Can wife take foreign freehold condo?

rick99

I'm recently legally married and believed that my foreign freehold condo purchases were safe as they were purchased well before meeting this lady.  Clear paper trail.  Is there any way that these properties can be sold or mortgages without my knowledge or permission?

Also wondering about cars in my name.  Any preventative measures needed.  

On 02/03/2017 at 9:57 AM, Langsuan Man said:

No

Not quite sure you are correct there. I certainly have heard of instances where signatures were forged and "co-operation" from a person in the right position can achieve all types of results.

Keep all docs. in a bank or whatever seems sound advice.

PS. Appoligise, just noticed you were talking a " foreign " condo. From my experience in my own country ....it would e impossible.

Edited by dotpoom

Your possessions pre marriage are quite safe .Assuming nothing illegal regarding your signature .See the current case of BBC  reporter Jonathan Head.

However If you sold the condo after marriage and purchased a new one that would be post marriage and subject to 50/50 split on divorce .

Don't forget as most foreigners do her possessions are also subject to 50/50 purchased in her name or jointly after marriage

Although there are some adverse comments about mistrust on tv  you are quite correct in checking your legal position and more foreigners should do this preferably prior to marriage.

12 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Your possessions pre marriage are quite safe .Assuming nothing illegal regarding your signature .See the current case of BBC  reporter Jonathan Head.

However If you sold the condo after marriage and purchased a new one that would be post marriage and subject to 50/50 split on divorce .

Don't forget as most foreigners do her possessions are also subject to 50/50 purchased in her name or jointly after marriage

Although there are some adverse comments about mistrust on tv  you are quite correct in checking your legal position and more foreigners should do this preferably prior to marriage.

Until a judge decide the contrary, even if it is against the law. It already happened and will happen again OF COURSE.

On 2/3/2560 at 9:26 AM, rick99 said:

I'm recently legally married and believed that my foreign freehold condo purchases were safe as they were purchased well before meeting this lady.

You are right in the fact that your property(s) are safe....however the earnings from them (if you rent them) are not safe. Purchase the property before marriage  SIN SUAN TUA = property belongs to you.

However once married the fruit of SIN SUAN TUA  (whether it be shares, interest or monies earnt through rent etc) must be shared as it is accumulated in marriage.

In practicable terms it is difficult to enforce this (especially with rental) as she would have to get her lawyer to request--then you could change tenant -more request more legal expenses for her.

So it is best --if you are defiantly separating--for you to give some payment, and to have an agreement signed  that puts all that to bed.

2 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

You are right in the fact that your property(s) are safe....however the earnings from them (if you rent them) are not safe. Purchase the property before marriage  SIN SUAN TUA = property belongs to you.

However once married the fruit of SIN SUAN TUA  (whether it be shares, interest or monies earnt through rent etc) must be shared as it is accumulated in marriage.

In practicable terms it is difficult to enforce this (especially with rental) as she would have to get her lawyer to request--then you could change tenant -more request more legal expenses for her.

So it is best --if you are defiantly separating--for you to give some payment, and to have an agreement signed  that puts all that to bed.

........then you can both go your separate ways and repeat all the mistakes again.--Just joking hope the whole thing isn't to much of a stress.

Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand. ~ Shinichi Suzuki

50 minutes ago, jippytum said:

And make sure that you make a prenuptial agreement, clearly describing your asset status before the marriage and also that whatever you purchase in your name during the marriage will remain yours.  This document has to be made in Thai and in your language, also mentioning that your wife clearly understands the content.  This has to be signed by the one who writes the contract ( can be the Consul at your Embassy), yourself, your wife and 2 witness.  Of course you also have it all legalized.

I am always amazed how folks can get married on the understanding that this is always mine and that's yours so you cannot get my things if we separate.

With this arrangement it appears to be little love & cherish in the relationship ....    it just doesn't seem to be an honest and caring joint commitment.

I'm also surprised that any lady would want to marry a man who imposes such requirements ....    just  my opinion ..  

Rule 1: Never put more money into Thailand than you can afford to lose.

Rule 2: Make sure you are worth more to your wife/GF alive than dead.

Rule 3: Money brings out the worst in people.

Rule 4: When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.

If you are a round, of course she can't sell away your condominium but if you are no more in this word, sure she can by using the illegal marriage in Thailand as a wife.

For the car, if you still in Thailand, if very difficult for her to sell away but still have a possibility. If you are not in Thailand, sure she can easily sell it with out the blue book and what she need is only the copy of the vehicle, copy of your passport, Thai marriage certificate and the proof that you have left Thailand. ( this are the few copy that we always keep in the vehicle and is also easy to check/confirm with the local immigration as a Thai wife ). Last thing is! If She is a devio, she can also very easy to " call off the marriage " without your signature in the local amour. This have happened to one of my friend when he gone back to work in Findland for just six months, when he is back to Thailand again to look for his Thai wife, he found out that she have a new Thai husband and evething have gone. Anything can be happen in Thailand as this is a amazing Thailand. As for local Thai, they are always protected..........

I am always amazed how folks can get married on the understanding that this is always mine and that's yours so you cannot get my things if we separate.

With this arrangement it appears to be little love & cherish in the relationship ....    it just doesn't seem to be an honest and caring joint commitment.

I'm also surprised that any lady would want to marry a man who imposes such requirements ....    just  my opinion ..  

That's is true, we need to be trust and trust our Thai wife as this is the means of love and that's why I took 6 years to trust and understanding her before I makeup my mind to get married with her in Thailand till today ( 6 years as girlfriend and 18 years as my wife, total 24 years together ) that's why we can stay/live together very happy with our children's.

