Australian Embassy - Proof of income now required for Stat Decs

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The declaration is done in Australian dollars not Thai  baht. Immigration will use the exchange rate on the date of application for the extension.

all mine (stat decs) so far , have been done in thaibaht   (65.000 ),not A.U.D.

its a Midnight Oil good morning to all

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

all mine (stat decs) so far , have been done in thaibaht   (65.000 ),not A.U.D.

its a Midnight Oil good morning to all

Presumably in future if you have to provide proof of income from a source in your home country, the amount would then have to be in your home currency on your letter for immigrations so that the amounts correspond to those in the documented proof.

On the US affidavit, the amounts shown have to be in US dollars. I always get back up proof even though it's never been asked for and I believe State Dept. policy doesn't allow the consular officer who signs and stamps the form to be held responsible for verifying it other than having you swear to its truthfulness. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hedghog said:

Seems reasonable.

Gone are the good old days when the only "proof" required to obtain a yearly Non-Immigrant O was self-declaration. I forgot the exact words, but it was something like "I hereby declare that I have sufficient funds to remain in Thailand for one year" - at least that was on forms obtained from various Consulates in the UK.

• Like 1

I have always written my stat dec in AUD and then the conversion using the rate from Bangkok Bank for that day, since that is the bank I am with. When I then go to Immigration, they never accept my conversion and go online and redo it, To be fair, it is a couple of days later and the actual figure has probably changed by a hundred baht or so. Always do their job letter to their law, which I suppose, is a credit to them and I can never fault them whenever I visit.

• Like 1

I got mine last month, no proof required, so it is obviously very new, perhaps from March 1.

On the subject of quoting baht or A$ I have always said so many dollars worth x baht at an exchange rate of x.xx baht on that date or the day before I go there.

3 hours ago, Notout said:

You can write anything you like on a stat dec. All the Embassy is doing is witnessing your signature. By signing a stat dec you are saying that everything on it is truthful. If you knowingly sign a false statement on the stat dec then you can be charged with an offence. So you fill out your stat dec then sign it in front of a witness, this being Embassy staff who will then sign it which says that they have witnessed you sign it.

That's how a statdec works in Oz but the implication of the consulate's notice is that that is no longer sufficient for the Oz Emb here. May be a case of too many under resourced Aussies seeking help at the tax payers' expense?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lensta said:

My friend did his in Bkk last week and no such documentation was needed

As far as I can see the "change" only came through on the embassy web site in the last few days of the week.

Now includes :

"If you are signing a Statutory Declaration in support of a retirement or other visa, you must provide proof of income such as a bank, Superannuation or Centrelink statement. "

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Notarial_Services.html

It was certainly not required by Embassy staff before and in fact the DFAT related site has not been updated and still reads the "old" understandingof Stat Decs:

"By witnessing your signature, the consular official is simply confirming your identity as the person claiming to make the declaration. The consular officer is in no way attesting to the truth or veracity of the content of the statement. "

http://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/overseas.aspx

There is no mention of supporting evidentary documents being required.

Still, its changed, and that is the reality.   Its is certainly going to affect the single fully dependant OAPs and prospective retirees in Thailand.

I always thought this was a rather meaningless measure after the initial visa...I mean it does not confirm that you are actually spending that money in part or total in Thailand.  Perhaps another boom in some of the creative accounting and borrowing by some agents in Pattaya will be spreading further afield as people opt for the bank balance or combination method.

Edited by mamborobert

Signing a Stat Dec is as mentioned by mamborobert a witnessing a signature.

The Stat Dec does not require you to say how much you earn.

It only needs to say I do solemnly swear that I satisfy all the requirements to obtain a Retirement Visa in accordance with Thailand Immigration Guidelines and requirements.

The rest is not the Role of a Notary

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mamborobert said:

I think a fair few current and prospective fully OAP dependant people are going to have to rethink their retirement plans in Thailand. Or go to the costly revolving visitor visa (which is costly and being clamped down upon itself) or other visa or go without a visa altogether, or start to marry teerak if you are single.....(and then if you declare that does'nt your rate go down to half the married rate? will you have to declare you are married on the declaration in order to get immigration to accept a monthly income of 45k Baht, will the fact that you are married then get passed on to Centrelink in which case pension is reduced and you then fail income requirments in the future?)

I don't think there are too many full OAP in Thailand. The ones that are would have to be using agents to fudge bank deposits, or providing false income statements.

Off topic perhaps, it is possible to live here on the Australian OAP alone. However, the Thai government doesn't really want skint retirees, it prefers well-heeled ones.

I'm very sure if you can't afford to meet the income and/or cash deposit requirements in Thailand, you have no hope in Australia.

Getting married in Thailand to meet income requirements of the Thai authorities ( who can change their rules at any time ) strikes me as a remarkably desperate strategy.

• Like 2

This was inevitable when bloggers, and even posters here, were advocating "just write down any figure you want ". Americans are notorious for a slack attitude to this.

They'll be next require to provide proof.

I had to (combo method and 3 pensions) in Phuket 4 years ago.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

This was inevitable when bloggers, and even posters here, were advocating "just write down any figure you want ". Americans are notorious for a slack attitude to this.

They'll be next require to provide proof.

I had to (combo method and 3 pensions) in Phuket 4 years ago.

Your late. Yanks have been required at some immigration office to supply additional info for sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirkieb said:

Signing a Stat Dec is as mentioned by mamborobert a witnessing a signature.

The Stat Dec does not require you to say how much you earn.

It only needs to say I do solemnly swear that I satisfy all the requirements to obtain a Retirement Visa in accordance with Thailand Immigration Guidelines and requirements.

The rest is not the Role of a Notary

As has been mentioned, a stat. declaration  is no more just witnessing a signature. Thailand has complained to the embassies and now demands that embassies check the income and just witness the signature. Another problem is, at least for Dutch citizens, the declaration will now state nett income, not gross. I understood that was on agreement with the Thai government.  With the low Euro and now going to nett, I imagine that will put a few persons in trouble.

Do other embassies now demand proof of nett income?

For the Americans it might be a little bit different, because of the difference between the federal governments and the different states. The individual states do not like it when the federal government treads in their jurisdiction. For them it might  be the case that they will have to provide evidence at immigration instead of at their embassy.

t

17 minutes ago, Preacher said:

As has been mentioned, a stat. declaration  is no more just witnessing a signature. Thailand has complained to the embassies and now demands that embassies check the income and just witness the signature. Another problem is, at least for Dutch citizens, the declaration will now state nett income, not gross. I understood that was on agreement with the Thai government.  With the low Euro and now going to nett, I imagine that will put a few persons in trouble.

Do other embassies now demand proof of nett income?

For the Americans it might be a little bit different, because of the difference between the federal governments and the different states. The individual states do not like it when the federal government treads in their jurisdiction. For them it might  be the case that they will have to provide evidence at immigration instead of at their embassy.

t

The Oz have been ok with declaring a Gross Income.  Now that they want evidence I do not know what type of info you get on a Centrelink statement for example where the OAP may just put you into the initial income tax threshold.  It would be odd to do net as for OZ most would only know that from the annual tax return statement from the ATO.  You could conceivably be paying tax on a gross income and then get it all or partially back through rebates or franking credits or deductions etc when you put in your tax return.  Some with multiple sources of income would not know their true net until after their tax return is done, having said that those people are more than likely not to have an issue with the 65k per month.  

Guess this will become fine tuned as people apply.  Maybe even best if Embassy provided a sample or template Stat Dec in teh future...fill in the numbers and source and sign type thing.

• Like 1