Atorvastatin and allopurinol

The Dancer

I pay 2 baht each for 100mg Allopurinol but have removed from foil so not sure of maker.

I pay 21.66 baht each for 40mg Chlovas brand atorvastatin (and cut in half for my 20mg need).

Believe recent post that Atorsan is available and should be cheapest atorvastatin.

Edited by lopburi3

"Puride" brand allopurinol 100 mg, 10 tablets for 8 baht.

Cheaper than atorvastatin is simvastatin - though you need to double the dose (i.e. 20 mg rather than 10 mg).  "Bestatin" brand simvastatin 40 mg, 10 tablets for 30 baht.

47 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Simvastatin is cheaper yes - but it is not the same medication.

True.  However, it's chemically in the same group with an identical mechanism of action.  For the vast majority of people it will work perfectly adequately at a fraction of the cost.  Unfortunately, doctors tend to prefer to go with the latest medicines which are more profitable for the manufacturers and so more heavily marketed.  If the OP hasn't tried simvastatin and there isn't some specific reason for his/her not using it, then it would be an obvious means of cost reduction.  Being cautious he/she should probably discuss this with his doctor first, but personally, in his/her circumstances I probably wouldn't bother, then get a liver test a few weeks after, just in case.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

True.  However, it's chemically in the same group with an identical mechanism of action.  For the vast majority of people it will work perfectly adequately at a fraction of the cost.  Unfortunately, doctors tend to prefer to go with the latest medicines which are more profitable for the manufacturers and so more heavily marketed.  If the OP hasn't tried simvastatin and there isn't some specific reason for his/her not using it, then it would be an obvious means of cost reduction.  Being cautious he/she should probably discuss this with his doctor first, but personally, in his/her circumstances I probably wouldn't bother, then get a liver test a few weeks after, just in case.

+ 1

after yrs.on simvastatin 80mg.in the uk.i finally had a double by-pass,then since moving to thailand i went on 40mg.bestatin and cut the tab in half [100tabs.345bht.

last yr.i had 2 stays in goverment hospitals and both tried to sell me atorvastatin.

one problem i do have with statins are joint pain.

On 3/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, lopburi3 said:

Believe recent post that Atorsan is available and should be cheapest atorvastatin.

Update: I went looking for Atorsan at the row of pharmacies opposite the Rajthewi hospital west of Victory Monument. Most knew of it, none had it in stock. No big deal as one place had Atorvastatin 10 mg. tabs. in a box of 30 for 550b. which works out to a very reasonable 18.33b/tab.

However, I am surprised that none of them had Atorsan as those pharmacies are collectively supposed to stock every med under the sun. Anyone know why Atorsan is so hard to find and/or where it's available?

9 hours ago, The Dancer said:

Update: I went looking for Atorsan at the row of pharmacies opposite the Rajthewi hospital west of Victory Monument. Most knew of it, none had it in stock. No big deal as one place had Atorvastatin 10 mg. tabs. in a box of 30 for 550b. which works out to a very reasonable 18.33b/tab.

However, I am surprised that none of them had Atorsan as those pharmacies are collectively supposed to stock every med under the sun. Anyone know why Atorsan is so hard to find and/or where it's available?

Would not consider that especially cheap when one could get price down to 6 baht each by cutting 40Mg Chlovas however.  Pill cutters are not expensive and work quite well.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Would not consider that especially cheap when one could get price down to 6 baht each by cutting 40Mg Chlovas however.  Pill cutters are not expensive and work quite well.

Thanks, good idea. I didn't look for Chlovas yesterday. Will do so next time I am in the vicinity.