best or worst airline that flys in or out of thailand

yogavnture

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Can't say I disagree with most of what you said, except I don't remember 8-10 hour layover, I remember it being long (5 or 6) going, but short coming back.

In any event, it's still quicker than going through Dubai.

I did a few years on Emirates, and I thought the seats on the Asiana 380 were just as comfortable, albeit somewhat spartan. Emirates entertainment wins hands-down.

Asiana is significantly cheaper, and if not handing out shaving kits helps the keep the price down fine, I never use them anyway.

So what do you think of the "new" Star Alliance lounge at Bradley?

I transferred from a domestic American Airlines flight that morning, and was able to go from (I think) five to Bradly without checking back in or going back through security.

You're right...I just looked back and my connection time to LAX was about 7 hours. But still...  The return leg is great with a very short connection time, just walk off one plane and onto the other.

EK vs. OZ seats: I actually found EK's to be more comfy, plus they hand out mattress pads, which OZ do not. I agree with you on spartan. Also, whether you drink or not, the bar in the back is a nice break. But one thing I really, really like about EK are their liberal operational upgrades. I used to fly EK a lot to the Middle East and had gold status on them. I think I got upgraded to First about 25% of the time. EK First is definitely the way to fly. I was always doing solo business trips, but I did notice a small sign over the First Class shower spa up front. It said "Maximum, Two Passengers". Imagine that. 

I really like the new *A lounge at Bradley. Lots of food selection and the outside terrace is very nice, getting some fresh air before being sealed up in an aluminium tube for 12 hours. Lounge food is kind of important to me, as I would prefer to eat on the ground rather than in flight. 

Not sure how you got around going through security at the Bradley terminal, though. Seems I had to do that, even with a transfer from an incoming UA flight which arrived at a different terminal.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No luggage, just a carry on, and the AA Terminal is right next to Bradly, United is 6 & 7 I think. I just followed the signs...I had about 6 hours to kill at the lounge.

United's new club lounge at LAX is nice as well, open-air terrace overlooking the gates.

I forgot about the pads on EK, those were nice. Also nice getting upgraded (coach to biz) often as well, but I don't ever travel to Dubai anymore. The EK lounge at LAX is great if a little small.

I was traveling with my wife and boy LAX-DXB-BKK and I got upgraded checking in at LAX but the wife did not. I asked if the would upgrade my wife instead of me and the upgraded all three of us. That lounge at Dubai is the bomb.

I miss EK but it's over $1K difference and a longer flight. I travel to DEL, KUL, HKG & LAX, so Thai & Star Alliance works well. I do miss the TG LAX non-stop..,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Nice upgrade story, and EK really are good about that. Sometimes I think they just hand them out randomly for PR and people go around saying how great EK are with upgrades. I wish TG would do that. 

OK, so while OZ may be sort of average in business class, as long as we are talking upgrades: One of the three business trips with Asiana to LAX, I took my wife along. I had done all our seats and we had seats together in the middle on the long A380 leg.  At LAX, went to check in and the agent began to apologise profusely for a problem that caused us to lose our seats together and we were now on opposite sides of the cabin. I told her "never mind, it's ok" and we are just going to sleep and it's not like we were on a honeymoon or anything. "Don't worry about it". But she said "no, no, I will get the supervisor". Supervisor came out, they had a few word in Korean, punched something into their terminal and out came two new boarding passes: 2 E&F. First class. "We are so sorry, please accept our upgrade". Which of course we happily accepted.

There are not many airlines who go that far out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. Thanks, OZ. But it's just that 7 hour connection time on the way over. I wish they would add another flight to make that easier. I have a trip to Washington DC next month and taking ANA, so we'll see how that goes. EK is actually cheaper and easier, but I need the *A miles to maintain status, as I don't travel as much as I used to.

And yep, that EK lounge at DXB Concourse A really is da bomb. Best designed and outfitted lounge I have seen anywhere, with the lounge situated at a lift that takes you directly to your jetway, without hundreds of gate lice all pushing and shoving to be first on board. Wonderful spread of food too. LH at IAD have a good one as well, where the lounge opens directly into the jetway to your aircraft. But with LH,  it's after you get on the plane that things begin to suck. 

I did that TG nonstop from LAX once. LAX - BKK took almost 17 hours, and to be honest, that was just too long in one go. I was lucky enough to be in C, but I cannot even imagine how anyone could do that in a fully booked middle seat in economy. I also can't imagine that would even be very healthy.

