Rejected Entry to Thailand because lack of funds (METV)

Just wanted to make people aware that you should have 20,000b on your persons when entering Thailand on a SETV or METV.

My friend failed to bring that amount and failed to show proof of onward ticket and he was not let into Thailand. Offical reason for refused entry was lack of funds for holiday (was stamped in his passport).

Full story: http://afarangabroad.com/2017/03/friend-got-refused-entry-thailand-feb-2017/

• Like 1

i read the article/link and maybe missed this info.  where did his flight originate ? and was his entry an in/out type of thing (flew out in the am and returned in the pm, same day ?).

i flew in on a visa exempt entry on jan 30 (from MNL, where i stayed 5 nts after being in thailand for 90 days - SETV plus ext).  i was asked for proof of onward travel by thai airways at check-in MNL.  i had a trip to HKG planned so i had that info.  no check money (but i was carrying 700USD).

i left on feb 11 for HKG and returned on feb 28 for a visa exempt entry.  because i was asked about onward travel for the MNL trip, i bought a throwaway ticket on air asia.  but i was not asked for onward travel proof at check-in HKG or any money (still had the 700USD with me).

the denial seems a bit strange as getting the METV usually requires a letter from employer and proof of funds in the bank.

He came from a holiday in Japan so it was not an in/out thing.  They said he had stayed too long in Thailand (1.5 years) and he should not be here amongst other things during the whole process.

Edited by Harry198
adding more.

He came from a holiday in Japan so it was not an in/out thing.  They said he had stayed too long in Thailand (1.5 years) and he should not be here amongst other things during the whole process.

When was his last trip into thailand before this denial? Has he ever overstayed before?

Can you upload snapshot of the denial stamp and of the visa page if possible?

His last trip into Thailand was a few months ago and he does have a 10 overstay in his passport from before. He got in with this overstay in his passport on his last trip.

I do have the picture of the stamp but my friend rather it not be posted. It states reason for refusal was because he could not show proof of funds, along with the date it happened and signed by an officer. 

i realize the point of the post is to alert people to carry 20,000thb when flying into thailand.  and i do that based on what i read here on TV in the past.  but this seems quite odd, he had to leave the country for awhile to get his METV in home country.  so the 1.5 years in thailand wasn't continuous.  did he fly into DMK ?  i've read some reports of DMK being difficult.

7 minutes ago, buick said:

i realize the point of the post is to alert people to carry 20,000thb when flying into thailand.  and i do that based on what i read here on TV in the past.  but this seems quite odd, he had to leave the country for awhile to get his METV in home country.  so the 1.5 years in thailand wasn't continuous.  did he fly into DMK ?  i've read some reports of DMK being difficult.

The link in the OP says this was Suvarnabhumi. The guy's nationality was New Zealand too, which makes this even more unusual. Like you, I find this quite surprising. I am wondering if we have a bit of a mangled report here. Could it be that the guy had been previously in Thailand on an METV, and was now coming in visa exempt with many visa exempt entries in the past? Even then, I would expect immigration at Suvarnabhumi to admit him after, perhaps, a bit of a grilling. Odd.

Indeed flagged for 1.5 years on tourist visas. Not surprised he was detailed questioned. Onward or return ticket is rather important.to have.
  • Like 1

Everyone knows that a return or onward ticket is very important unless you have the right type of visa.  If you're travelling on any form of tourist visa be prepared to show a return/onward ticket .    

8 hours ago, balo said:

Everyone knows that a return or onward ticket is very important unless you have the right type of visa.  If you're travelling on any form of tourist visa be prepared to show a return/onward ticket .    

Not always practical.

My wife and I travel a lot without onward/return tickets as we make decisions on the spot where to go next. Our visit to Thailand last year was for 2 months and we came with only a few thousand baht and our cards as we always do. We never carry much cash around, just cards and enough for a taxi.

Never been questioned at immigration and never been turned away. Maybe it is just a certain type of traveler they look for and leave us walking wounded and living dead alone. Or is it just respect for the elderly?

Jesus I just read the article and he arrived with just 2k cash? Credit cards are a big gamble, the issuing country can stop them being used if they suspect fraud which is usually use in a another country . And the machine can and does chew them up.
Got to say I would have turned him away

If you travel abroad, it is wise to tell your bank which countries you are visiting so that they know you will be withdrawing cash there. It only takes a phone call.

Also, we use currency cards,. Dead easy to use, no fraud possible and able to withdraw cash at any ATM machine or bank.

We just withdraw money as we need it.

I see. Why didn't they allow use of the card at the airport?

ld news

At least a year ago some land border posts were requiring travelers crossing to show 20,000 Baht from Malaysia to Thailand.

And to get a SETV from some consulates it is required to show evidence of such a sum before they will issue you that visa.

For example Ho Chi Minh City requires Proof of Funds to live to issue a SETV

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment

Not always practical.

My wife and I travel a lot without onward/return tickets as we make decisions on the spot where to go next. Our visit to Thailand last year was for 2 months and we came with only a few thousand baht and our cards as we always do. We never carry much cash around, just cards and enough for a taxi.

Never been questioned at immigration and never been turned away. Maybe it is just a certain type of traveler they look for and leave us walking wounded and living dead alone. Or is it just respect for the elderly?

Yes, the requirements are not always practical, but be prepared to face the consequences if you don't meet the requirements.

sent using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

The link in the OP says this was Suvarnabhumi. The guy's nationality was New Zealand too, which makes this even more unusual. Like you, I find this quite surprising. I am wondering if we have a bit of a mangled report here. Could it be that the guy had been previously in Thailand on an METV, and was now coming in visa exempt with many visa exempt entries in the past? Even then, I would expect immigration at Suvarnabhumi to admit him after, perhaps, a bit of a grilling. Odd.

If he was from China on a 'free visa' because a 1000 Baht savings was critical to pulling off his trip, perhaps he would have undergone less scrutiny :-/ .

But consider, in addition to not having the required funds, he had OVERSTAYED before.  That is the equivalent of spitting in the eyes of immigration, nowadays.  Don't do it, folks.  And if you already did, be prepared to have every possible requirement precisely-met upon entry.  Also, if you are a frequent visitor, or have spent significant blocks of time here - expect to be questioned. 

I never enter Thailand at an airport due to the seeming randomness of policies - but, so far, no one who had the cash + a valid visa has been denied that we know of (excepting those who were blacklisted).  If I am ever "the one" who reports this occurring, I'd prefer to be making that report from a comfy guesthouse in a neighboring country - not in detention awaiting a flight to somewhere I do not want to go.

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

ld news

At least a year ago some land border posts were requiring travelers crossing to show 20,000 Baht from Malaysia to Thailand.

A report from a few days ago shows that Pedang Besar - one of the friendliest border crossings to Malaysia - requested to see 20K Baht for someone entering with a valid Tourist-Visa.  The Sadao crossing has done this for some time or has been reported to have requested a little something extra to overlook it's absence.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

If he was from China on a 'free visa' because a 1000 Baht savings was critical to pulling off his trip, perhaps he would have undergone less scrutiny :-/ .

But consider, in addition to not having the required funds, he had OVERSTAYED before.  That is the equivalent of spitting in the eyes of immigration, nowadays.  Don't do it, folks.  And if you already did, be prepared to have every possible requirement precisely-met upon entry.  Also, if you are a frequent visitor, or have spent significant blocks of time here - expect to be questioned. 

I never enter Thailand at an airport due to the seeming randomness of policies - but, so far, no one who had the cash + a valid visa has been denied that we know of (excepting those who were blacklisted).  If I am ever "the one" who reports this occurring, I'd prefer to be making that report from a comfy guesthouse in a neighboring country - not in detention awaiting a flight to somewhere I do not want to go.

A report from a few days ago shows that Pedang Besar - one of the friendliest border crossings to Malaysia - requested to see 20K Baht for someone entering with a valid Tourist-Visa.  The Sadao crossing has done this for some time or has been reported to have requested a little something extra to overlook it's absence.

If you go into that link and read the blogs, he is by far not the only one that has been rejected and questioned. No doubt things are being tightened but your just not hearing about them on here. Take a look on the web and have a read around. There are far more rejections occurring than you would imagine. The one being used frequently is now too many tourist visas on a back to back basis and the assumption people are working here even when they can prove they aren't. Lots of people have now changed there pattern to doing 3 months in and 3 months out to break it up.

43 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If you go into that link and read the blogs, he is by far not the only one that has been rejected and questioned. No doubt things are being tightened but your just not hearing about them on here. Take a look on the web and have a read around. There are far more rejections occurring than you would imagine. The one being used frequently is now too many tourist visas on a back to back basis and the assumption people are working here even when they can prove they aren't. Lots of people have now changed there pattern to doing 3 months in and 3 months out to break it up.

