VIETNAM (Ho Chi Minh/Hanoi)

My Thai wife and I are traveling to Vietnam and plan to get a Non-O visa (I see a one year is possible).

The doc. they ask are notarized copies of my wife ID and house book. I emailed them about one week ago to ask if they could accept a normal copy if she presents the original at the time. They have not answered. How should I take their silence? As a no? As a we-are-too-busy? As we-have-not -received your email because ... ? We don't answer these questions? We are losing face if we do answer? How dare you ask us to make accommodation for you? 

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only copies signed by your wife of her house book registry and ID card are needed. That is what is meant by certified on their website.

Thanks, Joe. Very much appreciated. No smoke in my lungs and arteries, in Vietnam (less so anyway).

6316768757022720.png?k=ZI4mgoVg96HlLWyBw

We all wish they could use the word "signed" and add "by the spouse". I will email them after I get my non-o and suggest the change. I thought I saw "notarised", but maybe they just recently changed this after I emailed them. Given I want to leave every year around this time, until someone get the smog issue under control, I will try this option. The evidence is mounting that those particles are not a small problem: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170227134914.htm Just met this German fellow who had a stroke last year and had to go back to Germany for treatment. I also know of some other dude who died of a stroke playing tennis a few years back. I could wear a good mask, of course, but ... 

Thanks for great advice.

I will report back on how my trip went to help others.

• 1 month later...

Reporting back on how it went.

My wife and I had prepared all the documents as specified on the website. We had to supply a rental agreement in lieu of the house book. We went at 9 a.m. on a Monday and we got the mult. entry non-o visiting spouse visa the day after at 1:30. A signature on her ID card and the full rental agreement by my wife complementing all the other signatures. On the application form they ask for guarantors both in Vietnam and in Thailand. We did not have to offer the one for Vietnam, but they insisted we recopy my wife's address and name. Her name and address had to be written 3 times to comply. Not sure if the consulate actually need this, but the clerk asked this to be written in full all of the time. What's wrong with these people. On the other hand, everyone was polite and helpful.

Incidentally, the visa on arrival procedures are a pain in the ass. We did the usual online agent mitigated process, but not the VIP way. People had to wait 1 hour to get the Vietnam visa.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist