Koh Tao murders: David Miller family confident Thai court "made correct decision" by upholding guilty verdict

webfact

Miller family: Killers can now reflect on their horrific crimes in jail

The parents of Jerseyman David Miller, who was killed in Thailand in 2014, say they are confident the court has "made the correct decision" by upholding a guilty verdict in the trial into his murder.

Two Burmese men, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, were convicted of the murder of David and the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge in 2015.

A Court of Appeal in Thailand upheld the guilty verdict handed down to the pair.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo will now have time in jail to reflect on their horrific crimes.

– STATEMENT BY THE MILLER FAMILY

Speaking about the decision, the Miller family have said they believe the "Thai police have found the killers" and "the Thai court process has been visibly very fair and effective."

Full story: http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-03-01/parents-of-david-miller-thai-court-made-correct-decision-in-upholding-guilty-verdict/

-- itv 2017-03-02

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing they just want some kind of closure, which is understandable, but equally that doesn't mean justice has been done.

Edited by Wiggy

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Closure - no such thing. It never leaves. And how could someone being convicted of the death of a loved one make any difference ?

http://hopehospice.com/our-services/helpful-information/does-closure-end-the-grief-process/

OK, perhaps the thought of someone being found guilty of the crime helps their "healing" (as per the linked article). The article does state that there is something called closure, but that it doesn't necessarily mean you will ever forget the loss of a loved one. That's not what I meant either. I was implying that this (injustice) might help them move on, but of course they'll never forget.

Speaking about the decision, the Miller family have said they believe the "Thai police have found the killers" and "the Thai court process has been visibly very fair and effective."

Amazing they could even say this.  Other than the last part.  Effective at finding a scapegoat for the crime.

They sat through the court case they chose to make their own mind up instead of listening to convicted criminal Andy Hall and his bunch of activists and journalist who were only willing to report one side of the story.

30 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

They sat through the court case they chose to make their own mind up instead of listening to convicted criminal Andy Hall and his bunch of activists and journalist who were only willing to report one side of the story.

A courtcase, in which they didn't understand a word and which was probably "translated" to them by officialdom.

I would bet, they would come to very different "conclusions", if they were not personally involved!

...like about 99% of all outside- spectators of this case, except you and few of your exclusive circle of ....easily misinformed people...

1 hour ago, DiscoDan said:

Oh, that's right. The fact that the DNA on the murder weapon didn't belong to the Burmese lads is irrelevant, obviously. That one thing, right there, shows that conviction "beyond a reasonable doubt" shouldn't have been possible. And the Miller family are obviously all fluent in Thai. 

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Oh dear, they really have been blindfolded haven't they.

I don't blame them at all, they are not experts - they are just ordinary people believing what they have been told - some people here with more experience know differently, I am 100% sure that if someone in the Millar family circle had been involved in the police or justice system in the UK they would not be of the same opinion  

If you check Andrew MacGregor Marshall's Facebook he claims to have evidence that Miller's family were paid off, they accepted money to publicly say they support the guilty verdict. 

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Oh dear, they really have been blindfolded haven't they.

I think you'll find that statement from the Millers has been taken out of time and context.

It may have been made after the initial finding, but there is nothing in recent news articles to say it was made after the (losing) appeal.

Creative journalism?

Some may say Fake News.

10 minutes ago, jspill said:

If you check Andrew MacGregor Marshall's Facebook he claims to have evidence that Miller's family were paid off, they accepted money to publicly say they support the guilty verdict. 

Unlike the Miller family, the sister of murdered Hannah Witheridge does not speak of marvellous Thai justice or officialdom. She in fact claims that she and her family were offered bribe money to shut up about the case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/12093087/Sister-of-murdered-British-tourist-Hannah-Witheridge-attacks-bungling-Thai-police.html

Of course we don't believe her. She is obviously lying (ahem ...). We all know that the Millers' version of amazingly fair and transparent Thai 'justice' is much more likely to be true (cough, cough)!

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Unlike the Miller family, the sister of murdered Hannah Witheridge does not speak of marvellous Thai justice or officialdom. She in fact claims that she and her family were offered bribe money to shut up about the case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/12093087/Sister-of-murdered-British-tourist-Hannah-Witheridge-attacks-bungling-Thai-police.html

Of course we don't believe her. She is obviously lying (ahem ...). We all know that the Millers' version of amazingly fair and transparent Thai 'justice' is much more likely to be true (cough, cough)!

From your article:

She described the investigation into the brutal killings of her sister and David Miller in Sept 2014 as “bungled” and alleged that the "vast majority" of Thai police are corrupt. The Thai authorities have denied such accusations.

Miss Witheridge claimed that she had received death threats and that her family was offered money to keep quiet after the murders. She accused the Thai authorities of “covering-up” the killings of other Western tourists on Koh Tao.

8 minutes ago, Trentham said:

After all that has been written and all the evidence that is contrary to the verdict they still claim the the boys are guilty. It tends to detract from the sympathy I felt for the family.

I so agree with you!

Have a look at my previous post - Post no. 18. It may clarify things a little bit. Equally, look at Craigt's Post no. 19. 

Powerful stuff - but the norm for Thailand. 

Edited by Eligius

5 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

could you please elaborate on  "convicted criminal Andy Hall"  

'... the Miller family have said they believe the "Thai police have found the killers" and "the Thai court process has been visibly very fair and effective."'

They must have been observing a different set of proceedings to those we've been witnessing/reading about here. I wonder how genuinely confident they are in their belief?

4 hours ago, smedly said:

I don't blame them at all, they are not experts - they are just ordinary people believing what they have been told - some people here with more experience know differently, I am 100% sure that if someone in the Millar family circle had been involved in the police or justice system in the UK they would not be of the same opinion  

Probably more accurate to say that they wanted to believe what they were told. 

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Amazing they could even say this.  Other than the last part.  Effective at finding a scapegoat for the crime.

dont believe everything the press print or better still dont believe anything the press print.:coffee1:

3 hours ago, Encid said:

I think you'll find that statement from the Millers has been taken out of time and context.

It may have been made after the initial finding, but there is nothing in recent news articles to say it was made after the (losing) appeal.

Creative journalism?

Some may say Fake News.

If that's true this is appalling journalism and tv reporting. Can this be verified? Anyone? 

no such thing as a fair trial in Thailand, accused has no rights, and is presumed guilty and the entire process is tilted against him/her. Throw in the obviously bungled police investigation, dodgy DNA, a whole bunch of lies and deceit. Those two boys never had a hope, and it's quite plain to see why.

Hopefully the next step is taken to bring whatever justice is possible to this gong show mess.

It's quite concerning when the facts of this capital case DO NOT support a conviction. This is nothing short of barbaric.