I always advice my foreigners friend, not to get a younger girl if you are old, give yourself more time to understand her to build up the trust and also we must have a strong financial to support her in the future, And only if you have all this, then you can have a good and happy ending with your Thai family in Thailand. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Exactly.

They want a clear route to posession of the man's property.

I am surprised that any man would want to marry a female that was not bringing equal equity into the marriage. Lying on their backs, through their mouths and smiling just do not hack it.

Only if they have a similar amount of skin in the game are they going to put hard work into a relationship. 

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

Believe the case reported by BBC was about signature in a Thai Company Limited-registration, and as you don't need to be there in person, it's amazing (alarming) easy to get away with a false signature...:whistling:
–And as in most places, it's also a question of trust...

38 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

That's is true, we need to be trust and trust our Thai wife as this is the means of love and that's why I took 6 years to trust and understanding her before I makeup my mind to get married with her in Thailand till today ( 6 years as girlfriend and 18 years as my wife, total 24 years together ) that's why we can stay/live together very happy with our children's.

I always advice my foreigners friend, not to get a younger girl if you are old, give yourself more time to understand her to build up the trust and also we must have a strong financial to support her in the future, And only if you have all this, then you can have a good and happy ending with your Thai family in Thailand. Cheers

I pursued a similar path to you and 20 years on my wife and I are both happy.  I consider myself lucky and not in the majority.  The numbers of unsuccessful marriages outnumber the successful.  If one of my kids were to approach for advice, be it to a Thai or Farang , I would advise a pre nuptal agreement.  Even with the best of intentions the likelihood that things will go bad are higher than that they will go good.  If the prospective partner can not understand that logic then they would be better served by looking for another partner.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I think once you have experienced a financial screwing at the hands of someone you thought loved you, your opinion would change.

Thai law is much more sensible than Western laws, which heavily favour the female after just one year of cohabitation, let alone marriage.

Honest and caring JOINT commitments in Thailand? The imbalance between falang finances and Thai female resources makes that a fairly improbable proposition.

Romantics sometimes have a very rude awakening.

My biggest dislike of people who start threads which seem to be sort of genuine is they never reply to questions asked. I therefore ammendments my genuine statement to oh here we go another thread started for the thai women haters.. my view Mr OP recently legally married!! Why bother if the first question you ask is this. Sound basis for marriage NOT.

MR JIMHILL why would someone saying  why marry if you don't trust her be a "Naive" statement.? Prey enlighten us.

Make sure you are  worth more alive than dead.

In my case my wife would be better off if i were dead.

After 3 years of putting up with my moaning since my accident, i think i am safe.   :cheesy:

OP why are you not answering questions??? What you scared of??

3 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

Guess you werent living close to family then when living together as gf/bf.? Or didnt live together at all?

Next is, as you start talking, or even she, about marriage, sinsod pops up. One very important thing in Thailand.

Can be a killer for your planned marriage.

I know by hard ways, your partner can change her mind just like that. Love, what love has got to do with that?

What is love?

You maybe still feel love, but your partner is about to ruin you.

When the change pops up, like a silent killer, and then war starts running. You not understanding where it comes from.

All promises ever made for and into marriage , just down the drain. Marriage is for the woman, a legal way of screwing you at

changing point. She changes to a monster, which you never saw before. 

Ive seen, heard, lived many stories about the change. You are lucky if the change doesnt occur.

Im jealous on those people, who can have that nice commitment working and think maybe its rare.

Nowadays with soooo many separations/divorces, its good to protect yourself in prenups, or then even better dont marry.

Though it also happens when you are bf/gf or then even close after marriage.

It's a weird thing , as Queen song "a crazy little thing called love"

Guess you werent living close to family then when living together as gf/bf.? Or didnt live together at all?
Next is, as you start talking, or even she, about marriage, sinsod pops up. One very important thing in Thailand.
Can be a killer for your planned marriage.

I know by hard ways, your partner can change her mind just like that. Love, what love has got to do with that?
What is love?
You maybe still feel love, but your partner is about to ruin you.
When the change pops up, like a silent killer, and then war starts running. You not understanding where it comes from.
All promises ever made for and into marriage , just down the drain. Marriage is for the woman, a legal way of screwing you at
changing point. She changes to a monster, which you never saw before. 
Ive seen, heard, lived many stories about the change. You are lucky if the change doesnt occur.
Im jealous on those people, who can have that nice commitment working and think maybe its rare.
Nowadays with soooo many separations/divorces, its good to protect yourself in prenups, or then even better dont marry.
Though it also happens when you are bf/gf or then even close after marriage.
It's a weird thing , as Queen song "a crazy little thing called love"

Let's me share with you "what is Love". Is to forgive and forget, is to trust each other, is to give what I can and never ask for a return, is never regret and many many ..............

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Make sure you are  worth more alive than dead.

In my case my wife would be better off if i were dead.

After 3 years of putting up with my moaning since my accident, i think i am safe.   :cheesy:

OP why are you not answering questions??? What you scared of??

Perhaps she has fallen in love with your charm, good looks and intelligence.

A prenup in Thailand does not protect assets gained or earned after marriage. Primarily, it's best use is to list property that was acquired before marriage, so that when a divorce happens there is no query about existing assets.

The reason for this is that Thai law is very specific about the division of assets upon divorce, and a contract or agreement cannot supersede statute law.

18 hours ago, sandemara said:

Pre-nups are easily available in Thailand

How would advice on a pre-nup help this persons present situation ?

You do know the meaning of Pre-nup

Pre = before

Nup ( nuptials ) = Marriage .

Pre-nup = before marriage