I so really hate Thai Lakorns - I really do !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Gf watches that crap on her phone from youtube. Now that we have chromecast she cast them to the tv.

I can't stand all the fighting and screaming. They sound like a bunch of chickens squawking. I try to find a quiet place to go. 

I think that many expats look at this issue with western tinted glasses. Yes, the lakorns are shockingly bad but they actually do reflect society here where violence, sex, domestic violence, rape etc occur on a daily basis. Do they help to perpetuate those issues or do they help to raise them and get people talking about them?!!

In the UK people also have trashy soap operas such as Eastenders, Coronation Street etc that also highlight issues in society. The storylines are just as bad. And these soaps revolve around a pub. The Queen Vic, The Rovers Return and The Woolpack to name a few! Do they highlight or promote the issue of alcohol in the UK? The acting is also shockingly bad but I have to admit the sound effects are better!!

Whats the problem OP go do something else whilst there on. Why not write to the Thai broadcaster and insist as you are a foriegner and they should listen and act as you say. They should immediatly terminate these programs as YOU dislike them. 

Alternatively stop whining and get on with you life. Far more important things to worry about.

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

I must be one of the lucky ones. The only TV my missus watches is Thai volley ball. Some games are pretty good viewing.

Do you mean the fit young ladies with bouncy bosoms?

8 hours ago, Major4608 said:

Don't take it too serious. My wife watches them a lot also. I just go in another room. No big deal.

Thanks for that......at least now I have figured out what the OP was about.

PS..I do the same as you.

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

I must be one of the lucky ones. The only TV my missus watches is Thai volley ball. Some games are pretty good viewing.

I get a sore wrist watching Thai ladies volley ball.

The OPs post has better writing than Thai dramas. Any time one is on I comment about how bad the acting writing and fake they look for supposedly being outdoors.

My girls gotten so tired of hearing me she watches it less now.

Plus Netflix and iflix so am teaching her to watch

buffy

25 minutes ago, claffey said:

I think that many expats look at this issue with western tinted glasses. Yes, the lakorns are shockingly bad but they actually do reflect society here where violence, sex, domestic violence, rape etc occur on a daily basis. Do they help to perpetuate those issues or do they help to raise them and get people talking about them?!!

Or does Thai society reflect them?

4 hours ago, loong said:

I despise them, just hearing the stupid sound effects, the wailing sobbing and shouting really irritates me.     

Time for the headphones and listen to some music. 

Plus the men look Thai, and most of the women could pass as farang, except the servants of course who always look south east asian

6 hours ago, kannot said:

Tripe for the masses, Coronation St, Eastenders

How dare you disparage Coronation Street. To rope that show in with Thai soaps is bordering on the inflammatory! When Hilda died, I shed a tear. If all the Thais in the soaps moved on I would celebrate.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Good news.  TV's have an off button.  

We don't have a TV because when we stayed with my Thai wife's father while our house was being built, the TV was on all the time, much of the time with the soaps, which even the Thai refer to as nam nao - dirty water. .The soaps featuring ghosts are in my opinion the worst.

I decided against having a TV in the house. My wife and I have a laptop each. My wife loves to watch comedies, doesn't bother with soaps. I couldn't stand TV. Apart from the very odd good programme, it's in my opinion like pumping mental sewage into ones home and a complete waste of one's time and life. TV programming is also designed to dumb down the population, and not just in Thailand.

1 hour ago, claffey said:

In the UK people also have trashy soap operas such as Eastenders, Coronation Street etc that also highlight issues in society. The storylines are just as bad. And these soaps revolve around a pub. The Queen Vic, The Rovers Return and The Woolpack to name a few! Do they highlight or promote the issue of alcohol in the UK? The acting is also shockingly bad but I have to admit the sound effects are better!!

I watched Coronation Street including Ena Sharples in black and white in 1960, but haven't watched it since!

Good post by the OP - and it's the fact that the pace of a lakorn is slower than real life that really irritates me.  In a typical Western TV serial - 1 day of time in the plot takes about 20 minutes of on-screen time, but in a lakorn an event that should last 15 minutes in real life (a first kiss, a cat-fight between the 'Nang Ek' and the 'Nang Lai" or the obligatory rape), takes about 3 weeks!

And Thailand seems to come to a 'World cup final match day'  standstill for the last one of a popular serial.

We do have a second TV, but not wanting to spend every evening from Monday to Thursday sitting in different rooms for 2 hours, we tend to compromise.  Some nights the lakorn is on the 'big TV', and I catch up with emails or put my brain into 'immigration queue stand-by mode', and other nights we have a movie on the TV, and she watches lakorn on her mobile!

one last point .......

We're out in some shopping mall or restaurant and she excitedly points out some lakorn starlet - and in every case (with the sole exception of Chompoo Araya, who incidentally seems to have a wicked Western style sense of humor) they all have typical Thai dark skin - which seems to suggest that the skin whitening creams don't work?

And Urassaya is very hot - so all is almost forgiven.

42 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Or does Thai society reflect them?

I'm pretty sure that Thai society existed before the lakorns! They do, however, reinforce the good old traditions of having numerous giks, violence and money worshipping... 

28 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

We don't have a TV because when we stayed with my Thai wife's father while our house was being built, the TV was on all the time, much of the time with the soaps, which even the Thai refer to as nam nao - dirty water. .The soaps featuring ghosts are in my opinion the worst.