I loved that flight, but never did it in economy.

I got upgraded on Thai today going to Hong Kong, first time in years.

I only get to fly biz over 6 hours, and then it has to be "the lowest logical fare" ergo, OZ.

Not a fan of ANA, the entertainment blows, or at least it always has when I've been on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

LOL. Now that's a blast from the past. Bangkok Dhaka London and back on their DC-10 in my early 20's. Nothing like turbulence over the Himalayas to get one thinking... 'must work harder so that $500 bucket shop flights are not so appealing.'

On 03/05/2017 at 7:10 PM, organic said:

Are Bangladesh Biman still allowed to fly into Bkk? Or anywhere else for that matter?

Hah! Back 'in the day' they (and CSA, Czech) were the cheapest BKK-Singapore, 70s and 80s ( but cheap then was probably about the same as it costs now, as airfares have gone down so much in real terms).

On 5/3/2017 at 2:55 PM, bubba said:

I did that TG nonstop from LAX once. LAX - BKK took almost 17 hours, and to be honest, that was just too long in one go. I was lucky enough to be in C, but I cannot even imagine how anyone could do that in a fully booked middle seat in economy. I also can't imagine that would even be very healthy.

I flew the Thai BKK-JFK route several times in coach...not that bad really because seating was 2-4-2, not 3-4-3 with a extra dose of pitch, more than adequate leg room. Passenger load was restricted by extra fuel required for the 16.5 hour JFK-BKK flight.  When fuel prices went up, they lost money even fully loaded. 

I realized I actually preferred having a stop along the way to walk and unbend.  Favorite JFK-BKK was CX via HKG, right over the North Pole.

I will never get bored with the nighttime approach to LAX.

26 minutes ago, mogandave said:

My least favorite was Northwest.

My favorite Northwest story:

1994..NW announced a $199 BOS-SFO RT promotional fare...spent hours on phone but finally got through and booked.

My then GF and I wanted an early AM Saturday departure and after a 9 day stay, the latest PM Sunday return. The best we could get was a Friday 11pm departure and a 8am Sunday return.

Got to Logan for the Fri. departure:..mob scene, overbooked. NW started offering increasingly large incentives to be bumped.  We took a deal, the night in a first class airport hotel, $30 meal voucher and first class to SFO next day...the flight we originally wanted, plus $1000 transferable, one year vouchers, each.

We had 9 great days in CA, then when we went to check -in early Sunday for the return, same  situation.  Again we took essentially the same deal, First class return, airport hotel room for the day, meal and city transportation vouchers along with $1000 vouchers, returning on the flight we originally wanted. We had a great extra day on the Embarcadero and came home with $4000 in vouchers from an initial outlay of $400....not bad.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:55 AM, bubba said:

Nice upgrade story, and EK really are good about that. Sometimes I think they just hand them out randomly for PR and people go around saying how great EK are with upgrades. I wish TG would do that. 

OK, so while OZ may be sort of average in business class, as long as we are talking upgrades: One of the three business trips with Asiana to LAX, I took my wife along. I had done all our seats and we had seats together in the middle on the long A380 leg.  At LAX, went to check in and the agent began to apologise profusely for a problem that caused us to lose our seats together and we were now on opposite sides of the cabin. I told her "never mind, it's ok" and we are just going to sleep and it's not like we were on a honeymoon or anything. "Don't worry about it". But she said "no, no, I will get the supervisor". Supervisor came out, they had a few word in Korean, punched something into their terminal and out came two new boarding passes: 2 E&F. First class. "We are so sorry, please accept our upgrade". Which of course we happily accepted.

There are not many airlines who go that far out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. Thanks, OZ. But it's just that 7 hour connection time on the way over. I wish they would add another flight to make that easier. I have a trip to Washington DC next month and taking ANA, so we'll see how that goes. EK is actually cheaper and easier, but I need the *A miles to maintain status, as I don't travel as much as I used to.

