DHL broadens logistics reach in Thailand

DHL broadens logistics reach in Thailand

By NOPHAKHUN LIMSAMARNPHUN
THE NATION

293ce3867dab0b555ce224573add8c80.jpeg

Brewer, right, with fellow executives Kiattichai, third from right, and Monteiro.

DHL E-commerce, a unit of Deutsche Post DHL Group, has expanded its logistics service in the Thai market with nationwide coverage and price-competitive business-to-consumer (B2C) international shipping.

There is also pick-up service for small e-commerce merchants and the 2.7 million small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Thailand where online sales are growing rapidly, according to top executives.

Charles Brewer, CEO of DHL E-commerce, said Thailand has a huge growth potential for e-commerce because online sales currently account for only 2 per cent of total retail sales, compared with the global average of 9 per cent.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30307898

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-04

This is actually a bad news. DHL Thailand is the worst courrier, I had only problems with them, they always charge custom fees and they will just block your shippment in BKK until you figure yourself the package is late. Then they ask a wire transfer for the fees and 2 days for verification, when they finally realease the package then just give it to Thailand post because they have no service in Samui. You end with high fees and taxes and a 2 week delay that in not acceptable for an express shippment at this cost. This happen to me several times and one time they even try to charge fee on a gift I get from a partner, when I rejected the delivery they finaly redeliver it free of charge (???). I have only stories like this with them. I really hope major ebusiness will stay away from them.

DHL does seem to do a fine job of insuring customs are collected based on all the posts I've read over the years and my one experience with them.  Expect the Thai Customs Dept appreciates DHL's great work in collecting customs/duties.

DHL intentionally route all of their inbound (Thailand) shipments of parcels etc through Thai customs...then the extortion levying of import duty commences with DHL receiving a back hander from Customs....bore down in amongst it and you will find DHL staff making a shit load more than their monthly salaries

I'm not so sure they are routed through govt customs; instead DHL ensures it does collect customs at a highly efficient rate and pass that money to the govt.  This ensure the govt leaves them alone due to customs money flowing in at a faster and better rate than customs govt employees could ever do, lets the move parcels "very quickly," and meet their delivery times.   All delivery services like DHL claim to fame/BIG advertising point is how fast they can move/deliver things, get through customs in a breeze, etc.   And when I say get through customs in a breeze that does not mean "no collection of customs"; just means they can process customs fast.

Edited by Pib

20 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

DHL intentionally route all of their inbound (Thailand) shipments of parcels etc through Thai customs...then the extortion levying of import duty commences with DHL receiving a back hander from Customs....bore down in amongst it and you will find DHL staff making a shit load more than their monthly salaries

Do you have any evidence that DHL (or indeed any Courier) receives "backhanders" from the Thai Customs Department for Import Duty payments?

It's an oft-quoted urban myth.

If you are charged Import Duty (and VAT of course) on any Import you should receive a Thai Government Official Receipt detailing exactly what has been charged. (OK, if you don't receive that Official Receipt then you should definitely dispute the transaction)

That said however if you receive this Receipt - now a blue form - you can be sure the payment has been properly accounted for in the Customs Department and Revenue Departments records - there is virtually no way these payments can be diverted to the Courier Company, much less an individual on their staff.

The fact is that DHL, UPS, whoever, are COURIER COMPANIES, they make their money on point-to-point Freight and related charges; that's their revenue stream.

When a shipment arrives in Thailand they simply accept the Thai Customs Department calculations of Import Duty and pass it on to you, the Customer. They have absolutely NO interest in disputing these charges, wasting their Staff time and resources - and therefore their own money - with absolutely NO benefit to themselves.

Patrick