A "too many tourist visas back-to-back" is not a valid reason for rejecting entry.  I have not read that site's blog, but have yet to read a reported case here where the person entering had a valid visa, showed the cash upon initial questioning, and was rejected.  I have heard cases of "I have it in the bank, ..." etc.  I would not be surprised if someone saying they intended to work in Thailand was denied.

People need to recognize, if questioning begins, the object is to deny entry, not "help you" meet the criteria for entry.  Frequent and/or long-term stayers should be prepared for questioning.  Don't hand them a sword (metaphorically-speaking).  Have the cash and show it immediately.  Have a place to stay arranged, docs to prove it, and show these immediately.  Have an explanation for what you intend to do in Thailand over the next month or so.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A "too many tourist visas back-to-back" is not a valid reason for rejecting entry.  I have not read that site's blog, but have yet to read a reported case here where the person entering had a valid visa, showed the cash upon initial questioning, and was rejected.  I have heard cases of "I have it in the bank, ..." etc.  I would not be surprised if someone saying they intended to work in Thailand was denied.

People need to recognize, if questioning begins, the object is to deny entry, not "help you" meet the criteria for entry.  Frequent and/or long-term stayers should be prepared for questioning.  Don't hand them a sword (metaphorically-speaking).  Have the cash and show it immediately.  Have a place to stay arranged, docs to prove it, and show these immediately.  Have an explanation for what you intend to do in Thailand over the next month or so.

I believe it could be under the assumption that your 'Living here' under the wrong visa which in turn puts into there mind your working illegally. I know for a fact many people are asking immigration why they have so much hassle over paperwork and funds when trying to do marriage and retirement extensions when others continue to be issued with Tourist visas for ever, having to prove very little and have no problems. Maybe immigration have started to look at it. You have probably a copy of the immigration act here. There is certainly enough there you could be rejected for if they have a mind too do it with very little problem or proof needed.

Immigration_Act.pdf

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I believe it could be under the assumption that your 'Living here' under the wrong visa which in turn puts into there mind your working illegally. I know for a fact many people are asking immigration why they have so much hassle over paperwork and funds when trying to do marriage and retirement extensions when others continue to be issued with Tourist visas for ever, having to prove very little and have no problems. Maybe immigration have started to look at it. You have probably a copy of the immigration act here. There is certainly enough there you could be rejected for if they have a mind too do it with very little problem or proof needed.

Immigration_Act.pdf

It is not the "wrong visa" for people under 50 who do not qualify for another type of visa, can meet the requirements to obtain the visa and show cash on entry, and do not work in Thailand.  Recall the limit of 2 Visa Exempts at land-borders.  The authorities have created no such limit on the use of Tourist Visas.  I suspect this is because they have internal-numbers showing how many condos we rent + the significant amount of capital we spend into the Thai economy from overseas sources.

It is unfortunate that a better visa-choice is not created for those who are under 50 and can afford to live here.  They could bring much, much more money into Thailand with a reasonable scheme for the millions with moderate online and/or offshore incomes ("rich" by Thai median-income standards).  As long as Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, and the whole of Latin America have reasonable offers available, market-forces and "missing" Thai visa offerings mean that many under-50s will not be spending their foreign-sourced capital in Thailand.

It is also unfortunate that those applying for marriage and retirement extensions seem to be herded into using fixers agents to funnel tea-money at some offices.  Any "bad guy" could jump through the hoops for either - especially with agents who even front fake-bank balances for their clients.  But this has nothing to do with Tourist Visa folks, who don't get their visas at local immigration offices.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the requirements are not always practical, but be prepared to face the consequences if you don't meet the requirements.

sent using Tapatalk

The problem arises when the "requirements" are not lawful or written down anywhere.

Nowhere does it state that there has to be a minimum amount of cash on a person entering Thailand. It is left to the discretion of the immigration officer.

Wonderful........I have had a bad day, the wife has run off with the dog, my kids hate me, what the hell...I will take it out on some farangs coming into the country.

Joking apart, I can see the immigration officers point of view and that is why I said that they must have some sort of person in mind when they stop and refuse entry. Young single people with very little money = someone who will look for illegal work to support themselves while in Thailand.