And yep, that EK lounge at DXB Concourse A really is da bomb. Best designed and outfitted lounge I have seen anywhere, with the lounge situated at a lift that takes you directly to your jetway, without hundreds of gate lice all pushing and shoving to be first on board. Wonderful spread of food too. LH at IAD have a good one as well, where the lounge opens directly into the jetway to your aircraft. But with LH,  it's after you get on the plane that things begin to suck. 

ive always liked the service levels on asiana. problem with them is that they now require like a 10 hour layover in seoul to go west..........but I think u can get them to give you a free airport hotel room in the ticket price if u ask

Yes, OZ will give you a room for any connection time greater than eight hours, but you have to ask in advance. They will make a note in your record, and then when you get to ICN, you check with their customer service desk in arrivals. It will probably be a room over in Incheon, with a free ten or fifteen minute shuttle. Nothing fancy, but  a clean and functional room located on a street with several nearly identical hotels used by airlines and people laying over. There are a lot of nice little restaurants around, so you could have a good Korean meal to kill some time as well.

12 hours ago, bubba said:

Yes, OZ will give you a room for any connection time greater than eight hours, but you have to ask in advance. They will make a note in your record, and then when you get to ICN, you check with their customer service desk in arrivals. It will probably be a room over in Incheon, with a free ten or fifteen minute shuttle. Nothing fancy, but  a clean and functional room located on a street with several nearly identical hotels used by airlines and people laying over. There are a lot of nice little restaurants around, so you could have a good Korean meal to kill some time as well.

I think I might do this next time. I flew cathay pacific from bkk to Chicago.  14 hours plus. I'm getting too old for 15 hour flights.  tramatic.  if a person broke up flight to seoul layover with room it would make it more bearable.  any body have any info on any airlines other than asiana doing this?  obviously if the layover is more than 8 hours nobodys gonna buy that flight so the room idea is sensible

PS. ASIANA only gives the room one way...........not two ways

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

49 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

I think I might do this next time. I flew cathay pacific from bkk to Chicago.  14 hours plus. I'm getting too old for 15 hour flights.  tramatic.  if a person broke up flight to seoul layover with room it would make it more bearable.  any body have any info on any airlines other than asiana doing this?  obviously if the layover is more than 8 hours nobodys gonna buy that flight so the room idea is sensible

PS. ASIANA only gives the room one way...........not two ways

Not to the US... but I do something similar all the time flying back to the UK from Bangkok. 

The direct flight is a lot with a 3 year old, so we break up the flight with an over night in the UAE (either Abu Dhabi or Dubai), which has Air-side hotels (no need to leave the terminal or pass immigration).

We take an afternoon flight from BKK, arrive in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi for a +/- 12 hr lay over.... We check in to the hotel, then go for dinner, walk around the duty free shops, go back to the hotel, give my son a bath and all get into bed and watch a movie together.... then wake up, shower and go to the Gate without having to go through any security etc... just grab a coffee on the way to the gate !!!...  

We are fully rested and relaxed for the morning flight onwards from the UAE to the UK. 

The whole journey Airport to Airport to Airport takes about 26 hrs... but we are in no major rush and find that upon our arrival we have already broken the back of jet-lag. 

We do the same in return.... I've found this to be the one of the easiest ways to travel (if in no rush). 

I've been flying business class for the last 15 years... since my Son turned 2 I won't pay for his business class ticket... I've found that flying Emirates A380 economy class with the 12 hr layover to be one the easiest ways of getting back and forth to and from the UK....

So... Emirates: Thats the best airline for me and my family to fly out of BKK to the UK with.

With one exception: Emirates seem to have been increasing their prices from flights originating in Asia lately. 

Edited by richard_smith237

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not to the US... but I do something similar all the time flying back to the UK from Bangkok. 

The direct flight is a lot with a 3 year old, so we break up the flight with an over night in the UAE (either Abu Dhabi or Dubai), which has Air-side hotels (no need to leave the terminal or pass immigration).

We take an afternoon flight from BKK, arrive in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi for a +/- 12 hr lay over.... We check in to the hotel, then go for dinner, walk around the duty free shops, go back to the hotel, give my son a bath and all get into bed and watch a movie together.... then wake up, shower and go to the Gate without having to go through any security etc... just grab a coffee on the way to the gate !!!...  

We are fully rested and relaxed for the morning flight onwards from the UAE to the UK. 

The whole journey Airport to Airport to Airport takes about 26 hrs... but we are in no major rush and find that upon our arrival we have already broken the back of jet-lag. 

We do the same in return.... I've found this to be the one of the easiest ways to travel (if in no rush). 

