new passport do all previous entries into thailand get omitted?

7 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

Thanks BritTim. On that basis, as things currently stand, I should be able to come out from UK, spend 3 months and then visit Phnom Penh for another visa then back to UK for 6 months and repeat indefinitely. May to September in UK every year and the rest of each year in Thailand  (with one regional trip for a new visa).

Only 6 months a year is definitely fine. They say you can do 6 months a year on visa exempts, if you wanted you don't have to bother applying for visas on your trips out.

If it was me I'd fly in on exempt, extend to 60 days, fly out to somewhere interesting now that I don't need to rely on applying for a visa (Philippines, Japan, places with no consulate like Macau, whatever), spend a week there enjoy the trip, fly back in on exempt, extend to 60 days, repeat the process. Three 60 periods, a week in between, 20k baht cash just in case but technically under 6 months in a year is said to be acceptable without a visa. And the 'proof of funds' is 10k for exempt visits.

With visas, up to around 8-9 months a year is fine. 

It's only really when you try to stay in Thailand year-round, only spend 1-2 days outside the country each visa run, that problems might crop up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Can't you just get a METV in the UK? Then you won't have to go to PP

Or 1 visa in the UK then 2 border crossing which you extended for 30 days each which will give you 7 months in total

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I thought about METV last year but it was about 4 times the price of TV and seemed to require more paperwork. I thought one still is restricted to the same length of stay on the METV so still need to leave the country?

I liked PP but would probably want to see other parts of the region on future trips.

Just now, paulsingle said:

I thought about METV last year but it was about 4 times the price of TV and seemed to require more paperwork. I thought one still is restricted to the same length of stay on the METV so still need to leave the country?

I liked PP but would probably want to see other parts of the region on future trips.

You'd still have to leave the country after 90 days yeah, but could go anywhere, if you got bored of Cambodia. But there are other easy places to get a visa, like Laos and Malaysia. 

• Like 1

I am not sure about the METV it was just a suggestion. My ex from the Philippines use to do a visa run from Pattaya to Cambodia and back in 12 hours. So 1 TV then extended it for 30 days, then a border crossing then extend it for 30 days. Then another border crossing then fly home. If you have a return ticket you should be ok and at the moment you are allowed 2 border crossing in 1 year. Unless they Change the rules again.

The total for all that would be about 6000THB

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jspill said:

You'd still have to leave the country after 90 days yeah, but could go anywhere, if you got bored of Cambodia. But there are other easy places to get a visa, like Laos and Malaysia. 

Jspill I like your idea of 3 visa exempt entries with extensions. That would seem to be the most hassle-free way to do it. As I want to travel the region anyway, the trips are no extra cost. I would actually save money on visas and save time and trouble - so it seems.

On your TM landing card it asks if you have been to Thailand before.

So if you have a new passport and state no when you have been many times B4 would be grounds for denying one entry.

And given if one gets a new passport your name and date of birth will be the same so it is easy to to match up with older passports, even if a person had multiple nationalities they would still be able to link people up.

Not sure how sophisticated the Thai Immigration facial recognition system is but nowadays these systems have a potential to to pick out anybody who they have a picture of, and they take a picture of every arrival and departee,  thing is if you try beating the system one could be suspected of being a terrorist.

On your TM landing card it asks if you have been to Thailand before.
So if you have a new passport and state no when you have been many times B4 would be grounds for denying one entry.
And given if one gets a new passport your name and date of birth will be the same so it is easy to to match up with older passports, even if a person had multiple nationalities they would still be able to link people up.

Not sure how sophisticated the Thai Immigration facial recognition system is but nowadays these systems have a potential to to pick out anybody who they have a picture of, and they take a picture of every arrival and departee,  thing is if you try beating the system one could be suspected of being a terrorist.

Just tick yes it won't be a problem before they use to want the dates. That was a hassle lol

2 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

Jspill I like your idea of 3 visa exempt entries with extensions. That would seem to be the most hassle-free way to do it. As I want to travel the region anyway, the trips are no extra cost. I would actually save money on visas and save time and trouble - so it seems.

Yeah in fact I did 9 months on visa exemptions in the last year. Maybe got lucky or it helped that I stayed outside thailand 2-3 weeks each time. Or both. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

That will probably be OK. However, it is not as clearly no risk as using tourist visas. After you have six total visa exempts over a few years, the immigration officials are instructed to scrutinize you more closely as a genuine tourist. Back-to-back visa exempts, while usually granted, can raise suspicions in the immigration official's mind. If you use exclusively visa exempts, I would suggest staying out of Thailand for a week in between. Personally, I would be inclined to use at least one tourist visa during a six month stay.

• Like 2