Tipping Etiquette Question

Rasseru

I would appreciate any information and thoughts that anyone might be able to provide concerning some questions I have about tipping etiquette in Chiangmai. I subjected myself to some possibly well-earned ridicule by asking some other questions about tipping etiquette on this forum several months ago, and may be about to earn some more.

I live in a condominium in Chiangmai. Where I lived before moving to Thailand, it is customary at year-end to offer gifts of some kind to people in positions like those of the staff who work here. Is there a similar tradition here? Is it tied to the year-end, or is it related to some other event or date? Assuming there is such a tradition, what form or forms does it take? What forms do the gifts take? Would a group present of some kind, perhaps of food, be appropriate and welcome?

Apart from what might be in some sense a local practice or tradition, I would be interested too in simply hearing about what other farangs do.

Let your heart open and be generous to your content. No need to give out of obligation, but give if you can find the courage. You will be more than rewarded in return. That is karma.

I appreciate all of those thoughts, but would be grateful too for specific information about others' practices.

Many years I've laid a 500 on the security guards (but I don't sweat if I've covered every one) and the same with the gardener ladies. I've also given them 1000 on random occasions if things have gone well for me. I give the maid 1000 and the nanny 3000 usually at the end of the year, but I like random giving the best. My birthday in July is also a favorite time of mine to give.

It's not unusual for Thai's to give out small tokens of appreciation around New Years. It often starts several days before and can extend several days after (gift giving). I've seen them give small presents or even money (in an envelope) to people like the security guards at our moo bahn. If you feel they deserve some recognition of good work, then no reason not to. We do it where I work also, between co-workers or staff.

It also gives 'tahm nah' or make face for you and will be appreciated.

It is not uncommon here in Thailand to give an envelope to the staff of an establishment that one frequents throughout the year. It does give you face and pretty much ensures good service in the future. :o

Sawadee pii mai

Edited by OneeyedJohn

I would appreciate any information and thoughts that anyone might be able to provide concerning some questions I have about tipping etiquette in Chiangmai. I subjected myself to some possibly well-earned ridicule by asking some other questions about tipping etiquette on this forum several months ago, and may be about to earn some more.

I live in a condominium in Chiangmai. Where I lived before moving to Thailand, it is customary at year-end to offer gifts of some kind to people in positions like those of the staff who work here. Is there a similar tradition here? Is it tied to the year-end, or is it related to some other event or date? Assuming there is such a tradition, what form or forms does it take? What forms do the gifts take? Would a group present of some kind, perhaps of food, be appropriate and welcome?

Apart from what might be in some sense a local practice or tradition, I would be interested too in simply hearing about what other farangs do.

Thats a good question you've posted here. Where I am the security staff are the best I've come across in a mooban so I'll give a few tokens of appreciation - no problem. There are about 8 blokes here so a case or two of chang and a box of biscuits (help keep'em sober :o ) for xmas.

I would be interested too in simply hearing about what other farangs do.

As many posters have said, GIVE. Money in an envelope almost always is fine. Otherwise try to be sure that the gift fits the person or people. Once I gave booze but later realized that left out two in the group, who I subsequently learned,did not drink. No problem, it is the act of giving that is important.

If your condo has a residents group / committee try asking them. Failing that the management of the condo should give something on behalf of the residents but you can, of course, give a little extra to any of the staff that you want to. Envelopes are probably the best way to hand it out to each individual.

If service/food is good I tip 15 percent. If both are bad I leave a little message, 25 Satang. :o:D:D

The service/food would need to be very good to warrant a 15% gratuity.

OK if you're have a 30 baht bowl of noodles it would be OK (or a waste of time to give less) but if the bill comes to 2-3 K and you give 15% that would be close to 500 baht and I have never found service or food that remotely warrants that as a tip.

5% is plenty IMHO with a max of say 100 baht.

25 satang as a tip might land you in an embarrassing situation one day with you having more than egg on your face.

Back to the topic of tipping at Christmas I personally tend to reward the people (security and the like) regularly rather than wait to Christmas / New Year

If service/food is good I tip 15 percent. If both are bad I leave a little message, 25 Satang. :o:D:D

OK if you're have a 30 baht bowl of noodles it would be OK (or a waste of time to give less) but if the bill comes to 2-3 K and you give 15% that would be close to 500 baht and I have never found service or food that remotely warrants that as a tip.

5% is plenty IMHO with a max of say 100 baht.

25 satang as a tip might land you in an embarrassing situation one day with you having more than egg on your face.

Back to the topic of tipping at Christmas I personally tend to reward the people (security and the like) regularly rather than wait to Christmas / New Year

Rather than say "reward" I should have said "show my appreciation"

...it is customary at year-end to offer gifts of some kind to people in positions like those of the staff who work here.

Don't forget that the Thai year ends in April.

- but there is more gift giving at Jan 1st, from my experience :o

edit> including the few days following...

Edited by phibunmike

Few Thais would opt to give booze to their security guards. Doesn't mean you shouldn't, but it might be a good idea to first try and suss out if they drink or not, and/or if they have a drinking problem.

Giving money in an envelope is quite common. Westerners might see this as crude and/or impersonal, but the obvious benefit is that you can never go wrong with money (unless you happen to have given it to a pater familias who is a compulsive gambler... but hey... :o )

I always like to give cash or Johnny Walker, but the wife insists that pre-arranged gift baskets are "de riguer" [she was actually not speaking French to me during this discussion] and she warns that "whiskey is risky" [again, my own paraphrasing for this post]

These gift basket can be found everywhere throughout the year, but are especially prevalent around the holidays.

Warning to newcomers! Do NOT offer the ubiquitous orange-pail gift packages to your local security guard, a.k.a khun raw-paw-phaw :D They are another matter entirely.

-Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All! :o

Thats a good question you've posted here. Where I am the security staff are the best I've come across in a mooban so I'll give a few tokens of appreciation - no problem. There are about 8 blokes here so a case or two of chang and a box of biscuits (help keep'em sober :D ) for xmas.
meadish_sweetball Posted Today, 2006-12-18 13:20:48

Few Thais would opt to give booze to their security guards. Doesn't mean you shouldn't, but it might be a good idea to first try and suss out if they drink or not, and/or if they have a drinking problem.

Giving money in an envelope is quite common. Westerners might see this as crude and/or impersonal, but the obvious benefit is that you can never go wrong with money (unless you happen to have given it to a pater familias who is a compulsive gambler... but hey... rolleyes.gif )

They are all blokes here so I am assuming that they all drink but no doubt if they don't they will take their share and either pass it on or sell it.

Next time though I think money or shop vouchers will be the thing to give as suggested and then they can do what they want with it - sure some of em will still buy Chang though! :o

It's never wrong to give tokens of appreciation, although it's not necessary to do so here. Gifts are often given at New Years and money is appropriate for Chinese New Year.

As for myself, I give on rare occasions, usually when I actually have cash to spare--and that's not too often!

I agree, and that's why I never think in terms of percentages. For a waiter, I normally leave a 20 baht tip for a meal of whatever I eat. If they expect me to give 15%, I would expect at least a show. :D