Thailand to collect 400-baht national park entrance fee from foreign visitors

webfact

"Just don't go there" or "It's just 400 Baht...it won't kill you!"

All the same BS- argument, over and over!

Guys...people come here to visit the country and it's sights!

"Just don't go there" is not an option for most!

And it is very well not "just 400 Baht"...because usually, tourists, who travel Thailand, don't visit only one park!

They travel from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, on to Ayutthaya, Sukothai, Ciang Mai, Chiang Rai, then fly south to see Similan, Khao Sok, Phnagnga Bay etc.

That is not "just 400 Baht".

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, kannot said:

Wife is down in Krabi at the moment  with two Farang friends  (Tourists) she was  appalled that not  only was the park 40 baht Thais ,400 for  farangs but  many restaurants also had higher prices for farangs in fact she went in sat down and asked for for four dishes the same and was told farang is 80 baht Thai is 60 baht, she told  em where to stick it and they dropped the farang price to the Thai price. Everything in Krabi has been inflated for Farangs, theyre  just greedy  little shites.

EVERY single restaurant that i go to in Krabi province, all i have to do is speak Thai to them and they give me Thai price; on our island, i ALWAYS get Thai price because they know that i make the effort to speak the language and live according to Thai culture-  when i first got here, my Thai friends would accompany me to ensure that i got the Thai price...

when i take my tourist friends to places, they always give the Thai price (and even negotiated down the park fee at the southern tip of our island 3 yrs ago when i went w/2 tourist friends, even though it was they who were paying)-

but then again, i am quite well known throughout our island and our provincial capital Krabi town

however, to be fair, haven't gone to ANY parks for 3 years (w/exception of the Emerald pool w/my Thai friends 2 weeks ago)

21 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

so pay 10 times more for your food, rent, cinema, drinks, flight as you make more money than Thais do, good luck

Btw there are some exreemly weathly rich Thais around that play a very good 'me no money' game. Don't be fooled thinking all Thais are living on the edge.

She added that the new system would also help the authorities bring order to the country’s tourism management and improve the quality of the tourism industry by controlling the number of tourists, the number of ferries visiting relevant islands and their safety standards as well as the allocation of the collected entrance fees to the local governments.

The part I have highlighted in bold probably means cram as many in as you can. I have visited various places here before and grudgingly paid higher than the Thais I was with, but THB400? Ten times the price?

No way!

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a law that all foreigners who possess either a drivers license, or a Thai ID card, can get into the parks at the same price as the locals.

Could you please elaborate on this? Any quotes of the related law?

6 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

Four hundred baht to be able to experience nature that has been trashed by the many pigs that visit the parks and throw their trash all over the place.  Perhaps if they used the revenue to police and clean the parks there wouldn't be such a push-back.  Thai citizens should be ashamed of their parks and how they are poorly treated and maintained.

I do notice the lack of rubbish bins in parks and tourist attractions.

They have not solved this problem in years.

I would doubt that the money collected is ever  a true record of how many  enter the parks.

I went to the zoo at chiang mai and paid the high entrance fee, for me and Thai family, then you had to pay more to see the Panda and other things.

I spat the dummy, I did not pay another BHT , we left disgusted.

I would never pay 400 BHT to enter a trashed environment.

The Zoo at Hua Hin got closed as the animals were going crazy in small cages, however they had paid millions of BHT to transplant trees and build the entrance, which looked impressive, the animals looked very sick.

2 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Could you please elaborate on this? Any quotes of the related law?

I think I was misinformed. There was a newspaper article some time ago that stipulated that foreigners who were resident here, were entitled to the lower rate. This seems to clarify this ignorant policy.

The clarification follows an inquiry to The Phuket News from an expatriate reader asking for help to clarify the long-running confusion on whether legitimately working foreigners are entitled to the Thai rate at national parks.

“I have gone to several national parks and most charge only the Thai admission charge when I show my passport and work permit. However, there have been two around Krabi who refuse. I was wondering what is the actual rule for this for foreigners. Surely there is a standard agreement across all national parks throughout Thailand,” wrote Celi Harper.

To shed some light on the matter, The Phuket News contacted the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation headquarters in Bangkok, as well the offices of various national parks in/near Phuket.

