New Air-Con recomendation?

CGW

I need to buy a new air con for ~40m2 bedroom, sure about 24k BTU will be good, looking on Thai websites as to just what is new and available is dismal! In the past I have always stuck with Mitsu, but any good name brand is ok, purchase price secondary to running costs, whats out there now that is good, anybody?

Very pleased with DAIKIN INVERTER, cools the room quickly and fan reasonably quiet.

Temperature control is very good, as it should be with an inverter

The outside unit is exceptionally quiet and even has a special setting for night use, but as mine is the other side of a very thick wall away from any windows, I cannot hear it anyway.

The inside unit is plain and functional, very well engineered.

The only downside was the lack of an English manual, but I found a decent version on the Australian Daikin website.

Bought from and installed by HomePro, we got a good deal for two units in the "Hot Season" sale last April, the installers did a very tidy job.

48 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Jeez.  I guess you didn't find or search for the 100's of threads on this already.  To summarize:  Daikin, and Mitsubishi are the favorites with the "inverter" type preferred.

Very helpful! yes I have seen all the previous threads I know full well that Daikin & Mitsu are the preferred brands, I also know that Inverter type AC are preferred, in fact if you look I have both contributed too and started some of the previous threads! they are all old information now!

Technology moves on! new models come onto the market regularly, I don't know about these! & that was why I started this thread, if someone bought an AC five years ago and they think it is very good etc, not really interested I would like to know what current models are available and thoughts on them, apoligise for not being more specific, though I did say what is available now.

do Daikin do a 24k BTU inverter unit? when I Iooked a few months ago the suppliers didn't have and no mention of one in the catalog; 18k BTU max available...ended up with a Mitsubishi Mr Slim 24k BTU inverter unit that I am very happy with...very pleasing strong silent operation...I keep it around 25C downstairs in the shophouse and fergit that it's running at times...

^According to their catalogue from the link ( Fat controller) above, they do a 24k unit FTKM 28, will pursue it. We have a Mitsu 18k Inverter in another room, been in about three years, I'm sure it has never worked to 100% efficiency, but seems I am the only one that thinks that! I will try the Daikin I think - if its available?

Ordered a Daikin FTKM28 from Lazada, not available locally apart from Homepro, Lazada is ~25% cheaper than Homepro which is a substantial saving by any reckoning! & I don't have to deal with the "staff" trying to sell me something I don't wont!

What can possibly go wrong! :shock1:

I hate all kind of unnecessary noise. ( how can I live in Bangkok? Weird :-) only because I wear customized hearing protection.) So for me also the noise of the outside unit should be limited. Even if the db values given  in many manuals are very similar I find Samsung air-conditioners to be the most silent ones. Of course I only use inverter units, Decreases noise and in certain circumstances saves electricity as well. That is valid for any inverter air conditioner.

On 3/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, CGW said:

Ordered a Daikin FTKM28 from Lazada, not available locally apart from Homepro, Lazada is ~25% cheaper than Homepro which is a substantial saving by any reckoning! & I don't have to deal with the "staff" trying to sell me something I don't wont!

you now havta arrange the installation of the unit...as I presume that lazada doesn't include installation in their price...

be careful and find installers that guarantee their work...if ye buy from a shop then they do the installation and guarantee it to work when ye fire it up...and you can contact them if there are problems later...

I saw that lazada was lots cheaper too but then I considered the above...not bein' adventurous with these things I paid the extra money fer the convenience of knowing that if it didn't work then they would havta fix it...

I had a Hitachi conventional unit installed a few years ago and a brazed  copper joint failed right after installation (an ungodly huge BANG) and the installers came out immediately and put it right...the new Mitsubishi inverter has been doin' OK (evaporator on the ground floor and the compressor on the terrace above)...as they were cleanin' up after the installation the step daughter who had been supervising sidled up and said: '300baht tip fer the lads fer a job well done, wouldn't ye say, tutsi?' and I said: 'sounds like it's in our best interests, so...it's cool...'

