worst shape than I am. So you can put that in your pipe and smoke it, along with what ever else you are smoking now.

On 3/2/2017 at 7:04 AM, 1337markus said:

Best consistently for me is Singapore Airlines

After last months trips ( 4 in total) Turkish Airlines; leave late, they dont honor code sharing with Thai at Swampy, and doesnt matter what seat you have confirmed you get bumped back to the rear of the plane. Dont know who voted them best European airline for 6 years.

Doesn't matter who voted for them, They paid the most and that's why they are supposedly the best.

I fly very regular with them (business class) as i don't have a other choice.

In the air they are not to bad but in the rest they are terrible.

all the phillipino airlines are terrible.  I think air asia has improved a lot. especially after their last air crash. but to be fair. the crashed plane was air asia Indonesia.  but still it does have the air asia name.  air asia doesn't hassle you about carry on as much as they used to. ive been happy with thai lion air as well.  I think nok got a lifeline with scoot. lets see how that plays out.  maybe too many carriers in Thailand now?   thai lion air.  nok/scoot   thai/thai smile.    air asia............that is 4 major carriers...........that's a lot. something has gotta give.  I have always been pleased with vietnam airlines.  easy booking on their website. and they don't hassle you at check in

Edited by yogavnture

On 3/2/2017 at 3:31 PM, Brer Fox said:

Worst airline between Vietnam to Thailand and domestic in Vietnam and Thailand  - Vietjet Airlines. Famous for never being on time and have even been know to fly to the wrong destination. Be warned!

Interesting read  (story and comments) on what can go wrong with Vietjet.

http://avherald.com/h?article=47623856

Fly them frequently as they are better than Air Asia and fly from Swampy.

Never had a problem with them but I know that they are always going to be late unless you are catching the first one out for the day.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, mogandave said:

If flying business, tough to beat Thai when you consider the special security and immigration lines.

I fly them a couple once a month to DEL & KUL.

I think it depends a lot on where you're going.

Live, love, laugh

thai has superb service levels. and they don't seem to be as greedy as the other airlines. although their prices can be a bit high

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Fly them frequently as they are better than Air Asia and fly from Swampy.

Never had a problem with them but I know that they are always going to be late unless you are catching the first one out for the day.

I don't think vietjet flys from swampy do they.  Vietnam airlines is a much better airline than vietjet. check out their website as about as easy as it can get.

thai has superb service levels. and they don't seem to be as greedy as the other airlines. although their prices can be a bit high

I wish they still had the non-stop to LAX...

I lot of people ta sh*t about them, the I think the service is good and the lounges are better than most.

The lounges have improved a lot the last few years, not Emirates, but good.

On 3/12/2017 at 9:43 PM, yogavnture said:

I don't think vietjet flys from swampy do they.  Vietnam airlines is a much better airline than vietjet. check out their website as about as easy as it can get.

Yes VJ fly from Swampy.

VN  is way more expensive and their website is terrible to try to book on.