Did something changed with car rentals?

Foexie

Hi everybody,

i have a question about something i already noticed when i was searching for car rentals end of last year. Then i thought it was maybe because of the time of the year.

Since 2008 i Always rent cars in Thailand. I did Always booked the (almost) cheapest cars available and in about 100% of the searching it was Always a Toyota Hilux.

Didn't mind about that because i like to go where most tourists never would come but not need a 4X4 for offroad driving. And also like to drive a car what can handle a bit more as a Toyota Yaris or Honda City specialy on roads with big bumps and holes into it.

But this time it is different.

Today searching again and this time the same pick up became 350/400 bht/day more expensive while the rates of the regular cars stayed the same and are now much more cheaper. And for renting a car 25-30 days it's a big amount extra in the budget if i want the same car.

So for some reason i don't know off, did somewhere in 2016, the rates go up.

Any one have an explanation for this or were those type of cars Always rated to cheap?

Regards,

Paper backed by nothing is losing it's value and luster worldwide.

Very soon, I suspect there will be many problems exchanging all currencies, especially if some countries devalue their currency and eliminate large bills like India did.

The big bankers want a cashless society worldwide for maximum control. 

Yuk....

If I remember right, pickups have always been a bit more than cars. A couple of years ago in Ubon we rented a Vios from Avis which was 1000/day plus insurance and today that same vehicle from Avis would be around 1300/day plus insurance so there has been an increase in general the last couple of years.

Last year in Samui we had a slightly older Altis at 900/day including full insurance, no problems, for next week in Udon Thani my wife has sourced again an older Altis at 1000/day including full insurance. Always helps to shop around a bit.