Quiz: where is Choom Sai?

AbeSurd

4 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Is It at the intersection of Soi Bongkot and the very start of Soi Batman?

or to be more precise Soi Chaloem  Phrakiat 18 and Pattaya Tai 16

No.

But thanks for telling me about Soi Batman. Never heard of that before :smile:

26 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Choom Sai means Telephone Exchange, so this would the Junction of 3rd Road and Pattaya Glang.

Signs went up Mid-Jan.

Correct. Crossroads of Third Road and Central Road. Well done :biggrin:

And you gave a translation. Very good. Mind you, if this was the Language forum I'd have to insist Central Road is 'Pattaya Glaang':post-4641-1156693976:

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And the "Urban Attitude" billboard behind the sign does the rest :smile:

Before the sign was there:

https://goo.gl/maps/UhAHmRUyYB42

Telephone Exchange better known these days as "ToT office".

Yep. That's it exactly.

And there's a matching Choom Sai road sign on the opposite corner, in front of the Testosterone Replacement place.

All the news that's hot is here :w00t:

2 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Yep. That's it exactly.

And there's a matching Choom Sai road sign on the opposite corner, in front of the Testosterone Replacement place.

All the news that's hot is here :w00t:

Thanks I had noticed the signs but for some reason kept forgetting to ask someone what they meant.........

23 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Is It at the intersection of Soi Bongkot and the very start of Soi Batman?

or to be more precise Soi Chaloem  Phrakiat 18 and Pattaya Tai 16

Well, if the Urban Attitude is actually in the background you're right.......the end of Soi Bongkot connecting with Chalerm Prakiat Soi 18

22 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Well, if the Urban Attitude is actually in the background you're right.......the end of Soi Bongkot connecting with Chalerm Prakiat Soi 18

Yeah................thats what threw me, i know The Urban Attitude is located there.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:57 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Choom Sai means Telephone Exchange, so this would the Junction of 3rd Road and Pattaya Glang.

Signs went up Mid-Jan.

I have nightmares about going to the Choom Sai in Loei  back in 1977/78 and trying to make a call back to the USA. Took about 4 calls for a 3 minute conversation, at considerable expense. I did call my folks once to tell them I was getting married.  Maybe once in 1980 to tell them I was coming home.  :)

44 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Yeah................thats what threw me, i know The Urban Attitude is located there.

As Khun BENQ correctly states, in my photo behind the road sign is a billboard for Urban Attitude. The billboard and the road sign are located at the crossroads of Central Road and Third Road.

1 hour ago, johng said:

There is a  another one of these appeared at the South/3rd road junction   that says "Sue Sarn"

Every junction along 3rd Road got new signs around Mid. Jan.

Not sure why the Soi Regional Land junction got the name of Tee Din (This Land ?)

2 hours ago, johng said:

There is a  another one of these appeared at the South/3rd road junction   that says "Sue Sarn"

My Thai dictionary suggests that means something to do with 'communication'. A reference to the CAT building perhaps?

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Every junction along 3rd Road got new signs around Mid. Jan.

Not sure why the Soi Regional Land junction got the name of Tee Din (This Land ?)

For 'Tee Din' Google Translate just gives 'Land'.

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, I think 'Sue Sarn' means Cemetery.

On the photo johng provided you can just read the Thai script for 'Sue Sarn'. I put that Thai script into my Thai dictionary and, as I say, it got translated as words to do with 'communication'. I checked in the dictionary just now and the Thai word for cemetery is close but spelt slightly differently from the Thai words on the road sign.

I won't put the Thai script in here as under forum rules it's only allowed in the Language forum. If you're sufficiently interested we could open a new thread in the Language forum?

Besides, is there a cemetery around there?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The Hanuman junction in Jomtien has also sprouted one of these signs but it doesn't read Hanuman. All rather counter-productive really.

That statue there has never been Hanuman, it is Machanu fish-monkey (which fits the beach theme a lot better) just because the locals are ignorant and has been calling it 'Hanuman' since forever doesn't make it right

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

That statue there has never been Hanuman, it is Machanu fish-monkey (which fits the beach theme a lot better) just because the locals are ignorant and has been calling it 'Hanuman' since forever doesn't make it right

This thread is starting to get round the Pattaya area in an interesting way.

I googled "Machanu fish-monkey" and what came up certainly could match, from memory, that gold statue in Jomtien that I assume is being talked about here. So thank you :thumbsup:

Machanu fish-monkey....

Machanu fish-monkey.jpg

hanuman.gif

This is the Thai hanuman, hence the confusion.... most Thais in Pattaya is probably only aware of one named monkey character from the Ramayana epic which is Hanuman, so when they saw a mythical monkey statue... Hanuman!

doesn't help if you say to baht bus or motorcycle taxis that you want to go to the 'Machanu' corner though....

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

That's as maybe but if you want to describe a place to someone it's generally best to use the name that's most widely used for it by locals. So Hanuman it is, wrongly or not.

these 'new' junction names will probabably went the same way with most of the 'official' street names in Pattaya, where the 'local' names is better known and is the only one used in local venacular

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

these 'new' junction names will probabably went the same way with most of the 'official' street names in Pattaya, where the 'local' names is better known and is the only one used in local venacular

You're maybe being a bit pessimistic?

True, I've never known a Thai (let along a foreigner) refer to Third Road as Thanon/Soi Chalermprakiat or refer to Soi Buakhao as Soi Kasemsuvarn. Yet those seem to be the official names of those roads according to some street signs.

However these new road signs do seem to have the virtue of being short. My Thai is probably a bit dodgy here, but "taang-yairg Choom Sai" (Choom Sai junction) is shorter than "taang-yairg saai saam pattya-glaang" (Third Road and Central Road junction).

They're also to the point: they tell you you're near the Land Office or the TOT office or whatever.

Assuming the Thais haven't been using these names for years without us knowing it (always possible, this is Thailand!), I could believe some of these names will catch on and become local names, given time.