All officers we spoke to were in agreement that there are only two main charging standards – for Thais and non-Thais – and that work, tax or visa status are irrelevant.

Based on our accumulative experience and accounts, flexibility for resident-status foreigners visiting national parks throughout the kingdom has been inconsistent. Some have been allowed to pay the Thai fee simply by speaking Thai to the officer, or showing the park officer their Thai TIN card, work permit, student ID and/or driving license, while others have been outright refused and told they must pay the “foreigner fee”.

Our inquiries have confirmed this. 

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.

However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price.

Foreigners even do not qualify for free entry if under 3 or over 60 years of age. 

She noted one exception: students who are part of a qualified academic institution group activity at a national park will collectively be figured into a group discount rate, for which nationality of individual group members is not scrutinised.

Throughout the Kingdom of Thailand, there are 124 National Parks, as listed on the Department of National Parks Website here. That's the English version, listing with the prices for foreigners. The prices for Thai are here.

The Thai rates range from B10-40, while the foreigner rates range from B50-400, or five to 10 times more.

The DPN classifies adults as people aged 15-59, and children 3-14.

“Regardless if you have lived and worked here for many years, you [foreigners] aren’t entitled to the same privileges as Thais. You need to pay the same amount as foreign tourists, but if you are lucky, you might benefit from the flexibility [exercised by some park officers],” she said.

Asked why she thought the fees were so high, Ms Wanlapha remarked “We don’t get enough budget from the government to maintain the parks, and lately the number of foreign visitors to national parks has declined.”

Ah DUH! I wonder why?

As a Foreign teacher who receives local based salary and regularly paying my taxes, I wonder why I should pay as tourists. Last month I visited Kaoyai National park with my Thai girlfriend. I had to pay Baht 400. I showed them my University ID card, a copy of my work permit, and a copy of my tax returns, but to no avail. I was informed that all foreigners no matter where they work should pay the same 400 Baht price tag.

I just wonder why I have to pay taxes to Thai government!!!!

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Vote with your feet & see how quickly it gets dropped... as for visiting farangs... send this across the world on social media & all the travel blogs.. boycott national parks for blatant racism, price fixing discrimination... whatever you want to call it
Plus to drive the message home, in foreign countries entrance to all national parks will be 10X the normal rate for Thai citizens

hope they enjoy the view!!!

Check out this article. I states that visits by foreigners has dropped, hence the increase in the fee, for foreigners. Pricing, Thai style. 

The clarification follows an inquiry to The Phuket News from an expatriate reader asking for help to clarify the long-running confusion on whether legitimately working foreigners are entitled to the Thai rate at national parks.

“I have gone to several national parks and most charge only the Thai admission charge when I show my passport and work permit. However, there have been two around Krabi who refuse. I was wondering what is the actual rule for this for foreigners. Surely there is a standard agreement across all national parks throughout Thailand,” wrote Celi Harper.

To shed some light on the matter, The Phuket News contacted the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation headquarters in Bangkok, as well the offices of various national parks in/near Phuket.

All officers we spoke to were in agreement that there are only two main charging standards – for Thais and non-Thais – and that work, tax or visa status are irrelevant.

Based on our accumulative experience and accounts, flexibility for resident-status foreigners visiting national parks throughout the kingdom has been inconsistent. Some have been allowed to pay the Thai fee simply by speaking Thai to the officer, or showing the park officer their Thai TIN card, work permit, student ID and/or driving license, while others have been outright refused and told they must pay the “foreigner fee”.

Our inquiries have confirmed this. 

“Depending on the park, or specific park duty officer, foreigners may be allowed to pay the Thai rate,” explained the Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong.

However, she confirmed that this “flexibility” was not based on any laws or regulations, which on the contrary, she insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price.

Asked why she thought the fees were so high, Ms Wanlapha remarked “We don’t get enough budget from the government to maintain the parks, and lately the number of foreign visitors to national parks has declined.”

ok in aus the entrance is 5 bucks for national parks Everyone gets charged the same Indians English americans even Thais If they were to charge a different price for thais in aus they would call it discrimination. But here they charge 50 Bahrt for Thais and 400 bahrt for tourists Smart move Goodbye tourists

58 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

If your religious ask the big guy in the sky. Supposedly we are all equal but in practice no.

