Australian Embassy - Proof of income now required for Stat Decs

Thank God it is still gross income. Australians get taxed a flat 33% if a non-resident (no tax-free threshold). I would probably be under the limit if the calculation was based on net income.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:48 AM, ubonjoe said:

I find that unusual and I am surprised that immigration accepts them.

Most income letters, declarations,  affidavits and etc are done the a person's home country currency.

Also one has to understand that the stat dec or a notary is declaring that they saw that person sign in front of them. ie I saw this person and their passport and it is a true likeness of them.

The notary is not responsible for the content of the documents. Never have been and so we have an issue here.

I would suggest that this is not legitimate as the documents you are producing would be copies ie mass printed and  rubber signed by CenterLink?? and should be notorised by the  companies issuing them.

Also for the record Commbank when they send out your monthly statements are not going to change their format to suit you, the consulate, embassy or the government.

Who dreams this stuff up?

14 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

Also one has to understand that the stat dec or a notary is declaring that they saw that person sign in front of them. ie I saw this person and their passport and it is a true likeness of them.

The notary is not responsible for the content of the documents. Never have been and so we have an issue here.

I would suggest that this is not legitimate as the documents you are producing would be copies ie mass printed and  rubber signed by CenterLink?? and should be notorised by the  companies issuing them.

Also for the record Commbank when they send out your monthly statements are not going to change their format to suit you, the consulate, embassy or the government.

Who dreams this stuff up?

My Commbank account clearly identifies payments from my Australian Age Pension, Canadian Pension Plan and my Ontario Age Pension.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

My Commbank account clearly identifies payments from my Australian Age Pension, Canadian Pension Plan and my Ontario Age Pension.

you miss the point of law

that doc can be made by anyone

if that doc was to be submitted as evidence then it would need to be notarised by a notary to say it was a true document and the banks arent going to do that to satisfy these requirements

11 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

you miss the point of law

that doc can be made by anyone

if that doc was to be submitted as evidence then it would need to be notarised by a notary to say it was a true document and the banks arent going to do that to satisfy these requirements

I recently had a JP in Australia notarize about 12 documents for my OA Visa.

With documents taken from the internet he asked me if the copy was a true record, then stamped it certifying I had stated that, sign the declaration and then he affixed his  official seal and signed the declaration was a true record.

So, my actual experience is at odds with your opinion.

I previously was authorized in Australia to notarize Statutory Declarations.

I see no reason, if it proves necessary, for a proper grade of Embassy Officer to carry out a similar process.

Where to certify documents

Certified copies are copies authorised or stamped as being true copies of originals, by a person or agency recognised by the laws of the person’s home country. All personal documents such as Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Household Registration Book, Educational Qualifications, etc. must be certified by the relevant local district office as follow

Australian Visa Application Centre: Service Deliver Partner VFS Global.

Or

The Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok can witness and authenticate signatures and provide certain other notarial services (fees apply for these services). (NO MENTION OF BEING ABLE TO PROVE AUTHENTICITY TO DOCUMENTS)

PLease note I have only recently done my retirement Visa and Even Though I asked them why they cant authenticate a letter from my Military Pension (Aus Government) If it was sent thru internal channels to them.  Their response was they dont have access to other Australian Government Agencies.

In Australia, copies may be certified by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, or person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.

Please note: Photocopies of certified copies are NOT acceptable.

Edited by kirkieb

On 05/03/2017 at 5:35 PM, mfd101 said:

That's how a statdec works in Oz but the implication of the consulate's notice is that that is no longer sufficient for the Oz Emb here. May be a case of too many under resourced Aussies seeking help at the tax payers' expense?

Might be that the Oz government is looking at getting back a few Xpats from Thailand to spend their pensions back in Oz, hence there being a 2 year remain in Oz stipulation if you are living overseas and wish to apply to get the OAP, yes the 2 year jail term, leave the country during that period and they will cancel your pension, meaning you must stay until the 2 years term is up.

Always looking to take back what it can from what it once promised, i.e. work and pay your taxes and we will give you a pension, nothing about you can't take it with you because everybody was milking the government created.

Moving the goal posts is the norm these days, have to keep up with the so ever changing a$$holes.

Edited by 4MyEgo

44 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

I recently had a JP in Australia notarize about 12 documents for my OA Visa.

With documents taken from the internet he asked me if the copy was a true record, then stamped it certifying I had stated that, sign the declaration and then he affixed his  official seal and signed the declaration was a true record.

So, my actual experience is at odds with your opinion.

I previously was authorized in Australia to notarize Statutory Declarations.

I see no reason, if it proves necessary, for a proper grade of Embassy Officer to carry out a similar process.

OK today I teach you about the Law

a statuary declaration (stat dec) is what the original poster stated was needed

you are talking about notarised documents

not the same

a stat dec is filled out and signed at the Embassy in BKK

documents to support that are filed

but these docs could be made by anyone as they are not notarised

so the stat dec is signed and the Embassy witnesses this - yes

the docs are submitted as prove but they are not notarised - yes

get my point

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

OK today I teach you about the Law

a statuary declaration (stat dec) is what the original poster stated was needed

you are talking about notarised documents

not the same

a stat dec is filled out and signed at the Embassy in BKK

documents to support that are filed

but these docs could be made by anyone as they are not notarised

so the stat dec is signed and the Embassy witnesses this - yes

the docs are submitted as prove but they are not notarised - yes

get my point

Sure but the person making a Stat Dec signs a Declaration that they are not making a false statement and that they are aware of the penalties for doing so.