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is not the "wrong visa" for people under 50 who do not qualify for another type of visa, can meet the requirements to obtain the visa and show cash on entry, and do not work in Thailand.  Recall the limit of 2 Visa Exempts at land-borders.  The authorities have created no such limit on the use of Tourist Visas.  I suspect this is because they have internal-numbers showing how many condos we rent + the significant amount of capital we spend into the Thai economy from overseas sources.

It is unfortunate that a better visa-choice is not created for those who are under 50 and can afford to live here.  They could bring much, much more money into Thailand with a reasonable scheme for the millions with moderate online and/or offshore incomes ("rich" by Thai median-income standards).  As long as Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, and the whole of Latin America have reasonable offers available, market-forces and "missing" Thai visa offerings mean that many under-50s will not be spending their foreign-sourced capital in Thailand.

It is also unfortunate that those applying for marriage and retirement extensions seem to be herded into using fixers agents to funnel tea-money at some offices.  Any "bad guy" could jump through the hoops for either - especially with agents who even front fake-bank balances for their clients.  But this has nothing to do with Tourist Visa folks, who don't get their visas at local immigration offices.

This is the problem. You may think it's the correct Visa for living here but quite clearly it isn't or they may just as well get rid of absolutely everything else and we all carry on with Tourist visas. IMO, very shortly your only option to stay here under 50 yrs old is to either get married, the TE visa or an investment.I'll take money it that it happens before Christmas 2017?  :smile:

11 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

This is the problem. You may think it's the correct Visa for living here but quite clearly it isn't or they may just as well get rid of absolutely everything else and we all carry on with Tourist visas. IMO, very shortly your only option to stay here under 50 yrs old is to either get married, the TE visa or an investment.I'll take money it that it happens before Christmas 2017?  :smile:

I doubt those on the other visa-options would be willing to go to the trouble to obtain tourist visas every 3 months.  The inability to extend one's tourist-visa in-country beyond one 30 day extension is pushing many into Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, Latin America, etc.  It's a fair guess that most retirees and married folks would be gone if they had to work as hard to stay legal in Thailand as those of us on Tourist Visas do.  Our efforts show how much we love Thailand.

How about, if I loose the bet, you and the others cheering to stop under 50s who cannot burn 500K baht (every 5 years) from staying, send a TE-visa's worth of cash to a Thai family who lost their farang supporter?  They (and many more) will need the help, if we are denied a legal way to stay here.  But I guess the TE profiteers feel they need the money, more - and likely lobby to close off other options, regardless of the harm it does to their countrymen.  Perhaps if 10,000 Thai families are harmed, to sell one new TE to a farang who will eventually end up homeless and broke, it is worth it to them.

18 hours ago, Flustered said:

The problem arises when the "requirements" are not lawful or written down anywhere.

Nowhere does it state that there has to be a minimum amount of cash on a person entering Thailand. It is left to the discretion of the immigration officer.

Wonderful........I have had a bad day, the wife has run off with the dog, my kids hate me, what the hell...I will take it out on some farangs coming into the country.

Joking apart, I can see the immigration officers point of view and that is why I said that they must have some sort of person in mind when they stop and refuse entry. Young single people with very little money = someone who will look for illegal work to support themselves while in Thailand.

10 years ago when I first applied for a Visa to LOS I had to show 20,000 baht - so it's in the regulations somewhere.

Edited by Evilbaz

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I doubt those on the other visa-options would be willing to go to the trouble to obtain tourist visas every 3 months.  The inability to extend one's tourist-visa in-country beyond one 30 day extension is pushing many into Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, Latin America, etc.  It's a fair guess that most retirees and married folks would be gone if they had to work as hard to stay legal in Thailand as those of us on Tourist Visas do.  Our efforts show how much we love Thailand.

How about, if I loose the bet, you and the others cheering to stop under 50s who cannot burn 500K baht (every 5 years) from staying, send a TE-visa's worth of cash to a Thai family who lost their farang supporter?  They (and many more) will need the help, if we are denied a legal way to stay here.  But I guess the TE profiteers feel they need the money, more - and likely lobby to close off other options, regardless of the harm it does to their countrymen.  Perhaps if 10,000 Thai families are harmed, to sell one new TE to a farang who will eventually end up homeless and broke, it is worth it to them.

Where are you getting the notion that somebody on a PE visa is going to eventually be homeless and broke?