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

you now havta arrange the installation of the unit...as I presume that lazada doesn't include installation in their price...

I did consider this, but at 12k saving willing to take the chance - hopefully don't regret it?

We know a good company for installation (they don't supply Daikin - asked them already) that we have bought from in the past & used to move a couple of aircons to different positions, also use them for servicing, so "should" be ok?????????????

On 3/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, CGW said:

You could have bought it locally in Bangkok for Bt28,700 (price of A/C only).  Add approx Bt3K for  delivery and installation.  Installed within a day or two.    How much was the A/C on Lazada?

http://srairsale.com/page-2393.html

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

Pib, the FTKM Version on the website you linked to is 40,800 !

Was the link there previously? if it was never noticed it! about the same price at the end of the day!

yes, the link was there..

My bad on the price...I thought you said 18K BTU but reading your post again I see it actually said  28K.

Yeap, places like HomePro, Global, and similar type hardware stores are usually full retail price (regardless of their sales/promotions signs)but their prices usually includes the installation cost.  Of course since they are selling at full retail price they can affored to do the delivery & installation free.    The SRSales weblink I gave earlier is the A/C price only....add another approx Bt3K for delivery & installation.   

12 hours ago, Pib said:

yes, the link was there..

My bad on the price...I thought you said 18K BTU but reading your post again I see it actually said  28K.

Yeap, places like HomePro, Global, and similar type hardware stores are usually full retail price (regardless of their sales/promotions signs)but their prices usually includes the installation cost.  Of course since they are selling at full retail price they can affored to do the delivery & installation free.    The SRSales weblink I gave earlier is the A/C price only....add another approx Bt3K for delivery & installation.   

The AC is actually 24k, quite why they designate a 28 in the model number I have no idea! sure they have a reason.

The AC from Lazada is supplied by "another" company  based in Bangkok, we tried to buy direct from them but they quoted a higher price and much higher shipping charge than Lazada.

It's interesting that there is now more competition in the marketplace, I never realised that the big hardware stores charged full retail price, in most instances, guess they rely on a lot of customers also getting "easy credit" also, gives them justification for having more "Stalkers & Greeters" in their stores than customers!

For inverter A/C their maximum capacity us actually higher than their nominal/advertised capacity. Since an inverter claim to fame and energy savings is the ability to change its output capacity from a minimum value to a max value...a max value higher than its advertised and model number amount.

Like a Mitsubishi 22K BTU Inverter A/C I thinking about buying, without looking up the specs again and if I remember right it can vary it's BTU output from 6K to 24K.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

The AC is actually 24k, quite why they designate a 28 in the model number I have no idea! sure they have a reason.

The AC from Lazada is supplied by "another" company  based in Bangkok, we tried to buy direct from them but they quoted a higher price and much higher shipping charge than Lazada.

It's interesting that there is now more competition in the marketplace, I never realised that the big hardware stores charged full retail price, in most instances, guess they rely on a lot of customers also getting "easy credit" also, gives them justification for having more "Stalkers & Greeters" in their stores than customers!

OK, based on partial model number you gave in an earlier post of FTKM28 from looking at the Daikin Thailand website, yes its advertised "nominal" BTU output is 24K...specifically 24.2K but it has a minimum BTU output of 7.8K BTU and a maxiumun output of 30.4K BTU.   

So, when this Daikin inverter A/C is "initially" turned on to cool down a hot room its BTU output can actually go 30.4K BTU to cool down the room quicker.  Another claim to fame that inverter A/Cs advertise is how they can cool down a room faster compared to a regular A/C.  

Well, that is indeed true because when a regular A/C (a.k.a., fixed speed A/C since its compressor runs at a fixed speed...is either off or running at its fixed speed) it's using all of it's BTU output capability and for regular/fixed speed A/C their advertised BTU output is indeed their maximum BTU output (give a take just a little bit).  