That is an integral part of what the Embassy Officer is witnessing.

You could read the Embassy form and see the numbers of occupations, including Embassy/Consular officers of a certain rank, who are authorized to execute the Statutory Declaration.

The standard of proof of truth required differs from evidence for a Court as you seem to refer to.

This is proof to satisfy the Thai Immigration authorities.

So let's agree to differ.

6 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Sure but the person making a Stat Dec signs a Declaration that they are not making a false statement and that they are aware of the penalties for doing so.

You could read the Embassy form and see the numbers of occupations, including Embassy/Consular officers of a certain rank, who are authorized to execute the Statutory Declaration.

The standard of proof of truth required differs from evidence for a Court as you seem to refer to.

"Proof to satisfy Thai Immi" - ie lots of stamps & signatures everywhere; a few pink ribbons wouldn't go astray; nicely presented in a nice folder; plenty of smiles & wais and your Thai partner laughing at their jokes - always works at Kap Choeng.

Satisfying OzEmb: much the same but you will obviously need a copy (or even original) of your monthly or annual (in my case 6-monthly) pension statement, or other bank book with transfers, ATO etc etc etc. I should think the OzEmb would be the least of most people's worries, particularly if you're nicely dressed ? ...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

I am sorry but you are wrong and I dont agree

A stat dec is a stat dec

a notary is a notary

Before they asked for a stat dec -

Now they ask for a stat dec with evidence (not court as you infer)

The evidence is a piece of paper and has no legal meaning - it is paper and ink.

This evidence derives meaning from being authenticated (notarised) by a trusted legal 3rd party.

If it is not notarised then it is simply paper and ink.

I know there are others reading this that understand reading between the lines.

• Like 2

Maybe this can clear up the dispute

..."If you are signing a Statutory Declaration in support of a retirement or other visa, you must provide proof of income such as a bank, Superannuation or Centrelink statement."

Can be found on this page of Australian Embassy Bangkok :smile:
http://thailand.emba...l_Services.html

• Like 1

Legally BlackJack is correct. Requiring 'proof of income' to be attached to a stat dec that an embassy official witnesses is just an administrative wank. The embassy official is not going to check up to make sure the 'proof' is genuine. The official will just accept your word that it is a copy of some 'proof'. If somebody is going to lie about their income on a stat dec, then it is easy enough to forge a bank statement or similar 'proof'.

It's nothing like the notarisation of your Australian marriage certificate required for a marriage extension. This has to be notarised by DoFA as a true record (e.g. they will check with the relevant Registry Office). A translation to Thai then has to be made. Only then will the Thai Embassy/Consular accept and stamp the document.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 8:20 AM, bdenner said:

Only hope that in my case they have a CPA on the consular staff who understands my tax return (I can barely make head nor tale of it) and they understand that the days of paper bank statements are long gone. Being a Thai witnessing the Stat Dec wouldn't surprise me if she doesn't ask for my Aussie Bank Book!! 5555555

Looks like I'll have to take my NoteBook PC with me next year.

The gods of bureaucracy and hoops are alive and well.

Better print out statement from that Netbook.  They don't want "electronic devices" inside the consluate;  

2 hours ago, bangkokorbust said:

The proof of whatever income(not the pension) will be on oz dollars. How is it converted to thai baht? Does the person filling out the stat dec calculate the exchange rate or does the embassy staff do this?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Thai Immigration convert the Au$ to Thai baht when you present the Stat Dec when  applying for your extension. 

On 3/7/2017 at 2:17 PM, david555 said:

Maybe this can clear up the dispute

..."If you are signing a Statutory Declaration in support of a retirement or other visa, you must provide proof of income such as a bank, Superannuation or Centrelink statement."

Can be found on this page of Australian Embassy Bangkok :smile:
http://thailand.emba...l_Services.html

I can confirm that the new Official  Australian Consulate in Phuket have confirmed that they follow the protocol of the Embassy as listed above.

The onus on signing a Stat Dec is on the person signing the declaration and not the witness. I do not believe the embassy has any right to ask for this information and there is a fair chance that by asking you to provide this they may be in breach of Privacy laws.

2 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

The onus on signing a Stat Dec is on the person signing the declaration and not the witness. I do not believe the embassy has any right to ask for this information and there is a fair chance that by asking you to provide this they may be in breach of Privacy laws.

By your criteria so does your Immi office.

Chok dee getting your extension.

2 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

I always have proof of income when I sign a stat dec so not really needing any luck. And has fa to do with Aust. Immigration.

So do I - for both the Embassy/Consulate, and Phuket Immi.

It's really quite simple - don't lie.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, barkly313 said:

So has anyone in the last few days actually completed a Stat Dec with the supporting docs at Oz embassy Bkk? If so what was your experience?

Just asking again  as above...any new Stat Dec forms or changes at the consulate when submitting this?