Buying a new car . . . or not !

Grumpy Old Man

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Imagination is a good thing. Where would we be without it. I use other guidelines as well. The term imagination run wild was subject for this topic only not running ones life. 

Sure, but not in the negative, paralyzing context you intended. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

This discussion has come to my hoot and hollar point. You can hollar all you want and I do not give a hoot. Over and out. 

No problem.  I'm sure the OP appreciated your sage advice. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Only cryptic to thick....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well I guess I must be thick then as I have zero idea what your talking about, care to educate me ?

So far you mention Thaksin - Very much doubt he is gunna order me to leave the country in 24 hours.

And Chalerm, whats he gunna do. Drown me in red bull ?

Edited by Don Mega

18 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Of course they are offering a big discount--Its your choice of course GOM---but isn't this  the worse possible time ever to buy a new vehicle ? Sure it will be registered as a 2017 car in your book--but it was manufactured in 2016, any changes when they swap to the genuine 2017---will not be there.

It will be year or 2 before there are any changes made to the Revo.

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

You may well be right Don...... I do not know much about Toyota vehicles, but its not unusual to see different colours each year.. ....& smaller changes like Europe/Japan is pushing for day lights for all vehicles .

Stop the press....youtube

its a long article about their changes Don........so leave it to you to dissect..........:coffee1:

Last month the all-new Toyota Hilux Revo made its debut at an event in Bangkok, Thailand, featuring a new design, new engine family and better equipment. Below is a pictorial comparison between the outgoing Toyota Hilux Vigo and the new Hilux Revo. The new Toyota Hilux Revo comes with a design that falls in line with the company’s next design philosophy. It’s a step up from the aged design of the Hilux Vigo and gives the Hilux line a fresh face. Up front, the Hilux Revo sports a large set of projector headlamps with DRLs that flow into a trapezoidal 3-slat grille, nearly similar to the new Toyota Corolla Altis. The lower fascia has been been made simple, featuring a single air inlet and fog lamps on both sides. The hood ditches the tacky air scoop, leaving the pickup with a simple and clean front end. The side of the two generations remain nearly similar, save for new side mirrors, redesigned

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

You may well be right Don...... I do not know much about Toyota vehicles, but its not unusual to see different colours each year.. ....& smaller changes like Europe/Japan is pushing for day lights for all vehicles .

Stop the press....youtube

its a long article about their changes Don........so leave it to you to dissect..........:coffee1:

Last month the all-new Toyota Hilux Revo made its debut at an event in Bangkok, Thailand, featuring a new design, new engine family and better equipment. Below is a pictorial comparison between the outgoing Toyota Hilux Vigo and the new Hilux Revo. The new Toyota Hilux Revo comes with a design that falls in line with the company’s next design philosophy. It’s a step up from the aged design of the Hilux Vigo and gives the Hilux line a fresh face. Up front, the Hilux Revo sports a large set of projector headlamps with DRLs that flow into a trapezoidal 3-slat grille, nearly similar to the new Toyota Corolla Altis. The lower fascia has been been made simple, featuring a single air inlet and fog lamps on both sides. The hood ditches the tacky air scoop, leaving the pickup with a simple and clean front end. The side of the two generations remain nearly similar, save for new side mirrors, redesigned

Youve only just realized the Revo is all new and only recently released ?

As I said there will few if any changes within the next year or 2 (maybe some very minor cosmetic changes in 2018). If you are suggesting to wait until next change the same as Vigo to Revo you had best pull up a comfy chair as that likely wont happen in the next 10 years.

Toyota cars are made to last
I am stuck in a rock and a hard place
My wife's sister has pulled out of sharing the company bill which finishes
This yr.so we have to pay her off !
Im not going to buy a new car ever again here
Be very careful buying 2nd hand here !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Youve only just realized the Revo is all new and only recently released ?

No Don.....which goes to show you....like most subjects on here I really know F#@k all about anything.....thank you for pointing that out to all the 100s of readers.........:passifier:

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

---but I know the 2017 Honda scooters are not released to late March early April....so on that she has to wait.

Not so. Bought a 2017 CRF in December. First year with a tachometer so know for sure it is a 2017. PCX, Scoopy, Wave, etc. all available. All 2017.

