Reject booze tax hikes says writer "Bun-chit Fackmee"

webfact

Reject booze tax hikes says writer "Bun-chit Fackmee"

2am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A well known Thai writer and social commentator has called the rise in the taxes on beer wine and spirits as "lacking legitimacy".

Kla - or Chai-anan Samutwanit - said that with no MPs at the moment the Thai public should not just take these directives lying down.

It is still unclear whether the change in tax ceilings and tax collection methods will mean higher prices for drinkers. Some say it could raise the price a lot while the authorities say it won't, Daily News reported.

But Kla - better known by his cheeky Thai-cum-English sounding pen-name of 'Bun-chit Fackmee' - went on Facebook to take a pop at both the Thai public and, by inference, those in charge of the country.

He said in reference to the tax rises: "Some may say, that's OK, it won't affect me, I don't drink.

"Some will just say it's good - (making it more expensive) can help people to give up booze.

"But haven't we forgotten what is really important here?

"There are no representatives of the people to oversee this tax collection. No MPs in parliament.

"So it basically lacks any legitimacy".

Several changes have already been made while others are in the offing with the full overhaul of the tax collection on alcoholic beverages likely to take effect within this calendar year.

"Are people just going to accept this lying down?" asked the writer.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-02

Higher taxes on alcohol always translate in higher booze.  Thailand already has the most expensive beer, wine and spirits in Asia.  Cambodia and Vietnam is so much cheaper and better. A higher tax is not very inviting for the expected 30 million of tourists coming in Thailand, this is money they will not spend on other things like small business, food stall, little shops etc.

The government should encourage tourists to spend for the benefit of the Thai people.  Thailand is very expensive right now, tourists will simply go elsewhere like Vietnam and Cambodia. 

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Tax has never owned any legitimacy. It´s just a tool to reap from the poor and give to the rich. Simplyfied it´s just an evil version of Robin Hood!

He took from the rich to give to the poor.  The Thai version would be called Dooh Nibor.

53 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

Higher taxes on alcohol always translate in higher booze.  Thailand already has the most expensive beer, wine and spirits in Asia.  Cambodia and Vietnam is so much cheaper and better. A higher tax is not very inviting for the expected 30 million of tourists coming in Thailand, this is money they will not spend on other things like small business, food stall, little shops etc.

The government should encourage tourists to spend for the benefit of the Thai people.  Thailand is very expensive right now, tourists will simply go elsewhere like Vietnam and Cambodia. 

Malaysia and Singapore were in Asia last time I looked at the map.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Why not go many steps further and say that because there is no representatives of the people, we do not see legitimacy in any law and order?

We can do as we like...

What do you think is going on right now and has been going on for eons? The nationals are doing as they like, representation or not!!!!

2 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Youi need to travel more. A couple of weeks back, I paid the equivalent of more than Bt2000 for a 1L bottle of Absolute vodka in Singapore.

5 minutes ago, Docno said:

Youi need to travel more. A couple of weeks back, I paid the equivalent of more than Bt2000 for a 1L bottle of Absolute vodka in Singapore.

Singapore does not want to be overwhelmed by a swarm of boozed soaked cheap charlies...

Where does he get the idea that there are no MP's? Seems to me that there is a functioning parliament with the correct amount of MP's.

Albeit, 7 of them were recently investigated for poor attendance, but the rest of the house seems to be working and passing laws.

Yes, some would say that they are not elected, but they are what the people need & deserve, as when they were able to elect their MP's, in the past

they overwhelmingly chose the largest pack jokers, ripe with corrupt practices, that they eventually needed to be removed, like a fast

spreading cancer, unfortunately, not soon enough, as much damage had already been perpetrated against the country.

Maybe in a few more years, the general public may have another chance to elect a proper responsible government, that woks for the people,

but I highly doubt that they have learned anything from past mistakes, and will just continue down the same path.

Already I have refused to pay the prices of some bars in central Bangkok. As a tourist, I would agree with some comments relating to the tourists taking the Thai more than 20% of GDP to Cambodia as it is a more interesting culture with an older history while harrowing in it's recent past. This Junta need to be careful they do not rattle peoples cages too much. 2 friends of mine who have been coming regularly to Pattaya for many years are so preturbed by the level of violence in Pattya and the talk of a crackdown on the red light district; Which is the reason they come to Thailand.
They have no interest in what has been touted as " beautiful Thailand" this place is hot, humid and sticky. The canals stink and you cannot bathe in a river or a lake, Fukashima is dealing with the seas.
There are really beautiful and historic places closer to Europe than Thailand which are cheap. Turkey being one. A clean and beautiful land and people. Any foreigner can buy a house there and own it without the protectionist, unjust and raciest laws which are in Thailand. If Thailand loses it's tourism trade I will be the first to say horray. Beer and food are cheap also!
No sex trade needed. The heat is bearable as the moisture is less so less humid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Some say it could raise the price a lot while the authorities say it won't, Daily News reported.

And who would you believe. Time will tell but they always seem to be attacking the pleasures of the working class. Credit to this guy for speaking out. An education summons more than likely on the way. 

Edited by elgordo38

11 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

, Fukashima is dealing with the seas.

A little research will show you just how important and dangerous this statement is. Check some of the flow patterns put out by NOAA. Your not getting the whole truth on this disaster to frightening. 

This no justification, logical or otherwise, to single out a particular element of society, and tax it more heavily than others. Drinkers are human beings too.

Far more logical is an "air" or "water" tax instead. Only then would we have  true democracy.

Perhaps it is necessary to raise taxes to pay for our leaders and their retainers, but it is not necessary that this burden be spread around unevenly.

If the government of the day felt constrained by basic concepts of fairness, all liquor taxes would be removed immediately. Go to it!

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

Reading between the lines, He probably

is part owner in a bar and is afraid He may

lose some money.

Give the guy a B+ for bravery anyways. If you do not beat your own drum nobody else will. Nice handle little mary sunshine. 

7 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

People are already going elswhere

10 hours ago, iforget said:

Wrong target. It's not booze that should be taxed. It's the rich. Yeah. I know. Not gonna happen. Ever.

Better be careful what you wish for here. In Thailand us Farlangs are considered as the idle rich. It could backfire on us.

8 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Already I have refused to pay the prices of some bars in central Bangkok. As a tourist, I would agree with some comments relating to the tourists taking the Thai more than 20% of GDP to Cambodia as it is a more interesting culture with an older history while harrowing in it's recent past. This Junta need to be careful they do not rattle peoples cages too much. 2 friends of mine who have been coming regularly to Pattaya for many years are so preturbed by the level of violence in Pattya and the talk of a crackdown on the red light district; Which is the reason they come to Thailand.
They have no interest in what has been touted as " beautiful Thailand" this place is hot, humid and sticky. The canals stink and you cannot bathe in a river or a lake, Fukashima is dealing with the seas.
There are really beautiful and historic places closer to Europe than Thailand which are cheap. Turkey being one. A clean and beautiful land and people. Any foreigner can buy a house there and own it without the protectionist, unjust and raciest laws which are in Thailand. If Thailand loses it's tourism trade I will be the first to say horray. Beer and food are cheap also!
No sex trade needed. The heat is bearable as the moisture is less so less humid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You seriously suggest Turkey as alternative to Thailand? 

With Erdogan, a president who makes Prayut look like a docile lamb?!? Go and have your fun there, as long as it lasts. We won't be following you.