Would you buy a pet from a night market?

On 3/5/2017 at 7:21 AM, meatboy said:

go and get a rescue dog,EG SOI FOUNDATION you can be sure they will be disease FREE.

Well said.

But only do it if you going to live here permanently or are willing to pay to take your dog with you when you leave.

Yes, several years ago, bought a couple for my ex and they were wonderful little dogs. Never any health problems, very social dogs, happy, would have loved to have kept them myself. But, we did do a lot of work before deciding on the vendor before buying, was not impulse buying.

If the puppy looks well, sharp eyes no hip problems eats well  &  is over 6 weeks  you are pretty safe.

Sure may have 1 or 2 types of worms (most dogs with other dogs do ) but after a good check up at the vets 

& vaccination you have a good pet. Now the hard work starts training.

Enjoy, they are great companionship  but  remember they are  a long term commitment 

If your lucky and another kind of pet will follow you home more expensive to keep than a dog. Just had to get that one in. I sometimes think dog lovers are another breed patient loving caring and thats OK I had dogs in and out during my lifetime. The best one was a stray the worst a purebred. Here in Thailand I never pass one of these puppy stores they are so cute and adorable but I have had my shots as well. These dogs were not cheap by any stretch.  I hope they all find a good home. I could never partake of man's best friend. Revolts me. 

One of my dog came home as puppy. It came from nowhere and we kept it. The other was found near a forest in no man's land. It was also a puppy. They are now 5 and 2 years with me.

Only my GF comes from night market...  :cheesy:

I bought my Lab 8 years ago from a breeder. Other than an occasional ear infection she is healthy as can be.

Being a Lab she loves everyone and all my neighbors love her and keep feeding her.

Rescue dogs are a good choice, but if you are looking for a good bread a Lab is a good choice.. Good luck..

Used to love having a dog, but do not like them in my bed or on my furniture. So, I trained them to stay off the furniture. Then you have to worry about where they can go--I've been able to train them to pee in the shower, but where for them to drop that isn't a mess? Yeah, doggie doors to get outside,  but I live in the city and not enough yard for a dog to run and I am not a dog-walker. I like to travel frequently and take bike trips and we are gone for several days/weeks at a time. So, we have to find someone to take care of the dogs. I am not permanently here, so will go else where someday. What to do with the dogs? They are simply too much trouble.

I got a parrot from Chatuchak from a very reputable bird shop.  Very healthy animals and I still have a relationship with him 3 years later. However, without a recommendation I would advise against it.  My pit bull I got locally from a family who had pups and it was important I meet the parents.  My soi dog ran up to me when I was jogging one day and followed me all the way home.  By the time I got him cleaned up and healthy he was by far my most expensive pet.  He is an excellent guard dog and was a great big brother for the puppy.  They are inseparable now.  

756.jpg

1013.jpg

If you are looking for a dog, adopt, don't get hung up on the vanity of one of the traditional kennel club breeds with numerous defects from inbreeding. 

There's a big part TRD living outside my Moo Baan, his bones were protruding so much I had to start feeding him, I couldn't bring him home, we're maxed out. 

I think the locals don't feed him because he's bigger than they consider 'cute' and of course he needs more food than the smaller ones. 

If you're interested PM me and I'll get some pics, seems to have a lovely temperament. 

But he's a big lad and needs a garden, he's not a condo dog. 

I consider lapdogs to be rodents, so if  that's what your after, I'm sorry you feel that way. 

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Arjen said:

I feel sick when I see this.....

I bought one dog in my life, from a trusted breeder in Indonesia. All my other dogs are abonded. (sometimes ïmpulse purchases from a market, lovely puppy, but puppies grow big....)

I am wondering where the majority from the dogs bought on places like this will end. And I do not want to think about what happens with the puppies when they are not sold before a certain age.

Arjen.

Why do you feel sick when you see a litter of healthy, clean, well fed and happy puppies getting affection from people?

The majority of dogs bought 'on' places like this will end up in loving homes.  All the puppies are sold.. if any get bigger they are reduced price and sales pushed extra hard to get a home.

I bought both of my dogs from places like this and the oldest now getting on for 8 years old each and still very healthy and active.  No genetic problems or behavioural problems. 

Just because someone is a 'registered breeder' does not mean they treat their dogs any better... in fact it can be a cover for very bad conditions for their breeding dogs and dogs being produced getting killed if they don't meet the breed standard (like they have the wrong colour fur), and also inbred genetically diseased animals. 

On 3/6/2017 at 4:10 PM, natway09 said:

If the puppy looks well, sharp eyes no hip problems eats well  &  is over 6 weeks  you are pretty safe.

Sure may have 1 or 2 types of worms (most dogs with other dogs do ) but after a good check up at the vets 

& vaccination you have a good pet. Now the hard work starts training.

Enjoy, they are great companionship  but  remember they are  a long term commitment 

the dogs at the markets are very very very inbred...riddled with recessive genetic problems which may manifest at any time...just pull a photo from the akc, ukc, and ckc...even the Thailand Kennel Club...and compare it to the dogs that are sold in the markets...and you can see the obvious differences...

On 3/6/2017 at 6:53 PM, realenglish1 said:

I bought my Dog from Jatuchak market . From a good breeder

Usual stuff worms and stuff but I have had him for  2 years and The Vet Says he is

in good health 

I just want to update It is important to go to a good breeder and make sure then have papers for the dog

There are some good breeders at Jatujak you just have to do your work Do not buy from the seller that shows the dogs along the lanes

Bad Idea