Survey: Should beaches be kept clear of paid lounge chairs and vendors?

Scott

Survey: Should beaches be kept clear of paid lounge chairs and vendors?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Survey:  Should beaches be kept clear of paid lounge chairs and vendors?

In the recent past, the Thai government has done various things to clean up the public beaches.   In your opinion should the beaches be kept clear of the paid lounge chairs and vendors who walk around selling various foods and items?

Not sure if you can amend the poll to show the background of the voter. 

There are two opinions poles apart on this subject- one from tourists who see the issue in the 10-14 day envelope whilst they are here on holiday, and long-term residents who see a far bigger picture.

23 minutes ago, robin33 said:

What is the bigger picture?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

The opportunity for the extremely corrupt and criminal element to again take over the beaches for personal profit without thought for ownership, aesthetics or environmental issues.

The inevitable spread of this furniture to cover all of the beach by people who have shown in the past to be incapable of keeping within areas and rules. Previously there were supposed to be only 2 or 3 lines of loungers, but they spread the full length of the beach to the water line.

The abuse and assault of bathers who simply want to sit on the sand and not pay for a bed.

The greed and corruption of those charged with setting and keeping the rules (local Government, Police) who will allow any digression for payment of a fee.

It also shouldn't be forgotten how many were killed and injured by beach furniture when the tsunami swept this debris into people caught up in the wave.  (of course the heavy wooden furniture of that time has been replaced by plastic)

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

There should be another choice which is that chairs should be allowed but in a controlled environment. That is what I'd vote for but won't cast a vote for any of the current three options.

The chairs and vendors on the beach in Pattaya and Jomtien at present are under a controlled environment.

In the last year the army and police have reduced the area of many vendors and are making them stick to their allocated spaces. They have at the same time made much larger areas for the public to sit on there own mats etc. 

I think the beach should be divided into sections with a low profile third of the beach with the amenities for the people who want chairs and vendors.

The older groups don't want to lay on the sand without shade.  There should be beaches in the outer areas that are clean.

beach vendors should be prevented in pattaya and jomtien for standing in front of a mark and blocking out the view of the sea. the tourist is on the beach to see the sea and not the vendor. there was not a place to tick for this on the survey.

Many here don't seem to understand that Phuket has a different style of government to the rest of Thailand.  It's called Mafia!

Many come to the Province with an agenda to create change.  Governors, Army, Navy, Mayors, DSI, Regional Police, etc.

All come to realise who is really in charge and become part of the system. 

(I'm talking about Phuket exclusively because this poll is in the Phuket forum. I may have a different opinion for beaches elsewhere)

Edited by Old Croc

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

There should be another choice which is that chairs should be allowed but in a controlled environment. That is what I'd vote for but won't cast a vote for any of the current three options.

I agree. There should be small clusters of them using clean and undamaged umbrellas. Any vendor threatening tourists for using open stretches of sand should have their permit removed and face a police charge.

I used to frequent Kata Noi when I was staying on Phuket. They used to have

one line of beach chairs and food services set just back on the edge of the

beach. I quite liked it. I really dislike the areas where the chairs/umbrellas

are set 5 deep. One line, the beach exposed to the waters edge, unobstructed

view and water access. A great compromise as far as I am concerned.

I used to frequent Kata Noi when I was staying on Phuket. They used to have
one line of beach chairs and food services set just back on the edge of the
beach. I quite liked it. I really dislike the areas where the chairs/umbrellas
are set 5 deep. One line, the beach exposed to the waters edge, unobstructed
view and water access. A great compromise as far as I am concerned.

I am red , and get burned as soon as I think of the sun.

I love those 5 lines of big umbrella s ( do not know the English name :)) so I can sit with the family

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Here's an idea ... With the granting of rental of sunbeds they should also be required to clean and keep tidy in the granted area. Picking cigarette butts, bottle caps, etc. etc. In my eyes, it looks as if they just sit and laze and talk shit when they get a 10-15 minutes spare time. Or do it before or after the rental period. 9am-5pm?