Literally, I haven't had a broadcast (or cable) TV in 25 years, except when I stay in hotels. That way, I have absolute control over when (and if) I watch anything.

Mostly because (as Bruce Springsteen says) 57 channels and there's nothing on.  Gotta admit I'm a documentary junkie, but I can find more than I can watch on Youtube, download 'em and watch at my convenience...  And if Youtube doesn't have 'em, the torrents do.

Get someone technically savvy to download Game Of Thrones, Vikings, Outlander or similar onto a USB stick. Most modern TV's will be able to play straight off the USB. Insist on your own time bracket to watch.

My Thai GF has limited English; however, she now watches GOT in preference to the lakorns.

6 hours ago, loong said:

irritates me.     

Time for the headphones and listen to some music. 

spot on - AI- LAI -AAAAAA ....and the creepy all knowing mother who dispenses gobbets of perceived wisdom in a psychopathic monotone.  And of course the boingss and ridiculous hackneyed sound effects at the so called comedy moments. At these points the cabal of watching temporary witches howl with laughter...

Some well meaning person has subtitled some of them on YT - so you can really see how awful they really are..

8 hours ago, Hedghog said:

The OP seems to be an authority on the Thai soap programme's. 

Despite not watching them.!

There was  hinterland period when I tried to share in the collective experience - couldn't do it in the end - the river of bile was too much for me to take.

6 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

To the OP: If you hate them so much, why watch them??

Fortunately for me my Issan wife finds these Thai soaps silly and boring and she never watches them. Fortunate for her also because, otherwise, I'd never have married her. 

A dealbreaker ...hmmm

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Just curious, but do you enjoy western lakorns? 

There is no real equivalent as UK soap operas which are the nearest equivalent are gritting working class / lower middle kitchen sink dramas and somewhat better acted. That said no I have no time for them either.

5 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Most modern tv's you can delete channels. Whether at home or hotel, first thing i always do is delete "chong sahm" chl 3. Wife doesnt seem to have the ability to rescan the tv.

The alternative is having a non responsive partner that sits watching (and learning behaviour) this rubbish constantly. Driving you mad.

I remember not being able to get served in an empty cafe because the staff were too busy watching chnl 3.

Yeh tv's have an off button but it doubles as an on button. No obstacle for the chong sahm lover.

Rubbish should be banned. As thais seem to mimic the behaviour in these lakorns so much then maybe the government should use this to rid the place of corruption and instill some manners and conscientiousness into the population.

You sir are an evil genius...:sleepy:

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Many farangs are self-proclaimed authorities on a lot of things in Thailand on the same dubious basis. Sort of like the experts on every detail of life in Pattaya and who declare in the same breath they would never and have never visited the place.

but I like Pattaya....

2 hours ago, sugarcane24 said:

I decided against having a TV in the house. My wife and I have a laptop each. My wife loves to watch comedies, doesn't bother with soaps. I couldn't stand TV. Apart from the very odd good programme, it's in my opinion like pumping mental sewage into ones home and a complete waste of one's time and life. TV programming is also designed to dumb down the population, and not just in Thailand.

spot on about the ghosts being the worse ones...z-list zombes

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Good post by the OP - and it's the fact that the pace of a lakorn is slower than real life that really irritates me.  In a typical Western TV serial - 1 day of time in the plot takes about 20 minutes of on-screen time, but in a lakorn an event that should last 15 minutes in real life (a first kiss, a cat-fight between the 'Nang Ek' and the 'Nang Lai" or the obligatory rape), takes about 3 weeks!

And Thailand seems to come to a 'World cup final match day'  standstill for the last one of a popular serial.

We do have a second TV, but not wanting to spend every evening from Monday to Thursday sitting in different rooms for 2 hours, we tend to compromise.  Some nights the lakorn is on the 'big TV', and I catch up with emails or put my brain into 'immigration queue stand-by mode', and other nights we have a movie on the TV, and she watches lakorn on her mobile!

one last point .......

We're out in some shopping mall or restaurant and she excitedly points out some lakorn starlet - and in every case (with the sole exception of Chompoo Araya, who incidentally seems to have a wicked Western style sense of humor) they all have typical Thai dark skin - which seems to suggest that the skin whitening creams don't work?

And Urassaya is very hot - so all is almost forgiven.

spot on with your analysis.  Agreed Urassaya is very hot - she would of course be a spoilt , over entitled high maintenance princess in real life though...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/drama/images/d/da/Yayasperbund.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110921223445&path-prefix=es

Edited by beautifulthailand99
botched qoute

The wife and other family members are entranced by lakorns?  Great! You're off the leash and completely free while the placebos flow from the idiot box.  You could learn to love lakorns if you plan your evenings sensibly.

I can remember one I enjoyed despite my v/poor Thai language skills about 2-3 years ago. The one about the girl policeman who dies in the first episode and becomes an avenging ghost who protects her old boyfriend (another honest cop fighting corruption etc).  You didn't need the language to follow the tacky plots. A terrific girly-boy duo added comic relief (! so not necessary considering the main 'ghost cop" storyline). I hated missing an episode and hope for a re-run of the series. Still, I'm amazed the viewing public as well as the "actors" (lolll) take the industry so seriously. I guess someone has to.