I've been flying business class for the last 15 years... since my Son turned 2 I won't pay for his business class ticket... I've found that flying Emirates A380 economy class with the 12 hr layover to be one the easiest ways of getting back and forth to and from the UK....

So... Emirates: Thats the best airline for me and my family to fly out of BKK to the UK with.

With one exception: Emirates seem to have been increasing their prices from flights originating in Asia lately. 

I have been thinking of doing the same - 12 hours is a lot when one gets older.

But what about the cost? I assume that the flight will cost more because of the 12 hours lay over? And how much for the air side hotel?

Is it possible to book all this on internet, or do you use a travel agent?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I have been thinking of doing the same - 12 hours is a lot when one gets older.

But what about the cost? I assume that the flight will cost more because of the 12 hours lay over? And how much for the air side hotel?

Is it possible to book all this on internet, or do you use a travel agent?

Thanks.

I use the Airline Websites. 

With Emirates.. Its very simple to select the layover you want.  Emirates price their flights per-leg and you can book all flights on one ticket. Some of the flight costs vary depending on a whole range of factors, availability etc but generally the cost for a ticket with a 2 hr layover is similar to the cost of a ticket with a 12 hr lay over. 

With Etihad I had to phone up as the Website does not show flights with a long layover. 

I was using air-miles and am not sure if there is any difference in cost, but it should be easy enough to find out when looking into flights. 

The Air-side hotels: 

Dubai International Terminal Hotel: AED 700 / THB 6560

Abu Dhani Aerotel: AED 580 / THB 5440

Be careful when booking the Airside hotels as a lot of websites use the terminology 'Airport hotel' for hotels which are near, but not inside the airports and you'd have to clear immigration etc. 

Note:

Dubai Airport: A Transit Visa is not required if transiting for less than 24 hrs. 

Abu Dhabi: A Transit Visa is required for 'some nationalities' (Thai (not British)) in Abu Dhabi for any transit layover longer than 8 hrs (Cost is US$58) - (Even if you are not leaving the airport)

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Thanks Richard - This certainly is a good alternative to flying business class.

Definitely - Especially on the Emirates A380 which has sufficient leg room. 

When traveling Business with my Son, I found I didn't sleep anyway because I was always keeping an eye on him. 

Ultimately this led to him getting a great nights sleep on a flight, me not having much sleep. Me being too tired to deal with him once he is full of beans again !!!... 

It's been much easier taking a day time flight, getting a good night sleep at a layover hotel and continuing on with the next flight the next morning. When I get on that flight in the morning, even with a 3 year old child, My Wife, Son and I are the most relaxed people on the plane, we haven't had to deal with any security and have just had a solid nights sleep !... 

I also figure that taking a direct flights with a 3 year old is just too much... It can be done, but if at night time, he would sleep, I wouldn't !... 

If in the day time, he'd get bored and perhaps become harder work. Many people do do it, but I think why bother if I don't have to. 

On a flight to the UK I think the 12 hour UAE layover solves so many off the issues for those of us who do not have overbearing time constraints. 

Edited by richard_smith237

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Definitely - Especially on the Emirates A380 which has sufficient leg room. 

When traveling Business with my Son, I found I didn't sleep anyway because I was always keeping an eye on him. 

Ultimately this led to him getting a great nights sleep on a flight, me not having much sleep. Me being too tired to deal with him once he is full of beans again !!!... 

It's been much easier taking a day time flight, getting a good night sleep at a layover hotel and continuing on with the next flight the next morning. When I get on that flight in the morning, even with a 3 year old child, My Wife, Son and I are the most relaxed people on the plane, we haven't had to deal with any security and have just had a solid nights sleep !... 

I also figure that taking a direct flights with a 3 year old is just too much... It can be done, but if at night time, he would sleep, I wouldn't !... 

If in the day time, he'd get bored and perhaps become harder work. Many people do do it, but I think why bother if I don't have to. 

On a flight to the UK I think the 12 hour UAE layover solves so many off the issues for those of us who do not have overbearing time constraints. 

What happens with the checked in baggage?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Air asia flight from Sydney to Kl Plane is fantastic Airbus 330 Care factor from AirAsia not so good Planes are late most of the time Had scary flight over Gulf Of Thailand at night Anybody else had that? One time the plane could of flown over the storm but the captain decided to fly through it Loud thunder plane shook I thought "open the pearly gates my time had come" If i fly anywhere next time Singapore airlines i will fly with