It is perhaps one of the most ridiculous quotes ever uttered by Thomas Jefferson. He was speaking in political terms. Did the slaves, at that time have equality? He was a slave owner. Pure nonsense and hyperbole.

Who is really equal? The only real equalizer in this world is cash, and power. Do you really think a slum dweller in Klong Toey, or in Bombay is equal, on any level? Maybe in the eyes of the Divine, but certainly not in the eyes of most men. 

My mother told me one thing I remember to this day. I was complaining to her about something not being fair. And she looked me in the eyes and said "Do not expect things to be fair. Life is not fair. Very few things are fair. The sooner you get that, the easier your life will be". I never forgot that, and I live by that credo.True words of wisdom. I try to be fair to people. In my life, and in my work. But, I usually don't expect it.

Well, the Thai admission fees certainly fall into the unfair category. Most of us would be OK with double. But, ten times? Feels like abuse. And since I do not carry vaseline around with me, it hurts. 

Edited by spidermike007

Most of our national parks in the UK are free and in most of the West we wouldn't dream of such a racist practice, a total lack of aspiration, such a low rank 3rd world mentality, in 50 years time these same countries will still be developing

5 hours ago, kannot said:

And then surprisingly the renovations never get done in fact it continues to deteriorate,

You've hit the nail right on the head! 

Where's the money going? It certainly isn't being invested in facilities. Toilets with no toilet paper, washbasins but no soap, rubbish littered around the place and sleeping staff!!!!

Edited by djayz

3 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

So I show my licence or Yellow Book and it proves I am not a tourist, so I should be right?

Probably incorrect journalism, probably not 'tourists' but 'foreingers'

The title is "Thailand to steal 400-baht national park entrance fee from foreign visitors"

not "Thailand to steal 400-baht fee from tourists" :whistling:Pffff

I believe it treaty or policy parity.  If foreigners in Thailand are expected to pay 10 times more than locals, then if Thais visit foreign countries - Thais should be ready to pay 10 times more than locals from the country being visited. Fair and square.

23 minutes ago, Richyfresh said:

Most of our national parks in the UK are free and in most of the West we wouldn't dream of such a racist practice, a total lack of aspiration, such a low rank 3rd world mentality, in 50 years time these same countries will still be developing

Correction; "ALL of our National Parks in the UK are free ...". 

Not commenting on the rest of your post.

6 hours ago, garyk said:

That is more than I pay to get into the parks in America. And they have clean restrooms, hot showers. And no trash everywhere.

yeah, pretty steep fee for what used to be a very affordable country to visit, never mind the double pricing issue.  As an occasional tourist from America, the 400 baht once or twice a year won't break me, so I won't get too upset about it, but it definitely doesn't endear me to their policies.

And not so long ago Thai newspapers cried foul about the 'value' of a Thai passport.

They dropped severely in entering countries without a visa need.

The longer the foreigners price drain is gonna be extended the harder the sound of slamming doors will fill the air!

Actually, it doesn't bother me that 'tourists' pay whatever, but we non-immigrant residents in the country are paying taxes just like every other Thai citizen. If you take my money in taxes, then I think we deserve to use the Government services at the same rate as Thai people. We are not tourists!  (In fact I go into the national parks regularly to take nature photographs to show the world the beauty of Thailand. )
Why does Thailand discriminate against law abiding, tax paying residents? 

AR

18 minutes ago, keskeseksa said:

Worst tourism minister in the 40 years I live, she is not useless, she is counterproductive. The list of her idiotic decisions is endless.

She should go visit her counterpart in Japan. They run the most fantastic parks with stunning scenery adn immaculate facilities to promote tourism and designed around bettering the tourist experience. I never paid a yen.

Joke as usual. I went to Khao Sam Roi Yot and refused to pay the fee there, 3 guys come over from nowhere when I started the discourse, my wife told me to shut up because those guys are always in bad mood. Also I prevented my wife and daughter (they want to charge my kid as a foreign, she is Thai! They even ask her ID card.. insane!) to get in the park and pay the fee. I told it is wrong and racist, now they hated me forever! I got in my car and hush away from there. Farang Mei Dee!

I've never disrespected a Thai citizen and never will, but this time I have to speak out. This is ridiculous.