Security guards, firms fret over cost from new law

rooster59

Security guards, firms fret over cost from new law

By MAYUREE SUKYINGCHAROENWONG
THE SUNDAY NATION

20bdcb46146f868abe36ce311f868e23.jpeg

THE NEW law on security services may well boost public confidence in their services, as it required all security guards to register with police from February 26 this year.

But for the guards themselves, the law has been a pain. Some companies appear to be less worried about registration than the financial costs involved. 

“My friend says he will head back to his rural hometown and work on paddy fields instead, because the new law sets so many complicated rules,” Paijit Singhabubpha, 46, said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307966

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-05

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“My friend says he will head back to his rural hometown and work on paddy fields instead, because the new law sets so many complicated rules,” Paijit Singhabubpha, 46, said.

Yeah, as complicated as actually do what they get paid for and guard the property

and it's occupants... better go and pay a visit to that cow in the paddock...

Posters familiar with Thailand will see a pattern here. Pass a law that looks great on paper but creates administrative headaches and costs for employers and barriers and more costs for employees.

Thai-style, everybody looks for the short cut which results in backhanders to look the other way to the regulatory agency.

The same scenario is repeated in virtually every industry up and down the country.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, as complicated as actually do what they get paid for and guard the property

and it's occupants... better go and pay a visit to that cow in the paddock...

Yeah right working the paddy's would mean physical work, so i guess the koa lao would get the better of him with a nice bit of rump

So why dont the companies past down the cost like in other countries 

Police checks well probably easier to run than get caught 

& as mentioned at the end there will be an easy way out

This has been circulating for a while.  Govs in the middle east/Gulf did this years ago and after many threats and false starts, finally did it and of course, enforced it with an iron fist.  It's a good idea in theory, setting up age, medical,  and uniform standards, as well as a mandatory basic training course.  We had a waiver because our own training was far superior, because it had to be by contract requirements, but in the end, the government forced us to comply.

It was a real pain in the ass cycling 100s of guys through that stupid, 2-week course at our cost, while still covering all our contract requirements.  Sure, you have some manpower margin factored in for contingencies but losing 10 guys for 2 weeks, for training we already did or exceeded,  was very aggravating.   The small, local, low end security companies and dodgy manpower agencies struggled, a few went out of business. 

Training is good.  But in reality, many uniformed security guards here are nothing more than glorified trolley jockeys, annoying whistle blowers, and floor sweepers.  Don't need a trained "security guard" for that, so reckon many businesses will avoid the requirements and just have normal employees doing the duty, without the sexy uniforms and parachute jump wings.  :laugh:

Edited by 55Jay

I wonder how much some of the ''security'' guards spend on booze over a 3 year time frame, while drawing 350 /day?  Any company that deducts  3 day pay for missing 1 day of work might want to consider another line of business to get into, treat the employees fair and build up some employee loyalty. What is the charge for a security guard to those hiring them from the companies involved?

I do agree on the security company fee should be based on number of employees and not a figure that someone decided on without input from those companies involved. How about a bank guarantee letter, (bond) thus no cash to be put in someones pocket.

The people who put this set of rules together appear to be setting things up for cronies / themselves to make a bonus on the side.

My apartment complex has what feels like about 100 security guards. Complete overkill. If the security guards are not sleeping in their chairs, the little b******* are running around trying to grab each other's junk. 

First thing that they should be taught is that they're not in the army. Stop saluting people as they come in and out. A Security guard is not a very taxing job. Just do the rounds and make sure the building is secure. That's all I expect. 

What's wrong with displaying professionalism to portray to your clients? Just proves that most guards are all for show. When I see most guards wonder what they would really do if and when the incident happens. Run Forrest run.

Even our paid military police body guards (MOPOL) in Nigeria always wore a plain colored t-shirt under their uniform and weapons so they could ditch their "uniform" shirt and do a runner when things got hot. So being a registered military asset did not help sometimes.