Thais shoot themselves in the foot with their long term contracts of things

DjChris28

It has come to my attention that in thailand, especially in bangkok that anything good in quality has the usual 12 month commitment that is non negotiable. The rental quality between a 12 month contract and a 6 month contract in bangkok particularly is a huge gap where if you rent 12 months you get far higher quality than that of a 6 month lease. Its not just rental, but also internet as well. Practically all fibre optic internet requires a 12 month commitment. whereas crummy dial up you could go month by month.

However as an expat, the punishment for breaking a 12 month commitment, the joke is actually on the thais, not the farang. Say you rent a 12 month lease. A good apartment cost 25000 baht per month in bangkok to expat standards but this type of apartment is only available on 12 months. There are expats like me who don't mind paying 50000 baht to break the lease for the difference in quality. The landlord however has 2 months to find a replacement without losing money plus also cleaning the apartment. Ive seen good rental properties on the market for 6 months so really its the renters who have the upper hand here..

Lets look at internet. If I break the internet but i cant cancel before 12 months, i'm happy to pay the remainder bills (no more than probably 10k). but the person who moves into the apartment after me cant get internet because my internet is active and blocking them right? after all i tried cancelling and they wouldnt cancel.

The only thing that stops me from doing this is my moral compass. Im not suggesting that they should raise the penalty. I think thais should be more open to shorter terms because some people will do the right thing when they are given the choice (with a higher price of course).

I got a 6 month lease in a middle-upper range condo and a month to month internet connection without any issues at all. In fact, I didn't even have to pay for the internet until the first month passed.  

I am not sure what you are complaining about, but it's a buyers market there right now, Thai or Farang. In terms of suppliers, there are just so damn many that if they don't want to deal with your preference, burn them and move on to the next. 

Do you think it is Thais shooting themselves in the foot? They own the property and ask for what they want - a 12 month tenant so they don't have to worry about seeking another for at least a year.... or is it a clever guy like yourself, shooting them in the foot? 

Thais shoot themselves in the foot with their long term contracts of things

Sort of like the formation of the European Union and The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). 

Annual rental agreements or commitments for stated subscription periods for things like mobile phone or Internet or cable/satellite TV services are hardly an exclusively Thai thing and while people such as yourself (with or without a moral compass bandied about) are willing to forfeit money to get out of contracts, I doubt that applies to most people.

46 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Do you think it is Thais shooting themselves in the foot? They own the property and ask for what they want - a 12 month tenant so they don't have to worry about seeking another for at least a year.... or is it a clever guy like yourself, shooting them in the foot? 

But thats the thing. they dont get 12 month contract because i just break lease at 6 months. So they don't get what they want :).

2 hours ago, wump said:

In my experience, if you talk nicely to the landlord you can stay in any 12-month place for six months and just pay about 10% more per month. It's all about negotiation.

Yes a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. 

I'm not sure what the OP is saying, but after some replies, I think it is this.

If you only want a 6 months lease, it is cheaper to sign a 12 months lease and then leave after the original planned 6 months and pay penalties. Must be some difference in the monthly rentals between 6 and 12 months.

2 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

But thats the thing. they dont get 12 month contract because i just break lease at 6 months. So they don't get what they want :).

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying - - you have figured a way around the contract. a way to get around what they want, and so, in effect, you are the one shooting them in the foot...

There were a few times in USA when I became an "accidental" landlord. I would have preferred your way of terminating the lease. The last couple of years I was a landlord, people stopped paying me and did not move out either. Yes, the police were on my side, but eviction process is a mess. Most landlords just want their agreed upon rent. If anyone ever wanted out of a lease early, I let them. I was just glad to get the place back in decent condition.