Skickat från min SM-P600 via Tapatalk

On 3/5/2017 at 1:22 PM, Gonefortea said:

Why change things that work. People want a chair and shade on beach this is supplied already. Very very few are in the rip off business.  Leave them alone.

Yeah ok.

18 hours ago, Grovst said:

Here's an idea ... With the granting of rental of sunbeds they should also be required to clean and keep tidy in the granted area. Picking cigarette butts, bottle caps, etc. etc. In my eyes, it looks as if they just sit and laze and talk shit when they get a 10-15 minutes spare time. Or do it before or after the rental period. 9am-5pm?

Your really crossing a border here into common sense. I try to visualize this but it does not compute

On 3/5/2017 at 9:57 AM, Old Croc said:

The opportunity for the extremely corrupt and criminal element to again take over the beaches for personal profit without thought for ownership, aesthetics or environmental issues.

The inevitable spread of this furniture to cover all of the beach by people who have shown in the past to be incapable of keeping within areas and rules. Previously there were supposed to be only 2 or 3 lines of loungers, but they spread the full length of the beach to the water line.

The abuse and assault of bathers who simply want to sit on the sand and not pay for a bed.

The greed and corruption of those charged with setting and keeping the rules (local Government, Police) who will allow any digression for payment of a fee.

It also shouldn't be forgotten how many were killed and injured by beach furniture when the tsunami swept this debris into people caught up in the wave.  (of course the heavy wooden furniture of that time has been replaced by plastic)

You to  have crossed the border into common sense. There might yet be hope for mankind. 

On 3/5/2017 at 7:04 PM, beechbum said:

Yeah ok.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:04 PM, beechbum said:
  20 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

Why change things that work. People want a chair and shade on beach this is supplied already. Very very few are in the rip off business.  Leave them alone.

You just gotta love the cross thinkers here. 

20 hours ago, jesimps said:

I agree. There should be small clusters of them using clean and undamaged umbrellas. Any vendor threatening tourists for using open stretches of sand should have their permit removed and face a police charge.

Your statement is about right the stumbling block is enforcement. 

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Many here don't seem to understand that Phuket has a different style of government to the rest of Thailand.  It's called Mafia!

Many come to the Province with an agenda to create change.  Governors, Army, Navy, Mayors, DSI, Regional Police, etc.

All come to realise who is really in charge and become part of the system. 

(I'm talking about Phuket exclusively because this poll is in the Phuket forum. I may have a different opinion for beaches elsewhere)

Love your opinion I think your onto to something should the truth be known. But then very few can handle the truth. 

To Elgordo38

I'm sorry but Swedish is my native language and I used Google Translate so my message might not be accurate [emoji54]

But what is it that don't compute?

The translation or my POV?

Some considerations :

The beach for sure is nicer without beach chairs and umbrellas, but many people do need them.

When I was young I used to spend happily whole days on the sand, without any protection or chair.

Now I am older and I do need a chair and a protection: should I be forbidden to go to the beach ?

Also many young families with small children need an umbrella for their babies, the strong sun can be very dangerous for them. Should they spend inside an hotel room the main part of the day ?

For sure in some area there is the chairs mafia : the solution is to prohibit the chairs or to regulate and survey the vendors activity? For the taxi too that there is mafia: should the taxi service be abolished for this reason ?

The chairs guys, at least in Nai Harn, where keeping the beach clean in their area, now where there are no chairs the garbage situation is becoming worse and worse. 

Again in Nai Harn the restaurants table had been removed from the inside area under the trees, now this area is full of parked car (in spite of the availability of a big parking lot near the temple, just one hundred meters from the beach). Is it better a parking lot overlooking the beach, or some bar tables where enjoy a drink or some food ?

My opinion is just to leave some area free and some area with chairs, to survey about any abuse, and to require the chair boys to keep clean their areas.

It looks me so simple.....