48 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yep, they are waiting to accumulat some bits from the Camry again and bung them on the Revo, may me call it the Revo Chump. Toyota are offering bigger discounts ,saw 50K THB on the new Vios at the Toyota place I use for servicing.

1 minute ago, phutoie2 said:

Yep, they are waiting to accumulat some bits from the Camry again and bung them on the Revo, may me call it the Revo Chump. Toyota are offering bigger discounts ,saw 50K THB on the new Vios at the Toyota place I use for servicing.

:laugh:.............laugh.gif

19 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not so. Bought a 2017 CRF in December. First year with a tachometer so know for sure it is a 2017. PCX, Scoopy, Wave, etc. all available. All 2017.

Thank you canthai55----Which would confirm my earlier post about knowing a great deal about nothing---I went by the dealers word up here in Ban Nok (issan) so looks like the wallet has to come out sooner than budgeted for.............:coffee1:

If you know cars - used is the way to go. Much more selection, much greater value. But if you are like most you are SOL. And a Vios - or a Brio - or a March ?  Who would drive such a car when the used market is filled with quality cars delivering twice the comfort and performance for half the money ? People who know SFA about cars ... that's who

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

If you know cars - used is the way to go. Much more selection, much greater value. But if you are like most you are SOL. And a Vios - or a Brio - or a March ?  Who would drive such a car when the used market is filled with quality cars delivering twice the comfort and performance for half the money ? People who know SFA about cars ... that's who

We are talking about LOS regarding used stuff.........Not farangland.........:whistling:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Wish you luck then....:thumbsup:

Don't need luck. Have knowledge. And by the by ... speaking of Farangland in your post above ... Ain't that where you had that TA we have heard about for God knows how long and God knows how many times. Maybe a mirror is in order before you post.

Just now, canthai55 said:

Don't need luck. Have knowledge. And by the by ... speaking of Farangland in your post above ... Ain't that where you had that TA we have heard about for God knows how long and God knows how many times. Maybe a mirror is in order before you post.

Sorry don't understand your comparison...Give more info...:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

The dealership was a privately owned Toyota dealership not a franchise and therefore it's like any other private trading company they can buy and sell at how they please. . . . . . 

You seem to have misunderstood the difference between a Toyta dealer (only sells Toyotas) and a car dealer that sells Toyota and other makes of car. Many Toyota dealerships could be privately owned and are therefore are a franchise, in the same way that 7/11 shops are franchises 

However they are still a Toyota dealership no matter who is the owner and if a customer is not happy and writes to Toyota head office you can be sure that Toyota will not be pleased (assuming the complaint to be justified). AFIR the number of complaints affects the price the dealer pays for their cars.

Read many replies to this thread and don't care about arguments over New versus used cars. but

But what I am interested in is the OP's question. Has anyone who has tried or buy a car know anything about a Thai price versus  a foreign price?  Thank you for any information about this issue. 

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I think he was saying your tranny was nothing more than a tarted up March.

This is a secondhand car, almost 30 years old. Have racked up 15,000 km on it with no problems. Let me suggest if I was clumsy enough to hit a March or a tranny with it, I would demolish them. Mercedes 300CE.

IMG20170221151827.jpg

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

This is a secondhand car, almost 30 years old. Have racked up 15,000 km on it with no problems. Let me suggest if I was clumsy enough to hit a March or a tranny with it, I would demolish them. Mercedes 300CE.

Nice ride Bazza, how much that set ya back ?

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

The lid is a multi stage electric lid, remote control option, body colour Etc.

100,000 Baht Cash discount from sticker price

It doesn't take long to spend 80,000 Baht in options when you consider a Toyota liner tub is approx 6000 Baht . . . . First class insurance is 22000 Baht . . . . Pickup lid approx 27000 Baht . . . . External and internal options . . . . 

We purchased a new vehicle back in 2012 with my wife and stepson doing the negotiations and settled on a price, The price didn't vary when the salesperson found out it was I who was buying the vehicle. He did try to get me to put the car in the GF name saying at first he couldn't sell it to me, it had to be in the GFs name. I shook my head and told my GF  we were leaving to go and see about purchasing my second choice vehicle from Honda, sales man call us back and sold the said vehicle at quoted price. Did take over 3 months to get the 3,000 baht returned when returning the red plates. I agree with the options bit, just purchased a new vehicle in my home country,  didn't take long for the options in excess of $10,000.00