So, if if you had bought a regular (non-inverter) 24K BTU A/C when it initially turns on to cool that hot room it will be putting out 24K BTU max; but that 24K BTU "inverter" A/C like your Daikin 24K BTU model will actually be putting out 30.4K BTU.  

http://www.daikin.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Smart-Catalog.pdf

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Summary! Aircon now fitted and working well, have to say consider Daikin superior to Mitsu, having been a longtime Mitsu advocate.

Fitters arrived and fitted AC, very good job, cost 2k, unfortunately that night the unit was making a strange noise! which turned out to be the left to right airflow swing mechanism, so we called the same fitters back who told us the what the problem was and gave us Daikin local number as they were unable to change parts, called Daikin they were easy to deal with, they sent repair team within 2 days who changed the mechanism and checked the installation - no charge obviously.

All in all satisfied that this was the best way to go, given the substantial cost saving over buying from "local" shop.

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Summary! Aircon now fitted and working well, have to say consider Daikin superior to Mitsu, having been a longtime Mitsu advocate.

Fitters arrived and fitted AC, very good job, cost 2k, unfortunately that night the unit was making a strange noise! which turned out to be the left to right airflow swing mechanism, so we called the same fitters back who told us the what the problem was and gave us Daikin local number as they were unable to change parts, called Daikin they were easy to deal with, they sent repair team within 2 days who changed the mechanism and checked the installation - no charge obviously.

All in all satisfied that this was the best way to go, given the substantial cost saving over buying from "local" shop.

where are you located? one thing that put me off Daikin was that they didn't appear have a local maintenance service in Suphanburi and the BKK Daikin folks weren't very helpful when I inquired a few years ago...

but I havta admit that I woulda gone with Daikin if what I wanted was available in the local shops...I'll havta be more creative/energetic the next time...congrats on yer new installation...

15 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

where are you located?

Udon Thani, if anyone wants needs an Air-Con installer or cleaner in this area I would have no problem recommending the people we used, its not often that I feel comfortable making recommendations here but these folks are good, we have used them three or four times now.

Cheers

Glad it worked out.  I'm still thinking/semi-shopping for an inverter A/C to replace a 9 year old 18K BTU  fixed speed/regular  York A/C I have.  The regular A/C is still working fine, but it really should be a little larger for the area it cools and since it runs 24/7 I figure I should be able to recover costs after with about 3 years of electric bill savings.    I'm specifically shopping for a Mitsubishi Inverter MSY-GN-24VF which is a 2017 model.    

All my in-person shopping and calling for pricing continue to confirm buying it at a HomePro, PowerBuy, just any larger retailer the price including installation is approx Bt50K, give or take Bt500.   But at small shops the price is approx Bt40K....Bt37K for the A/C plus another Bt3K for installation.    Or said another way, the big retail stores cost approx 25% more....guess their rent and profit margin is higher.  And when I bought a bunch of paint and other supplies two years ago to have my 2 story house painted I found this same approx 25% saving by using a small hardware store to buy my ICI Dulux paint and other paint supplies over a HomePro type store.   

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Glad it worked out.  I'm still thinking/semi-shopping for an inverter A/C to replace a 9 year old 18K BTU  fixed speed/regular  York A/C I have.  The regular A/C is still working fine, but it really should be a little larger for the area it cools and since it runs 24/7 I figure I should be able to recover costs after with about 3 years of electric bill savings.    I'm specifically shopping for a Mitsubishi Inverter MSY-GN-24VF which is a 2017 model.   

For what it is worth:- The Daikin replaced a Mitsubishi MSY-gk18VA, we moved this to another room and to replace an older AC.

The MItsu, in IMO never performed correctly! I'm the only one who thought that though, note now that the Daikin has no problem cooling the room at a higher temperature setting (yes, it is a larger unit) and what is noticeably better performance, the humidity is definitely lower and more comfortable.

The Mitsu we moved to the other room doesn't appear to perform as well as the old unit that was moved! I believe it is not working to its full potential but when nobody can fix it??? including Mitsu "techs"

We have 2 x other AC from this Mitsu range that are ok, but are never used that much.

The poor performance of the Mitsu was what made me look to another brand.

Cheers

Archived